confession: I am a serial baker

Options
There are a lot of posts out there right now about the "terrible colleagues who are constantly bringing in baked goods and other bad for you foods" that tempt them beyond compare. And the general sentiment is that these goodie purveyors are rather like drug dealers, or worse yet, old world grandmothers, the kind that constantly heap more on your plate telling you to "eat! you're too skinny!".

Well here's my confession....I am that colleague.

And you know what? It's not about you!

I bring in baked goods on a regular basis, I have a side cake business and I often have leftovers, and sometimes I crave something at home and I don't buy baked goods, I make them, and then I end up with way more than I can legitimately consume within my macros. So guess where it goes? To the office! up for grabs! I am not trying to destroy anyone's diet, I don't want to sabotage people, and I NEVER press someone to eat the goodies. If they want them? they're available. If they tell me they're losing weight? I don't even let them know I've brought something in.

My guess is? 80-90% of the people that bring in goodies are doing so because when that 2:00 sugar crash happens people appreciate having something available. They do it to be nice, not because they are Beelzebub. And I'm betting that a fair few, like me, don't want to eliminate the delicious from their diet, but can only moderate by making sure that the remainder gets distributed among the masses. If that makes us terrible? well, so be it.

I'm guessing I'm going to get judged for this one, but frankly I don't care so much, because I've found an AMAZING side benefit to being the office baker. When I make sweets, I crave them less. When I have something fabulous and home made sitting in my office? I am less likely to eat something store bought. After all, I know exactly what's in my 200 calorie cookie bar, and I bet it will be a crapload more satisfying than the timbits that someone has on offer. It's like an inoculation against the temptations other people bring in. Right at this moment I have cookie bars, rocket candies and peanut butter cookies in my office, if I want a treat I don't have to go anywhere for it...but these things have been on offer all week, and I haven't had a single one during office hours. For some reason, the knowledge that I CAN is enough.

Replies

• lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    You could be my serial baker/enabler colleague any day! I love me some cake!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I can always find room in my calories for a cupcake. My macros? Maybe not. . . but if it's cupcake day, macros be damned. :smile:
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'll admit, I'm a serial baker and cookie pusher also. I make scones for office fundraisers.

I bring stuff in since if it sat at my house, I'd be the one to eat it all. My husband can have 1 cookie out of a whole batch and call it good....and since I don't want to eat all of them, I bring them in, and just leave them out on the table in the break room.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I love baking too! My husband thinks I should *start* a side business, but I haven't yet. I just love to eat freshly baked goods. That's the truth.
  • lem_orc29
    lem_orc29 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm a baker too! It relaxes me. It's stress relief. I tried to not bake and it made me feel a little empty inside. I bake and take it to work so I won't eat it all myself. :) Bake on!
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I just love to bake..... well I pretty much like to cook all together haha and I love sharing :0
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm a serial baker too, although my stuff never makes it to the office. Usually I have no trouble staying under my calorie goals as long as I don't binge on the stuff I bake.
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    That's me, too! I love baking and bringing in treats to my coworkers, and they love me for it...luckily no complaints about it from them! They always want to know when I'm bringing in something next. I'll usually bake stuff over the weekend, freeze some and bring the rest to work. Or take it to friends.
  • healthy4heidi
    healthy4heidi Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yes, I saw those posts too and felt awful for bringing my baked goods into the office. I don't push them on anyone either but I love baking and hate wasting food. I probably should quit my job and work at a bakery but that won't pay the bills. Just be glad you don't work in my office. =)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I bake a lot too. Just learned how to make buttercream frosting, and have been able to ice cupcakes with just a plastic bag with a hole cut in it. I don't even eat them most of the time. The bad thing about it, is that I leave them out for my diabetic future MIL and my morbidly obese future BIL. But then again, they're adults and if they choose to eat things that are unhealthy, it's really on them, not me. I bake because I like to create things.
  • Louder4
    Louder4 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm a serial baker too! I do it just because I enjoy it and love to surprise my kids/hubby/friends with my latest creation. I do however only leave out half a batch, other half goes right to the freezer. Also sweets aren't really my thing to binge on, um hello wine!
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Actually, I don't think it's bringing in treats that is the problem so much as trying to force them on people. I bring in baked goods too, but I just put them on a plate in the lunch room with a note saying "Help yourself." I also try and make healthier treats--containing wheat germ, flax seed, baby food (pureed carrots or squash are easy to hide in muffins and don't affect the taste) and that sort of thing.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago, I made so many cookies/cakes/breads that when I took them to my family in Denver, my SIL threated to make me sleep on the porch if I ever brought that many again.

We are having friends over for dinner tomorrow night. I'm making a rare non-"diet" meal for all of us. My friend is bringing dessert. She loves to make it, she, her hubs and my hubs love to eat it. I love to eat it too, esp. when it's chocolate. I will not be having any, probably not even a "taste". With my meal, my calories won't allow for it unless I run a marathon first. BUt-I am so pleased that she is making something from scratch and my hubs can have it and so can they. And I don't ever feel like she is trying to sabotage me. I am an adult grown woman and I have the coice to eat or not. Nobody is holding a gun to my head. And she knows I need to lose more tonnage, so she understands.

You keep on baking and show them this reply!

(I hope she doesn't bring cookies :noway: ) If she does, I still won't eat them, it's just harder to resist.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My sister is a serial baker. I think she just really enjoys creating beautiful little works of art and sharing them with her co-workers. I would imagine it must make her feel really good to be recognized for her talent. Plus the goodies generally make people feel happy when they see them so I don't think it's done as a way to corrupt everyone. Personally, I love baking and cooking but rarely eat those types of sweets.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I like to bake but I don't like eating all the brownies or cookies (or whatever I make). I like a little but no way can I eat all I make. And I don't like to mess with halving a recipe.

I've never forced anyone to try them. Like others, just put them out with a sign or in a designated "free food" spot. They usually disappear pretty quickly.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    i'm one of them! right now i'm experimenting with gum paste, fondant, marzipan, and sugar paste flowers. want to make mini cakes for my MIL's for mothers day with their favorite flowers. also, I want to be a professional cake decorator.
  • TxLdy3
    TxLdy3 Posts: 31
    Options
    I LOVE to cook and bake too! It's my stree-reliever also as funny as that sounds. It's not hard @ all to cook and bake & only eat a small portion......My family, neighboe & co-workers LOVE when I share :) Now I workout to relieve stress but I cook @ least 4 days a week and am down to baking something at least once a week.
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I love your post. Thank you for sharing.
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    That's pretty awesome. I generally suck as baking. Well, I can make awesome bread from scratch, but all desserts and goodies suffer a slow, painful death straight into the trash. Lol...

I think goodies once in a while is awesome. I don't see why people act like it's the Devil.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I love baking to but try and use low cal/low fat options, such as banana instead of butter/margarine; half the amount of sugar; making mini cakes so that I can have a small piece of indulgence.