Burger King admits it sold burgers with horse

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Of course the fact that BK itself was checking the meat from it's suppliers, that it involved other companies (including TESCO) and this meat apparently wasn't served by BK, isn't relevant to the OP or anyone else? Great hatchet job there.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/02/01/170873657/wheres-the-beef-burger-king-finds-horsemeat-in-its-patties

Meh, Most people are reacting to the OP... I know I was... not the issue at hand.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Of course the fact that BK itself was checking the meat from it's suppliers, that it involved other companies (including TESCO) and this meat apparently wasn't served by BK, isn't relevant to the OP or anyone else? Great hatchet job there.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/02/01/170873657/wheres-the-beef-burger-king-finds-horsemeat-in-its-patties

details....details...
  • moonshadows72
    moonshadows72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    so what have we learned by all this???? HORSE MEAT TASTES GREAT!
  • lilteepot
    Options

It's the supplier (of BK and of Tesco) who were selling mislabeled meat. Two weeks ago when the story broke that the supplier had included horse in the "beef" burgers, BK immediately and adamantly claimed that their supply had not been affected instead of pulling their supply "just to be safe" like Aldi did, they lied to save face. THAT's the problem. Not the horse meat, but the lack of integrity.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    all i can say is serves you all right for eating that cr@p! lol :laugh:
  • jamie610811
    jamie610811 Posts: 1,735 Member
    Options
    Now I know why I like being whipped :laugh:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I have issues with them misselling their product, along with all the supermarkets, but honestly I see no harm in eating horse meat as long as it's safe. I remember getting abuse for eating venison and rabbit- but its leaner and is more likely eaten and lived better then beef cows- so what if its cuter?

I prefer venison... Bison and deer is all I have had though... haven't tried rabbit, though I have always wanted to. Way leaner meats, at this point it's more environmental to hunt meat than to purchase it in the grocery store, and it's healthier as their feed isn't some manufactured (by)product made up of mostly corn.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't object to eating horse - it's actually a pretty healthy meat choice.

I WOULD, however, object to being told it was beef when it wasn't. I find it objectionable anytime I pay for one thing and receive something different. Double-y so, if it's something I intend to eat.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Meh.

Horse meat. Cow meat. All the same.

except that it's dishonest if you tell people it's one animal when it's another. I live in the Gulf and the supermarket staff always check that I know I'm buying camel meat when I buy it, because most westerners don't want to eat it.

What sort of meals do you make with camel meat? I love trying new things. I'm addicted to shows like bizarre foods. :)

mostly I just buy the mince, because camel on the bone takes hours to cook to be tender. I use it the same as minced beef to make stuff like camel lasagne, camel bolognaise, etc. It's not that different to beef in terms of taste and macros, just that it tends to be much tougher though I've not found that to be an issue with the mince.
  • danijolson
    danijolson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love this..... I don't see why people can freak out over eating a horse, yet its okay to torture, kill and chow down on a cow. Just because you don't have a personal relationship with one doesn't make it better..
    FU48Cx2l.jpg
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Now I know why I like being whipped

HELLO :bigsmile:
  • TheRealPDouble
    Options
    so what have we learned by all this???? HORSE MEAT TASTES GREAT!

...bingo
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    FU48Cx2l.jpg

is that cow trying to eat the horse?!
    tumblr_mggjkojtuu1rkb0m7o1_500.gif

Mwah ha ha... if horse meat is good enough for the cow to eat, its good enough for me!!!!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Yummy horse meat.
  • boonognog
    boonognog Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Would it be wrong to call bull on this?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Here in the UK, the big fuss was that Tesco had Horse meat, or Horse DNA in it's burgers/mince.

I'm not sure that I even heard BK mentioned in our news bulletins as so much fuss was being made over the supermarkets.

The other major supermarkets also cleared their shelves of all their products, (Adsa, Sainsburys etc).

Seems like they all, BK included, bought the meat in good faith, and the supplier was at fault.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Meh... not a fan anyway.

But people don't want to eat horse meat because that is not what they are bred for. Cows are bred for meat. (For the PETA sponsors in this thread...)
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

It's the supplier (of BK and of Tesco) who were selling mislabeled meat. Two weeks ago when the story broke that the supplier had included horse in the "beef" burgers, BK immediately and adamantly claimed that their supply had not been affected instead of pulling their supply "just to be safe" like Aldi did, they lied to save face. THAT's the problem. Not the horse meat, but the lack of integrity.

Read the article. Here's another one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/31/burger-king-horsemeat-admits-tainted_n_2593538.html

Where's the evidence that BK lied? From what I'm reading, it was the Polish supplier that lied and possibly Silvercrest, but I'm not seeing any evidence that BK itself did. Please provide a link if you have one. That way, we are getting facts and not speculation and sensationalism.
  • NdBuk
    NdBuk Posts: 25
    Options
    Isn't the whole point about this about getting what you pay for though?

Regardless of whether or not you care about eating horse, the point is that instead of the beef you paid for, you're actually getting cheaper horsemeat to pad it out.

Sure' I'll try a horse steak but if this is supposedly a cheaper meat I expect it to be labelled and priced accordingly.

Apparently SwanBurgers are frowned upon though...
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Moooo. I mean neighhhhhh. No wonder Whoppers are so tasty.