Burger King admits it sold burgers with horse

Options

Replies

• ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I don't know about disgusting, but I don't eat horse because of the emotion it holds to it - and that would probably be the same for any other animal if I loved cows or chickens or something like that. I think Westerners (mainly Americans) just don't want to eat horse because we have thought of them as pets for so long. Cows can be pets too, but they are mainly bred for meat and that's just how we think of it.

For example, if I were to eat horse meat, in my mind, I would be offending my grandma, who loved horses her whole life, and that just doesn't feel right to me.

Meat wise, I hear it's very good, and has a lot of good fats.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If it was their supplier that was misleading the product then how is that BK's fault?

Either way though, I used to work at Burger King when I was in college briefly and I have horror stories about how they handled the food there. That place was absolutely disgusting. I never eat there
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    just might make the C25K work smother LOL
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    This is a true headline. I know a lot of countries do eat horse, but I'd find it very concerning If I'd bought a produce claiming it was one kind of meat and it was another. I'd expect better from any food chain, especially a large one. Got to wonder what else they are serving their customers!

Luckily I don't eat at burger king and I don't eat cheap value burgers at Tesco either! I can fully understand why people are Outraged. . It's not a nice thought that you have no idea what's in your food.

I use a good butchers I trust and cook mostly from scratch, but I'd hate to think that on the odd occasion I order out, I'm eating so something very different to what I think I am.

Meat is heavily regulated here.. Makes you wonder if the horses could have been diseased? These Companies are obviously unscrupulous so what's to say the quality of the meat is good? The food standards agency have okayed it very quickly, but I feel that so they can save face.

So glad I'm no longer a fast food junkie! X
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I can see how it could be upsetting. Not really gross. My thing would be because horses, similar to dogs, have distinct personalities. I have never had a pet chicken, pig or cow, so I really don't know about them. It makes it easier to eat them I guess.

All animals have personalities, generally you only really get to know them if you spend time with them. Alot of people think its disgusting that I know and have seen the majority of the animals I eat before they're butchered- I'm lucky enough to live near a farmer/butcher family who, as you can guess, farm the animals in the local fields then butchers and sells them in the shop in the village. Sure I miss the cows that come to the gate when I walk past and lick my hand, but I also know it's being bred and reared to become meat which has always made me more respectful for it.

It's a bug bear of mine that the majority of people distance themselves as far away as possible from the animals they eat so that they can be guilt free and carefree towards something as precious as meat. I'm not saying that the lady I quoted from has this ideal, though, it's a general annoyance.
  • Ilovevwgolf
    Ilovevwgolf Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    ....and I was wondering why I was a bit 'jumpy' last night after having the Double Whopper..!:laugh:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm more annoyed that they said it's beef when it's actually horse. I want to know what I'm getting in my food regardless of if it's safe or disgusting or not.

At the end of the day though, it's no more disgusting in my mind than eating cow is (and I eat that)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have issues with them misselling their product, along with all the supermarkets, but honestly I see no harm in eating horse meat as long as it's safe. I remember getting abuse for eating venison and rabbit- but its leaner and is more likely eaten and lived better then beef cows- so what if its cuter?

I prefer venison... Bison and deer is all I have had though... haven't tried rabbit, though I have always wanted to. Way leaner meats, at this point it's more environmental to hunt meat than to purchase it in the grocery store, and it's healthier as their feed isn't some manufactured (by)product made up of mostly corn.

I've heard the cuter the animal, the yummier their meat. Of course I've never tested the theory by tasting a puppy, but...
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Lots of people eat horse meat. How is that any more disgusting than eating a cow?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Going to have to get some stuff from here if I ever have some money to spare...
    http://www.exoticmeats.co.uk/horse-burgers.html

As a kid we lived in Papua new Guinea and travelled around a bit.
    When we went to New Zealand we stayed with a family that had a house-trained pet sheep. And yes, I think lamb/mutton was also served one of the days we were there :).
    Kangaroo, crocodile and shark weren't uncommon around that area.

Unfortunately you can't get cheap horse meat in the UK it seems - I'd quite like a generally-leaner alternative to beef.
    I do but bambi grill-steaks now and then, but find the meat bought as a steak it's self can be a bit variable.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Of course the fact that BK itself was checking the meat from it's suppliers, that it involved other companies (including TESCO) and this meat apparently wasn't served by BK, isn't relevant to the OP or anyone else? Great hatchet job there.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/02/01/170873657/wheres-the-beef-burger-king-finds-horsemeat-in-its-patties

No, it matters to me, glad you posted this. Thanks!
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    MMMMMM Horse.....
    3bfcc3f8_homer-simpson-drooling-261x300.jpeg
    GGGggrrrrgghhh...
  • Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    FU48Cx2l.jpg

is that cow trying to eat the horse?!
    I think it might be foreplay before they move on to trying to produce an animal that will make it easier to include beef and horse in the same burger later on. :tongue: The names for this new beast being bandied about at the moment are a How or a Corse. :wink:

Nothing wrong with a bit of horse, low fat and high protein. Most of the people you see in the media getting Irate about this are those who are happy to feed their kids stuff like Turkey Twizzlers or Billy Bear Meat (which contains no bear) and the horse meat will definitely be a dietary improvement over that.
  • jedibunny
    Options
    Would it be wrong to call bull on this?

I'm not sure if you were trying to be funny there, but I'm grinning hard. As hard as Loki and Thor.
    tom-chris-giggles.jpg
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    horse meat has higher protein and less fat .... ill be ordering some :)
  • trb85
    trb85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

I think a lot of people are putting the cart before the horse right now.
  • Coffeeholic8
    Options

I think a lot of people are putting the cart before the horse right now.
    But your not going to want to eat the cart, way too much fibre. :tongue:
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I never liked Burger King ever. I liked ampm's hamburgers better lol God only knows what those are made of :huh:
  • Coffeeholic8
    Options
    just might make the C25K work smother LOL
    Or you might feel like adding hurdles into the run. :tongue:
  • Bufta217
    Options
    I own two horses (no cows though), and have eaten horse, and lots of much cuter animals. I too find it slightly weird how the western world has distanced animals and meat, and find it slightly hypocritical for those who eat and enjoy meat can't even consider it being from an animal, let alone kill it themselves. I've shot bunnies and eaten the delicious results, slaughtered goats and in Africa, and although it’s not the most pleasant experience, I'd do it again.

Anyhoo back to the original point: horses in the UK have to be declared in or out of the human food chain, some horses are given vaccines and medicines that make them unfit for human consumption. I'm not sure where the burger ponies came from, but I think that that would be a concern for me.

Sadly both of my horses are out of the food chain, and unless I get really desperate for food (zombie apocalypse) they won’t get eaten by me.