Reaching forty

Options

Replies

• NCSteveVH
    NCSteveVH Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Is there a "reaching 50" thread? Ugh....
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Just turned 45 and I keep noticing all these 25-ish guys hanging around.

I'm mean, I'd still hit it. Probably twice.
  • 25daniow
    25daniow Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just turned 40 in December and just look at is as a number and nothing else. My state of mind is that i'm healthy, active, and much more comfortable with myself than I ever was when I was younger so I don't mind getting older…I say bring it on!!!
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    Reaching 40 wasn't so bad (of course I baby a few weeks before my 40th birthday, so I barely had time to notice the milestone). Now at 44, I still feel pretty good. My 7-year-old niece was impressed that I can still do a cartwheel.

On the other hand, I now need reading glasses. Menus in dimly lit restaurants are the worst.

And I find it to be true what they say about having to choose between whether you want your face or your butt to look fabulous. When my weight and body fat % get to the point where i am happy in a bikini (at about 19 for both BMI and body fat %), my face starts to look a little gaunt.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    That moment when you type something long and meaningful only to realize...

"Mrder37 has deactivated their account."

Facepalm.
    -flips table and exists with head down-
  • Tennolina
    Tennolina Posts: 2,413
    Options
    I'm 43. I think the hardest thing for me is REALIZING that I'm 43. My mind still thinks I'm much younger than that.
  • MichaelVRenner
    MichaelVRenner Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Life can give you squeaky wheels. Build and tone your muscles, eat healthy, regular cardio... that is all you can ask for. You will reap the benefits in the long run.

As for you hair falling out, it could be a bit of age/stress, but make sure you are getting your proper amount of vitamins and minerals in your diet. Deficiencies can produce hair loss.

Good luck.
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    ^^ this ... And doc says I not 21 anymore ...
    I'm not far off forty and I've noticed some things happening to me like whatever hair I'm losing of my head turns up on my ears or nose ,also mY knee clicks and in the morning I'm as stiff as **** what is hitting you hard about the big 4 o

Yup ... Yup .... Yep that too ... Worst is arthritis in my knees ... Stronger then I've ever been but joints are failing me :/
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Just turned 55 and am reclaiming my youth, well sorta. Its sure harder to drop the weight than it use to be
  • jenn2375
    jenn2375 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Im pushing 40 and feeling and seeing the difference......my skin is so much drier and definitely a little more challenging to lose weight .....I have faith that a healthy diet and exercise will ease the signs of aging though.
  • michellerawrrr_72
    michellerawrrr_72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just turned 42 and I love it! Yes my joints ache a little more now, I require more sleep and more trips to the hair salon! State of mind, it's all relative!
  • PghPensFan69
    PghPensFan69 Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options

Facepalm.

Yeah, kind of bizarre to have a thread from last February getting bumped
  • holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm loving my 40's. I wish I would've felt this good in my 20's and most of my 30's! Keep training and it keeps getting better and better!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I think 40 was the age where when I stooped down to look at something I had to make the "oof" noise to stand back up again.

Having said that - the photo on the left half of my profile pic was my 40th birthday party. The photo on the right half was taken a few days before my 45th birthday on my way to a 5K. My knees (and the rest of me) feel better than they have in 20 years.

But I still take glucosamine every day. :smile:
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Facepalm.

Good topic anyway.
  • PghPensFan69
    PghPensFan69 Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options

Facepalm.

Good topic anyway.

I agree. 44 and in the best shape since my teens
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Last year, I started trying to get back in shape, and at 42, I am probably in better shape than I was at anytime during my 30s, and working on trying to get to the best shape of my life. Honestly, if it was not for grey hair in my goate, and maybe that my body takes a little longer to recover, I might dare my 40s, by saying 40 is still very young. Age is a state of mind, and I think when you are in shape or taking care of yourself, that state of mind is much younger.
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about 40. I just see Cristy Brinkley on tv and she is 60. She looks better at 60 then most of us did at 20. You can't stop aging unless you die so stop worrying about it.:drinker:
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I've had some health stuff, and I look older, but I wouldn't replace where I am in my life now for the world:)
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    I'll be 40 in May and recently saw this posted on FB:

Andy Rooney's thoughts on women over forty:

As I grow in age, I value women who are over forty most of all. Here are just a few reasons why: A woman over forty will never wake you in the middle of the night to ask, “What are you thinking?” She doesn’t care what you think.
    If a woman over forty doesn’t want to watch the game, she doesn’t sit around whining about it. She does something she wants to do. And, it’s usually something more interesting.
    A woman over forty knows herself well enough to be assured in who she is, what she is, what she wants and from whom. Few women past the age of forty give a hoot what you might think about her or what she’s doing.
    Women over forty are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won’t hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.
    Older women are generous with praise, often undeserved. They know what it’s like to be unappreciated.
    A woman over forty has the self-assurance to introduce you to her women friends. A younger woman with a man will often ignore even her best friend because she doesn’t trust the guy with other women. Women over forty couldn’t care less if you’re attracted to her friends because she knows her friends won’t betray her.
    Women get psychic as they age. You never have to confess your sins to a woman over forty. They always know.
    A woman over forty looks good wearing bright red lipstick. This is not true of younger women. Once you get past a wrinkle or two, a woman over forty is far sexier than her younger counterpart.
    Older women are forthright and honest. They’ll tell you right off if you are a jerk, if you are acting like one! You don’t ever have to wonder where you stand with her.
    Yes, we praise women over forty for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, it’s not reciprocal. For every stunning, smart, well-coiffed hot woman of forty-plus, there is a bald, paunchy relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some twenty-two-year-old waitress. Ladies, I apologize.For all those men who say, “Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,” here’s an update for you. Now 80 percent of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it’s not worth buying an entire pig, just to get a little sausage.