should one eat bread if trying to lose weight????

Options

Replies

• rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Depends on your body too. I dont limit carbs, however if I eat bread, even 100% whole wheat bread, its hard to lose weight even with keeping within my calories. I switched to ezekiel bread, thats not made with flour, and the weight started coming off. Maybe its the gluten in floured bread, I dont know.

There's gluten in Ezekiel bread, too. It's just that the wheat, barley and spelt berries are not ground and kneaded into a dough.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Carbs are tough on some folks. Harvard did a study that showed that those on higher carb diets were less likely to lose weight than higher protein diets when eating and watching their calories. That said, unless your bread is whole grain, it's just processed junk and probably loaded with sodium. I think thee are better choices.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It depends on the type of bread.
    White bread? No.
    Whole wheat/multi-grain? Yes.

Yeah, because whole wheat bread/ multigrain has some magical properties where the calories don't count? :noway:

No, but it has more fibre, takes longer to digest, raises blood sugars slowly (very impt for Diabetics,) keeps you full for longer, and has more nutrients!! It's a no brainer, which is better for you.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I have a meal in mpf called "its peanut butter jelly time"

I eat it all the time, and it includes bread. But I have to sing the song and do the dace before I eat it, so its really like a zero calorie food for me.

106042_o.gif
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Love me some bread! though I do not eat as much as I used to. I buy whichever whole grain/wheat bread has the least amount of ingredients. Great harvest bread co., has a honey whole wheat bread, that is very delicious. and it is dense, so you can eat less and be satisfied of that bread craving. sometimes i just have to have toast! :)
  • naterar
    naterar Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use the Ezekiel Bread when and if I have it, I too try to limit carbs and this bread is low carb, low calorie. Also it is orgainc and uses sprouted grains. Good for a sandwich and to use as toast with Almond Butter.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It depends on the type of bread.
    White bread? No.
    Whole wheat/multi-grain? Yes.

Yeah, because whole wheat bread/ multigrain has some magical properties where the calories don't count? :noway:

No, but it has more fibre, takes longer to digest, raises blood sugars slowly (very impt for Diabetics,) keeps you full for longer, and has more nutrients!! It's a no brainer, which is better for you.

Please take a look at the title of the post. The question is not what bread is better for you. Also, whole grain bread has more fiber and SLIGHTLY more micronutrients. There are those in the antigrain crowd who would argue that the bran and germ have 'toxins" that are inflammatory and if you are going to have a grain product at all, it should be just for the starch value and should be a refined grain with the "toxins" removed. I personally don't subscribe to this, for the record.

The bottom line is, it makes little to no difference for weight loss whether you eat bread or not and the difference between whole grain breads and refined flour breads is marginal at best and debatable by some (diabetics excluded as this thread has never been about diabetics). Hardly a no brainer.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with bread? I've eaten bread pretty much everyday and have lost almost 26kg.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    There is a bread by nickles that is 35 calories a slice as opposed to 70 calories a slice for regular bread. They make white and whole grain versions of it. You can have bread if you want but you'll still need to count it of course. I personally limit bread and carbs though just because I feel it leads me to crave things.

And then we'll hear about how they can't make their #s. Just eat the bread you like and fit it into your goals. I eat white, multigrain, whole grain - whatever I'm in the mood for. Whether it is 70 cals a slice or 120 cals a slice...just fit it into your calories goals/below your TDEE and you'll be fine.
  • courtwhitear
    courtwhitear Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My favorite bread is Dave's Killer Bread or Ezekiel. It is REAL bread, made with 100% whole wheat flour (or no flour at all in some kinds...) and has lots of nuts and seeds. I only eat a slice of bread a day, but it is super yummy and full of fiber, protein and healthy fats. So yes, eat bread, but eat good hearty bread. :)
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I avoided bread until I got closer to my goal weight. Now I eat some whole grains, never white breat. Focus on lean protean and veggies.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just eat at a sensible deficit...manage your macros if you like and have specific goals that necessitate it. If it fits in your macros and calorie goals then it's fine. I love bread, but it's pretty limited for me as 60% of my diet is comprised of protein and healthy fats and only 40% carbs.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    We all can only respond based on our own experiences. In my many years of being overweight, dieting, gaining, re-dieting, losing weight, regaining weight, I always kept bread within my regimen. At some point, I went to whole-grain ("multi-grain" is not whole-grain). One year ago, I found myself at a place where it was time (way past time, really) to get back on the weight-loss train, so I started back to Weight Watchers and began counting points. The only change this time in my eating plan was that I was going to avoid bread, rolls, crackers, etc. Almost immediately I began to see more significant (and consistent) weight loss than I had before. For me bread is a trigger food that I find difficult to limit. If I don't have it at all, I don't have that problem. So far, I've lost 40 lbs, 10 of which have been since November when I joined MFP. Good luck to all.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    om nom nom BREAD
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I love bread. I expect to eat bread in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years . . . so I figure if I'm going to lose weight and keep it off, I had better figure out how to do it while eating bread.

The difference for me has been knowing how much bread "costs" me calories/carbs wise. I used to be able to polish off a loaf weekly (no joke). Now I average 1-4 slices per week. Way easier to fit into my bigger picture of health, and I don't feel deprived.

I also have decided to choose whole grain bread. I like the taste better anyway :smile:.
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bread just gets a bad wrap. Whole grains are better, but ALL IN MODERATION.....have portion control people, make logical good choices and it works
  • leahmlenzner
    Options
    Yes, it is okay to eat bread even when trying to lose weight but it should be whole grain bread not bleached or unrifined flour.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    You should only eat bread if you like eating bread. As long as bread is not the ONLY thing you eat, you can absurdly eat bread every day and still lose weight!
  • jeni8383
    jeni8383 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    thank guys for all ur thoughts on the subject... im goin to try Ezekiel bread as many have mentioned it.... also goin to cut down on the amount i eat maybe limit it to 3 times a week.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I did the whole 'cut all grains' thing for 6 months, I think it helped me get some decent sources of protein in my nutrition but these days I eat bread (and everything else) daily and progress seems to be OK.

I like it, I tolerate it, so it fits.