How are people burning such high calories

Options
I just got a heart rate monitor a couple of weeks ago.

the charts say my 80% should be 140, and my target range 140-156, max (100%) 175.

when I run I have been having to do intervals to keep it below 165, and still in 35 min I only burn 350 calories. swimming is much the same.

So my question is how are people burning 1,000 calories in an hour, without going over heart rate recommendations, an I missing something?

Replies

• sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing they could weigh more? I've been wondering this too and still haven't figured it out. Maybe it's just different exercises?
  • Bookaholic88
    Bookaholic88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump..
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    They're not staying within heart rate recommendations if they are actually burning that. Hell, my heart rate generally sits around 190+ when I am going hard.
  • KayteeB07
    Options
    Wandering the exact same thing!
  • htimsm87
    htimsm87 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I suspect they are using the inflated numbers given by MFP.
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Higher intensity workouts might be the answer. I know I burn a ridiculously higher number of calories doing an hour of kickboxing. I don't burn nearly that running for the same amount of time.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I suspect the are using the inflated numbers given by MFP.

That too. ;)
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    agreed with op I have allways kinda halved the cals on mfp as they are over to me, enjoy your hrm :)
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    They probably weigh more, or get their heart rate very high, or the common one they are overestimating.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    They likely either weigh more or are overestimating. Even while running the best I can do is about 450-475 calories per hour, according to my heart rate monitor.
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Trust me they are not. Use your HRM or body media device and adjust your calls according to that. That is a flaw with the MFP app. If they were truly burning that much on a daily basis they would be very thin which in most cases is not the case.
  • TodayYesterday
    TodayYesterday Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've never come close. In my spin class, the instructor said you could burn 750 calories/hour. I think I was more like 400 - when I checked my HRM.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    MFP tends to overestimate things. I have to run 11 miles to burn 1,000.
  • Fit_Vixen1
    Options
    They're not staying within heart rate recommendations if they are actually burning that. Hell, my heart rate generally sits around 190+ when I am going hard.

Me too!
  • Naomi0222
    Options
    Yeah, when you weigh more you burn more per hour.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    The either weight more OR their estimates are not accurate.

There are some crazy high estimates out there that I bet are wrong.

I'm 190 male I can to intense interval training for 30 mins, be dripping in sweat and top out at 400 cals.

Use multiple sources (HRM, websites, etc) to estimate your burn, and be conservative.
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    One thing is MFP is giving high estimates for some of the exercises and secondly people who weigh more will burn more calories to move the big weight. Like if i jog for 40 min I will burn much more cals than someone who weighs 200 lbs. Bigger the engine more diesel it needs!
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I burn a lot of calories in a one-hour spin class, but my heart rate usually goes a little over the high end of my target - it will touch to the mid 170s then come back down. But I have never burned 1000/hour. 800 tops.

this all per my HRM

i fluctuate 135-140 lbs. 5'4.
  • Lytherinz
    Options
    I do Low intense cardio on the tread mill for 30 mins before I work out to get me going keeping my heart rate at 127-130bpm
    then I lift (strenght training for about 40-90mins.
    Then I do slow cardio again for another 30 mins.

I do a mix of HIIT( High Intense cardio) and Low Intense cardio. It helps burn fat quicker.
    end up burning 800-1200 calories a day. if that makes any since to you all. I mean I could go more indepth but I dont want to bore you. I can refer you to articles and what nots that can better explain this as well.

In the end cardio + strenght training = more calories lost. Unless you do cardio twice a day for 30-60 mins depending on if its low or high intense.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    irrelevant. who cares?

questions you should be asking yourself are things like "what sort of exercise regimen can I commit to doing regularly?", "how should i structure my diet in a way that will keep me satiated?", "what are my fitness goals?"