Replies

• 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Bump. Great ideas here!
  • Cherry_blossom73
    Cherry_blossom73 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I roast it, I cut it up, add some extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper stick it in the oven at 425 for 20 mins, turn it, add some parmesan cheese and cook it for another 15-20 mins...it's very yummy and my kids will even eat it when I make it this way.
  • Janie_May
    Janie_May Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Roast it in a pan in the oven with a bit of oil, salt and maybe garlic powder. Roast for about an hour on 350 and it's soooo YUMMY!!! I do this with all veggies and they are to die for. Sweet potatoe, turnip, cauliflower, broccoli, green beens & brussel sprouts.

This ^^^.
    I use parchment paper in a dark enamel (shallow) roasting pan--easy clean-up!
    I use olive oil, fresh cracked pepper, sea salt, wedges of onion and sometimes rosemary or another herb. Roasting caramelizes the veggies...yum.
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/01/spicy-buffalo-cauliflower-bites.html

I am making the Skinny taste buffalo cauliflower bites to munch during superbowl. :)

I love mashed cauli and roasted.
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    bump Love cauliflower! I've had it mashed , roasted, riced! always looking for new recipes!!
  • Garfunklette
    Garfunklette Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/mushroom_chicken-sausage_casserole.html.
    I love this recipe. It uses frozen, but there's no reason you couldn't use raw and steam it a bit first.
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    bump
  • janeypoosandbob
    janeypoosandbob Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I've tried that "better than mashed potatoes"... it is so good! And I love mashed potatoes. :)

Here's a cauliflower soup I made a couple of weeks ago, it was super tasty!

* 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
    * 2 tablespoons oil
    * salt and pepper to taste
    * 1 tablespoon oil
    * 1 medium onion, diced
    * 2 cloves garlic, chopped
    * 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
    * 3 cups vegetable broth
    * 1 1/2 cups aged white cheddar, shredded
    * 1 cup cream (or milk, if you're fat-averse)
    * salt and pepper to taste

Instructions
    1. Toss the cauliflower florets in the oil along with the salt and pepper and arrange them in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
    2. Roast the cauliflower in a preheated 400F oven until lightly golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.
    3. Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
    4. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
    5. Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
    6. Add the broth and cauliflower, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
    7. Puree the soup until it reaches your desired consistency with a stick blender.
    8. Mix in the cheese, let it melt and season with salt and pepper.
    9. Mix in the cream and remove from heat.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Creamy Cauliflower Soup

In large pot:

Stir until onions translucent

1 tbsp butter
    1 medium onion
    3 tblsp parsley
    1 clove garlic

Add and bring to a boil

1 box of salt free chicken stock (32 fl oz)
    20 chopped Baby carrots
    1 head cauliflower
    1/4 tsp pepper

Purée mixture in blender (or with handheld blender in pot)

Add

1/2 to 1 cup fat free yoghurt
    1/4 tsp ginger

Salt to taste

(I find this is pretty filling and it freezes very well. Also, if you like more carrots add them in. The reason I choose to use baby carrots is they are pre-peeled so it makes the prep even quicker - but if you don't have them I would use about 5 or size regular carrots peeled - they are sweeter when peeled).

You can also add puréed cauliflower to mac and cheese - but this would have to be on a gym day as it is a pretty high calorie meal with the pasta AND cheese in it.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Okay, here is one from Wheat Belly cookbook:

Better than mashed potatoes

1 Large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
    2 oz cream cheese (the real stuff, not ff or lf)
    2 tbsps Real butter
    1/4 tsp sea salt

Place a steamer basket in a large pot with 2" of water. Bring to boil over high heat. Place the cauliflower in the basket and steam for 20 minutes, or until soft.

Remove from heat and drain. In a blender or food processor, combine the cauliflower, cream cheese, butter and salt. Blend or process until smooth.

