How to Drink Alcohol...

Options
I have seen a few threads about how to avoid alcohol when you're out, but my problem is I actually ENJOY alcohol. It's a part of my future career, it's a part of my dating life right now, and I could probably avoid it, but I feel more comfortable having 1-2 drinks when I'm going out than abstaining altogether. So what is everyone's go-to? Before I started my diet, my 'usual' was a gin and ginger ale, but bars so rarely stock diet ginger ale (or diet tonic) that I'm thinking of switching to something else.

Replies

• conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If you like the taste of Gin try Gin and Club Soda with lime or Lemon,anything with club soda increases the volume and decreases the calorie count. Also Ice Tea and Vodka called an Ice Pick are good.
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My first love was beer, all kinds of beer from the lightest of Cervezas Mexicanas to the highest gravity Imperial IPA's. About four months ago, my Father-in-law brought a sampler pack of Scotch Whisky with him when he came to visit. Since then, I really haven't had too much beer. I will have one 2 oz dram of Scotch every other night or maybe even less. I really try to make a ceremony out of it. I will smell for at least ten minutes, taste twice, add water, smell for another ten minutes, and taste again, all while taking tasting notes.

I guess what I'm getting at is make it an experience and not just another drink. Whether your drink of choice is beer, wine, or spirits, there is usually a good way to take your time and really make it last. With Whisky, someone took the care to put it into a barrel and let it sit for 10, 12, 25, or even 50 years so I'm going to make darn sure that I enjoy all of that hard work.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    My questions is why can't you go out and enjoy yourself without alcohol? Maybe that's your problem!
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I agree that schotch "sipping whisky" is a good choice- in fact, I'm planning to stop at our favotite shop in London where they sell you stuff straight out of the barrel (Cadenhead's) and drop a few hundred $$ this weekend. Do not adulterate your scotch with Coke, as I once saw a seatmate do on a plane flight!

I also like bloody marys- tomato juice is a good low-cal mixer.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    My questions is why can't you go out and enjoy yourself without alcohol? Maybe that's your problem!

I didn't see where it said she couldn't enjoy herself.
  • BecomingElle
    BecomingElle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I used to be a sucker for the sugary ones. Pretty much anything sweet and bubbly and probably in a stunning colour! hahaha

NOW my go-to order is a vodka lime soda. Simple. A vodka shot, soda water (calorie free), and a little piece of fresh lime. It doesn't even taste bitter to me or anything! And it's good because it's basically just carbonated water, so it keeps up your hydration and minimises hangovers. The only calories I'm consuming are from the actual alcohol itself! And I read somewhere that vodka is the best choice (in regards to calories for optimum intoxication :laugh: )

When I first tried it I thought it was bitter and foul... But last night I went out and ordered it all night! Then my friend couldn't remember my "new" usual order when she was at the bar and ordered me a vodka lemon lime and bitters. That used to be my go-to cheap drink and I took one sip and couldn't stand the sweetness! :)
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I actually love ordering a hard liquor (vodka, gin, tequilla) with club soda and then I pull out my secret stash; I keep a few individual packets of Crystal Light or Bob's drink mix powder in my purse and mix one in with my order.

I usually keep a variety on hand; lemondade, margarita mix, mango margarita mix, mojito, pomegranite, etc.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Its no more a problem than people who used food for comfort or whatever and got fat in the first place. Alcohol is a legal substance that our society uses as an evening out...bars namely. Being ignorant on the matter surely helps no one. I can easily go out and not drink, but I choose not to...much like the OP said.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I usually have a citrus vodka and soda with a lemon, pretty low impact on the calories. I also read somewhere that (if you enjoy them) getting an IPA (around 150 cals) is sometimes a smarter choice than going with light or ultra light beer(100 cals) . With light beer, it is easy to consume quickly and drink a lot of them, while with an IPA it is full flavored and can have a pretty high abv, so you end up sipping and enjoying your drink and drinking less.

