How are people burning such high calories

Options

Replies

• Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing and beginning to think my HRM was just stingy and/or I'm just a slacker. It gives me less that the gym equipment but a little more that MFP. Thanks for posting the topic!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    they are probably using endomondo. that gives you 500 calories for just swiping on the app.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I just got a heart rate monitor a couple of weeks ago.

the charts say my 80% should be 140, and my target range 140-156, max (100%) 175.

when I run I have been having to do intervals to keep it below 165, and still in 35 min I only burn 350 calories. swimming is much the same.

So my question is how are people burning 1,000 calories in an hour, without going over heart rate recommendations, an I missing something?

The most logial answer is the bbigger you are, the more caloreis you burn with exercise. My frind, who weighs 280ish will burn twice the amount of calories walking as i do running. it is so annoying. :wink:
  • lizjohnson2169
    Options
    They're not staying within heart rate recommendations if they are actually burning that. Hell, my heart rate generally sits around 190+ when I am going hard.

Mine is always way out of recommendations too. And I can burn 400 calories is 30 minutes.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    So my question is how are people burning 1,000 calories in an hour, without going over heart rate recommendations, an I missing something?
    If you train aerobically your aerobic capacity will improve and you will be able to run faster at a lower heartrate. By running faster you will go further in an hour and burn more calories.

I am 53 and 173 lbs. I have been running a lot for two years. Today I ran 7 miles in an hour at an average HR of 136. Depending on which method is used to calculate calories that is close to 1000.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator

gives me the same general info my tread mill gives me and at 1 hour at 6mph given my weight would be 1000 calories or better,
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    My hrm is constantly beeping at me because my heart rate is too high. Well, i'm not going to stop running....so it needs to deal. Do whatever you are comfortable with. Honestly, I hated burning like 600 calories because I worked out at night and I tried to eat all my exercise calories back. I think 300 is a good amount. Rememeber, you want to do things that will be sustainable.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I used to have a Timex cheapo HRM that said I burned about 1,000cals in 45 min. I read how important it was to have one not only made for a woman but also set with VO2Max among other things and so I got a Polar (7 I believe?) and it shows HALF the burn of my old HRM. HALF!
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If you train aerobically your aerobic capacity will improve and you will be able to run faster at a lower heartrate. By running faster you will go further in an hour and burn more calories.

I am 53 and 173 lbs. I have been running a lot for two years. Today I ran 7 miles in an hour at an average HR of 136. Depending on which method is used to calculate calories that is close to 1000.

Yeah, it's not just size and intensity. Fitness is a huge factor. I use the RunningAhead estimates (very similar to the MFP database) because they're lower than what my HRM says. With the HRM I would routinely get over 1000 in an hour. Based on the database, I would have to run 8 miles in an hour to do that, which would be an intense run for me (like a race). I can run 7 miles in an hour with my heart rate around 140 for an estimate of just under 900 calories for the hour.
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Dont go on calculators and stuff because those are rubbish, get a hrm that is ecg accurate. Mfp says my weekly goal is 1940cals and i am currently at 4691 :) and got 1 day left. I do 2 workouts every day, in the morning i do 30 day shred and in the evening Les Mills Combat :glasses:

Love both these workouts. Did the Shred once before when I was in a lot better shape and completed. Also used to do Combat 3x week at my gym. Love both of these workouts and cannot wait to get in better shape to handle both of them. Right now, I am just not there. Sticking with TurboJam (I know old school)...building up my endurance. Love the music on Combat...well the older stuff. Some of the new tracks are so-so...haven't been in awhile, though, they could be much better now. So wish I could by the ones we did in the gym. I think can't remember now, it was 54 I liked among others. Not sure if the new Beachbody Combat would be something I would like. I am going to reward myself with this or possibly Turbo Fire if I can drop more by my birthday and feel good enough for it.
  • dsjr2006
    Options
    Many of my workouts burn 850-1200 cals in 45-60mins, but my avg hr today for example was 184 for a 45 min workout and I stayed near max 40:29 according to the Polar app that works with my HRM which gave my 987 cals burned. It takes a full hour to burn the same amount at a 153 avg hr according to my history. The most important thing I've found is keeping my intensity up and switching things up.

Using the MFP app doesn't take into account your intensity level across the session so it cannot be as accurate.

I am also 6'2" 265 so that creates higher calorie burn too.
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    irrelevant. who cares?

questions you should be asking yourself are things like "what sort of exercise regimen can I commit to doing regularly?", "how should i structure my diet in a way that will keep me satiated?", "what are my fitness goals?"

agree
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options

the charts say my 80% should be 140, and my target range 140-156, max (100%) 175.

when I run I have been having to do intervals to keep it below 165, and still in 35 min I only burn 350 calories. swimming is much the same.

Hey, that's not bad! I usually burn 600cal when I run for one hour at normal speed (little more if I do a tempo run). I'm 5.2 and my weight is 128lbs.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I think its the MFP app over estimating bcuz i hve friends here that do Zumba and claim they burn 900 calories an hour and I weigh 50 pounds more than them and use my HRM and burn at most 730 for 70 mins of Zumba so trust your HRM and keep up the great work :)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

My guess they may be using some false readiings or over-estimating. That said, if someone is overweight it takes them more energy (work) to move themselves and in turn burns more calories. Their bodies (heart and lungs) are less efficient in supplying oxygen and pumping blood and muscles at converting energy for contraction.

I'm 43, around 204lbs, with a BF% around 25 and on an average I burn 100 to 130 calories per mile I run, dependnng on exersion.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    When you say "they are overestimating", it's "MFP is overestimating based on the common formula for a given weight doing a given exercise". This sounds like you are placing the blame on the person, and not where is may really belong.

My HRM puts me about 30% below MFP's estimates rather consistently.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Yours sounds about right. They're probably estimating incorrectly. Or they weigh a LOT more, or they're running a LOT faster.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    It's a combination of ALL the reasons suggested.
    To be fair though, I haven't noticed a huge difference in my results using a HRM or MFP estimates.
    But I am about 16st 8 and working hard until I'm read to drop.
    I do a lot of short intense burst type work - Insanity, 4 a side soccer, Pad Work etc with very short rest intervals and my heart rate tends to stay consistently high over the course of the hour or so.
    So it can be done.
    I tend to manualy enter my cal burns on the site and still reduce my burns by about 100 or so as a " safety net " but it's definitely doable.
  • theparnellssean
    theparnellssean Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I question the ability to burn 1000 calories per hour. A 1 hour kickboxing class according to my bodymedia armband is good for about 600-700 calories (high intensity).
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    When you say "they are overestimating", it's "MFP is overestimating based on the common formula for a given weight doing a given exercise". This sounds like you are placing the blame on the person, and not where is may really belong.

My HRM puts me about 30% below MFP's estimates rather consistently.

True, good point. Many fitness machines are well-known to over esitmate as well.