Makes 4 servings
    Per serving: 152 cals, 5g protein, 11g carbs, 11g total fat, 7g Sat fat, 4g fiber, 297mg sodium

Enjoy!

just because you take out potatoes doesn't make that good for you...butter and cream cheese? "Real" kind?

No thanks.

Everything in moderation though right? Nothing wrong with butter as long as you don't eat all the butter ever. Also, when you are cooking there is often no substitute for the original ingredient as it adds to the flavour and blends well with other things. A discussion on another thread was mentioning how roast chicken cooked on the bone and in the skin tastes nicer than cooking breasts on their own (which need a lot of extra work to give them flavour) - so long as you remove the skin prior to eating or using it as an ingredient you get the flavour and not the bad stuff. There is no reason to not have a healthy perspective on cooking things so they taste good - but remembering that you can't go crazy. You can find substitutes that are still good options and then use the more flavourful version of something and track it.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Enchilada's:
    1 lb ground turkey (cooked and drained)
    Cauliflower (in pieces-boiled or steamed til tender)
    1 can green chilli's
    8 Small flour (not corn) tortillas
    Kraft fat free shredded cheese (1 bag)
    2 cans enchilada sauce

Pour 1 can of enchilada sauce in bottom of pan.
    Then place soft tortilla shell on a plate, add small amount of cheese, ground turkey, cauliflower and chilli's on top in line.
    Roll one side up over filling and repeat with other side.
    Place upside down on sauce in pan.
    Repeat til done.
    Pour other can of sauce on top (across centers)
    If you have leftover fillings sprinkle on top.
    Bake 350 for 10 min.

YUM!!!!
  • mercurymads
    mercurymads Posts: 11 Member
    Options

2 tbsps Real butter
    1/4 tsp sea salt

This is my mashed potatoes substitute! love it
  • mondesa
    mondesa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump... Thanks these look great
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! ALL of these look great!
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options

2 tbsps Real butter
    1/4 tsp sea salt

Place a steamer basket in a large pot with 2" of water. Bring to boil over high heat. Place the cauliflower in the basket and steam for 20 minutes, or until soft.

Remove from heat and drain. In a blender or food processor, combine the cauliflower, cream cheese, butter and salt. Blend or process until smooth.

Makes 4 servings
    Per serving: 152 cals, 5g protein, 11g carbs, 11g total fat, 7g Sat fat, 4g fiber, 297mg sodium

Enjoy!

just because you take out potatoes doesn't make that good for you...butter and cream cheese? "Real" kind?

No thanks.

Butter and real cream cheese, believe it or not are better for you than the lf varieties or going with fake butter (not as processed). The potatoes are just something I am supposed to watch for carb reasons. That's why I noted this is a Wheat Belly receipe and is not right for all. My doctor recommends this for me. I am sure you could do this with reg potatoes and lf varieties if this is what you prefer.
  • april_mesk
    Options

2 tbsps Real butter
    1/4 tsp sea salt

Makes 4 servings

Enjoy!

No thanks.

Everything in moderation though right? Nothing wrong with butter as long as you don't eat all the butter ever. Also, when you are cooking there is often no substitute for the original ingredient as it adds to the flavour and blends well with other things. A discussion on another thread was mentioning how roast chicken cooked on the bone and in the skin tastes nicer than cooking breasts on their own (which need a lot of extra work to give them flavour) - so long as you remove the skin prior to eating or using it as an ingredient you get the flavour and not the bad stuff. There is no reason to not have a healthy perspective on cooking things so they taste good - but remembering that you can't go crazy. You can find substitutes that are still good options and then use the more flavourful version of something and track it.

Agreed
  • april_mesk
    Options

2 tbsps Real butter
    1/4 tsp sea salt

This is my mashed potatoes substitute! love it

Haven't tried it yet but, looking forward to it and keep meaning to do it.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm trying it in the oven today. I used vegetable oil and McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Chicken Seasoning. The original recipe said salt and pepper.