6 Nations Rugby

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Sadly so far this year the six nations has had some interesting results. I say sadly because the games have been pretty uninspiring.

I'm English, my housemate is French. There are many things to taunt a Frenchy about...
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    - not being Welsh is just one of them, huh?
  • Fatguy2Fitguy
    Fatguy2Fitguy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Swing looooooooooooow.........sweeeeeeeet chariottttttt.......:drinker:

Nice little warm up game to start the tournament........lol

I'll wait for that to come back and bite me in the *kitten*!

I love the fact the English have adopted this song...especially as it originates from the deep Welsh valleys!

Good luck but I think this is your year:grumble: :grumble:
    It originates in Oklahoma - but it does reach its most glorious moments in the valleys of south Wales (unless you count that lot from Oooop North). It's the song that the Scots get away with that amuses me - has no one actually listened to the words? ( ...and sent him homeward to think again")

I'm Scottish and hate Flower of Scotland, I don't understand why an anthem should be anti another nation. It should just be patriotic.

But while on the subject, God save the Queens no better "And like a torrent rush, Rebellious Scots to crush".

Just hoping for a good tournament and some great Rugby from all
  • kaylemartin
    kaylemartin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    OMG. so glad that there some Welsh rugby fans on here! Cymru am byth!

Valley's girl here! (Caerphilly area)
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options

I love the fact the English have adopted this song...especially as it originates from the deep Welsh valleys!

It originates in Oklahoma - but it does reach its most glorious moments in the valleys of south Wales (unless you count that lot from Oooop North). It's the song that the Scots get away with that amuses me - has no one actually listened to the words? ( ...and sent him homeward to think again")

I'm Scottish and hate Flower of Scotland, I don't understand why an anthem should be anti another nation. It should just be patriotic.

But while on the subject, God save the Queens no better "And like a torrent rush, Rebellious Scots to crush".

It actually isn't an anti English song, it is only anti Edward II, and calling for the Scot's to unite again one day, the lyrics never actually attack us English, unlike the above attack on the Scots.

Personally think it's a great song for match day, along with the Irish and Welsh anthems.

I know God Save the Queen is the official anthem but personally, think the English should have 2 like the Irish, one as the official and the other to stir the blood!
  • melw2910
    melw2910 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Wales all the way, they may not get the title this year but they will always be my team!!!!
  • amyjax
    amyjax Posts: 102
    Options
    Flower of Scotland a capella at Murrayfield makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every single time. 'Mon the Scots! :drinker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PxZqb9D_5Y
  • Fatguy2Fitguy
    Options
    Flower of Scotland a capella at Murrayfield makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every single time. 'Mon the Scots! :drinker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PxZqb9D_5Y

When the pipe band play Highland Cathedral before the team run out it has the same effect on me. (Great tune, written by 2 german pipe enthusiasts).
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    You have hairs on the back of your neck?
  • Fatguy2Fitguy
    Options

It actually isn't an anti English song, it is only anti Edward II, and calling for the Scot's to unite again one day, the lyrics never actually attack us English, unlike the above attack on the Scots.

Personally think it's a great song for match day, along with the Irish and Welsh anthems.

I know God Save the Queen is the official anthem but personally, think the English should have 2 like the Irish, one as the official and the other to stir the blood!

To be fair hate was probably too strong a word, I just don't like references to others in an anthem. I belt it out at Murrayfield with the best of them. (Although thankfully theres a few thousand people drowning out my awful singing).

I totally agree England should get a stirring anthem, get's the fans going as well as the team (Although Dallaglio never seemed to have that problem)
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    I don't think it discriminates between just which Edward it is anti - but I'd assumed it was Edward I.

I hadn't come across the aforementioned verse in God Save The Queen - can we have it in full, please?
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I don't think it discriminates between just which Edward it is anti - but I'd assumed it was Edward I.

I hadn't come across the aforementioned verse in God Save The Queen - can we have it in full, please?

I always thought it was about Edward I (Longshanks) and William Wallace. Turns out it is actually about Robert the Bruce and Edward II and the battle of Bannockburn.

1. God save our gracious Queen,
    Long live our noble Queen,
    God save the Queen!
    Send her victorious,
    Happy and glorious,
    Long to reign over us;
    God save the Queen!

2. O Lord our God arise,
    Scatter her enemies
    And make them fall;
    Confound their politics,
    Frustrate their knavish tricks,
    On Thee our hopes we fix,
    God save us all!

3. Thy choicest gifts in store
    On her be pleased to pour;
    Long may she reign;
    May she defend our laws,
    And ever give us cause
    To sing with heart and voice,
    God save the Queen!

4. Not in this land alone,
    But be God's mercies known,
    From shore to shore!
    Lord make the nations see,
    That men should brothers be,
    And form one family,
    The wide world over.

5. From every latent foe,
    From the assassins blow,
    God save the Queen!
    O'er her thine arm extend,
    For Britain's sake defend,
    Our mother, prince, and friend,
    God save the Queen!

6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade
    May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush,
    And like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush.
    God save the Queen!
  • paul_draper
    paul_draper Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Is Choctaw County in Wales?
  • amyjax
    amyjax Posts: 102
    Options
    You have hairs on the back of your neck?

DAMMIT I HAVE HORMONE IMBALANCE ISSUES!! :bigsmile:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    My 2 favourite anthems today. Wales (of course) v Scotland.

Playing at home I suspect Scotland will win the anthems, but I'm going for Wales by 7.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Woop - Everton followed by 2 six nations games - great timing, won't be getting much done this afternoon though :laugh:
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Im not particularly invested in rugby, but I will say my trip to NZ put my heart there... so I gotta say.. ALL BLACKS!! :)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Im not particularly invested in rugby, but I will say my trip to NZ put my heart there... so I gotta say.. ALL BLACKS!! :)

Nice choice - but they aren't in this tournament :wink:

Just England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, France and Italy :flowerforyou:
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    GO AMERICA!!!!!!!!

Oh wait....:grumble:

Lol just in for the tag. Love rugby but being American makes it hard to pick one team sometimes so WTH watch em all. Well when theyre not on at 4 am here at least.
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Nice choice - but they aren't in this tournament :wink:

Just England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, France and Italy :flowerforyou:

woops HAHAH