Helpful hint: log each drink when you order it, this way you see the impact so you don't overdo it.

Cheers!
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have no qualms about finishing the evening with a glass of wine--when I'm not trying to lose weight, that is. I will cut moscato with sparkling water to cut calories. When I'm out, I have diet coke and rum, or light beer. Now that I'm trying to lose, I only drink on very special occasions.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I used to be a sucker for the sugary ones. Pretty much anything sweet and bubbly and probably in a stunning colour! hahaha

NOW my go-to order is a vodka lime soda. Simple. A vodka shot, soda water (calorie free), and a little piece of fresh lime. It doesn't even taste bitter to me or anything! And it's good because it's basically just carbonated water, so it keeps up your hydration and minimises hangovers. The only calories I'm consuming are from the actual alcohol itself! And I read somewhere that vodka is the best choice (in regards to calories for optimum intoxication :laugh: )

When I first tried it I thought it was bitter and foul... But last night I went out and ordered it all night! Then my friend couldn't remember my "new" usual order when she was at the bar and ordered me a vodka lemon lime and bitters. That used to be my go-to cheap drink and I took one sip and couldn't stand the sweetness! :)
    I agree 100% with this vodka club and lime are my go to!
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I actually love ordering a hard liquor (vodka, gin, tequilla) with club soda and then I pull out my secret stash; I keep a few individual packets of Crystal Light or Bob's drink mix powder in my purse and mix one in with my order.

I usually keep a variety on hand; lemondade, margarita mix, mango margarita mix, mojito, pomegranite, etc.

Great advice. I'll have to try the Crystal Light.
  • lozadee
    lozadee Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Glad we arnt judging someone asking a good question!

I like alcohol but last time i checked its not a problem for me or anyone around me...
  • KevinS62
    KevinS62 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've relegated myself to low-calorie beer. When I started this diet, I wanted to only have to cut down on my drinking, not cut it out all together. On Tuesday this week, I tried Budwieser Select 55, which only has 55 calories compared to my Bud Lights with 110 calories.

Still, I'm not saying I condone drinking alcohol during a diet, I'm just saying I'm not willing to completely give it up at this point. It really depends on the individual and that person's ultimate goal. And as far as I'm concerned, rather than needing to have 6-pack abs, I'd just like to enjoy a 6-pack now and then.
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Get real. Go talk to AA people about your addiction to judging and controlling
  • freshstart14
    freshstart14 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I also agree with everyone saying vodka/club with lime. I also sometimes order rum & diet coke because rum and coke was my go to pre dieting drink.

Also, I wish we could have these types of posts without people insinuating the OP has an alcohol problem!
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options

I didn't see where it said she couldn't enjoy herself.

This. I also enjoy having a cocktail or two - but that doesn't mean I have a problem. I could equally sit at a bar, restaurant, BBQ in a friends backyard, and not have a drink - but I enjoy a beer, glass of wine, or a cocktail now and then. I believe that's the point the OP is getting at. No where in her post was she speaking of getting wasted every time she goes out. I don't think she has a problem.

To the OP - a vodka/diet coke will only set you back approximately 80 or so calories (if the bartender only pours one shot!). I don't know the exact calories on a glass of wine, but a glass of wine is only a little over 100 calories for about 6 ounces. Beer - a light beer only has a litte over 100 calories as well. Those are my go-to cocktails! :smile:
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options

Great advice. I'll have to try the Crystal Light.

YUM. That sounds great!
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My go to is Ketle and Club or if I want a beer I go with Amstel light.
  • KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda 7 months ago, so when that happened I couldn't figure out how to drink lol My go to was bacardi and diet. I HATE vodka, which would be the obvious first choice, so I just stick to rum. I love rum, so ef it..... My go to is flavored bacardi and soda water. It's definitely not the best choice, but if you only have 2 when you go out it's really not awful. With that being said, if I'm going out I plan the booze in my log so I stay within my calories.