Things we learned as kids

Options
Timshel_
Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
I often say to people they need to go into things with kindergarten confidence. That is the time our minds are completely open and our curiousity normally outweighs our fears - the time before we let ourselves get in the way of ourselves. So I am sitting here eating my oatmeal with raisins (wishing it was a cream filled donut, gah!) and I remembered a Winnie the Pooh line. It was something about being smarter and stronger than you think. Of course, I am only as smart as Google anymore, so I did a search and found this quote the character Christopher Robbin says:

406274_483848744978145_1161055948_n.jpeg

So that is something I obviously learned as a kid that stuck in some way, shape or form. And though I might have let it fall to the back of my mind, it is still something I have brought from my childhood.

So what things did you learn as a kid that you still try to use or apply in your adult life?

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    1) I don't always have to color in the lines

2) instead of dwelling on something that i can't change that is making me upset, distract myself with something more desirable

3) i've had dirt in my mouth and survived, i don't need to carry a bottle of purell

4) ask for help when i need help

5) learning new things can be really fun

6) anything can be a drum
  • Timshel_
    Options
    6) anything can be a drum

Love this! I come from a musical family and we (well, Santa) just got the boys a drum set for Xmas. before that though, you could ALWAYS hear the kids of myself banging out a beat on somethings around the house.

Cheers.
  • 4x4play
    4x4play Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    not to talk to strangers
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    The Golden Rule.
    Too be nice and help people less fortunate than myself.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    not to talk to strangers

(she posted on an internet forum made up of a bunch of strangers :-) )
  • Timshel_
    Options
    lol.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    The Golden Rule.
    Too be nice and help people less fortunate than myself.

Good one. I try to apply that to everyone.
  • speedgoose
    Options
    Not to be self conscious about your own appearance....kids aren't worried that they're too fat or not pretty. They just play.
  • __stacyb
    __stacyb Posts: 306
    Options
    treat others the way you want to be treated :)
  • Timshel_
    Options
    Not to be self conscious about your own appearance....kids aren't worried that they're too fat or not pretty. They just play.

Very true. I have seen that kids do start learning to judge themselves and others on appearance younger. TV and marketing do a complete job of blitzing them with that bias.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Eat everything on your plate because there are children starving in India...yea, that worked out.
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Don't trust anyone.
    Friends are only out to hurt you.
    Drink your problems away.

I'm thinking thats not what you meant but I would rather die than continue the cycle. The things I try to instill in my children are much different:

Make sure the people you love know it.
    Always make strong eye contact.
    Treat others the way you want to be treated.
    Laugh everyday, all day
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options

Very true. I have seen that kids do start learning to judge themselves and others on appearance younger. TV and marketing do a complete job of blitzing them with that bias.

My daughter just started being self-concious this year-started Kindergarten and is 6 :(( And it begins!
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Anybody can control a woman's body...the key is to control her miiiind dig it?
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    Pick up your own room

Don't start using a word that you don't know the meaning of. (damn you Ricky Greene)

"I was doing a safety test" is not a valid reason for pushing a younger brother off the roof.

Never tell a kid who out weights you by 40 lbs "your arguments is erroneous. your facts do not support your theory". especially when that kid does not know those words and thinks you just called him a name.
  • speedgoose
    Options

My daughter just started being self-concious this year-started Kindergarten and is 6 :(( And it begins!

That's terrible!!! :(
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Cherish the friends you've known for a long time.
    New friends will step in, but never forget the ones who know you all too well
    They know too many secrets :laugh:
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Anybody can control a woman's body...the key is to control her miiiind dig it?

Mind control is overrated.
  • Tonya0605
    Tonya0605 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Eat everything on your plate because there are children starving in India...yea, that worked out.

^^ this
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    My mom drilled into our heads speak to others with kindness no matter the situation. I can't begin to count how many times this has helped me out at school and work, you never know why that person is lashing out.