5'10 female. Is 130 too low?

Options
Hello, Im 5'10 and my goal weight is 130. I checked the bmi and it sais im okay but looking at other people who are shorter are aiming for the same goal... What should I be aiming for?

Replies

• Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I think that is way too low.. My ideal weight at 5'4 is 124..
  • mlaz81
    mlaz81 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and my goal weight was 140. I'm 158 right now, and I don't know how much smaller I'm going to get, so I'm going to adjust my goal. It all depends on when you're losing how you look and feel when you get to a certain weight. Every person is different.
  • Sheacat
    Options
    I think it depends on your body. Frame, muscle, etc... I am not an expert though! I know for me (from past experience), 170 is about as low as I can go without looking anorexic, and I am 5'9".
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You should really be paying attention to your body fat percentage, not so much your weight

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

(I like the pictures at the bottom that give examples of people in the % ranges)

I think 130 is too low for 5'10" (my goal weight at 5'6" is 135...), but you will know a lot more as you get closer to that goal. Do not be afraid to up your goal weight if you realize it's unrealistic! No one knows what number appears on the scale, but everyone can see if you're getting fit and lean. Good luck! :)
  • acyndyquil
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and at 138lbs my BMI is 20. 18 is when it starts to be unhealthy and although it does say "healthy range" it is very close to being underweight.

Plus if you are building muscle than you'll weigh more anyways but still be slim and healthy (:
    BMI calculators on most sites are actually incorrect (new study - you could search BMI Calculator 2013 for the new one)
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Seems low. I ran it through a few online calculators and most are saying 140 to 175 would be the ideal range for health. I'd imagine that at 130 you'd have little muscle coupled with a low BF%. If your goal is to look attractive, that's not it. At least in my book.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly 6ft tall, i got down to 145 ONCE and that was WAY too low for me, i'm thinking 130 would be way to low for an avg 5'10 person.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hard to say ..... are you small boned. Someone with a slight build would be OK here .... large boned would be too low.

BMI is a "one size fits all" ....... a very muscular person (not a bad thing) .... might have a too high BMI.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    It is low for your height, but people carry weight differently.
    I'm 5'7" and currently 163 and I think 130 would look terrible on me.
  • cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on your body type... it sounds a little low to me but it may be perfectly fine for the right body. I'm 5'10" and aiming for 140-145 (and have a decent chest, butt, AND thighs) but looking for more muscle tone and shape instead of the actual number on the scale. You can probably decide as you get closer to that number how you feel about your body and adjust as needed. Good luck! :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    That's pretty low for your height. Also keep in mind that if you're in a healthy range or once you get into a healthy weight range, it becomes much more difficult to lose and it will be very slow going. Your body simply won't want to give up what little fat stores it has.

I would say focus more on body composition than hitting that particular number on the scale....i.e. more muscle, less fat.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I"m quite muscular and 5'9", and wouldn't go below 160 because I like being strong. Depends what your goals are.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    It is your world and your goals. We can only counsel you how to get to them. Your body structure and weight are up to you.

However, since you asked, sounds a little lean to me, for my preference. But again, your journey.

If i read your ticker correctly, looks like you have a bit to go. I would recommend setting some interim goals/stopping points along the journey. We need re-enforcement. If the goals are too far away, it is easy to get frustrated. maybe a 30 day goal, a 90 day goal, etc Celebrate them as you hit them along your journey.

The more we celebrate inlife, the more in life there wil be to celebrate!.

Now, as long as i am on my soapbox, i would encourage you not to focus just on weight. It is just a number. Focus on fitness and lifestyle. That will carry you through better. Honestly, if you are working out, in great shape and weighed 150 or 160, i bet you would, at your height, look fantastic. Just a thought for you!

Good luck!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and am 122#
    I have a very small frame
    I gain weight first in my tummy, butt & thighs and I just don't feel comfortable when I weigh much more than 125.
    I don't consider myself underweight
    I work out doing cardio and strength
    I am strong and healthy
    As long as you are eating a healthy, balanced diet, do what feels comfortable to you
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Genes and frame size/bone structure make a huge difference. I'm small boned and weigh 115 (I'm 5'8). Looking at that number, most people would say I'm way too skinny. But if you look at my photos, you'll see that I'm not.
  • KAYTEE234
    KAYTEE234 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's too low. I am 6'0 and at around 140-150 I was slim but healthy looking
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hello, Im 5'10 and my goal weight is 130. I checked the bmi and it sais im okay but looking at other people who are shorter are aiming for the same goal... What should I be aiming for?

Actually, your Ideal Body weight for your height is 150 lb. +/- 10%, this is 100 lb for the first 5 feet and 5 lb for each add'l. inch. This is using the Hamwi formula. So the lowest would be 135 lb. So, 130 lb is a bit too low for you. Hope this helps. I have a degree in Nutrition and this is what I was taught and what is widely used for Nutr. Assess. purposes.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Lift as you lose.
    When you see the body you want...stop losing.

I'm betting you'll stop at more than 130 lbs.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    When you are in the range of weight that you have to ask that question, then the best thing to do is get an examination done. Have you Blood Sugar, Cholestoral, and Body Fat% checked. If THOSE things are in the healthy range, then you're fine at 130.
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Too low.

5'10" Female.
    Results:
    According to your height of 5' 10" your ideal healthy weight is 156 pounds. Your recommended weight range is between 139 and 173 pounds.