Coconut Oil good or bad? saturated FAT?

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14601690
    Effect of a high saturated fat and no-starch diet on serum lipid subfractions in patients with documented atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease.

No starch is an important factor.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.abstract
    Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease1,2,3,4,5
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Why do people say coconut oil is good for you when I just read that its basically entirely made up of saturated fat? I thought saturated fat was bad for you. Please educate the bewildered.

Some information about Saturated Fats:

http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2007/04/06/saturated_fat_the_misunderstood_nutrient#axzz0zknkn0yT

http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/nutrition/saturated_fat.htm

http://www.health-report.co.uk/saturated_fats_health_benefits.htm
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I feel cross eyed right now after trying to read this thread.:embarassed: :sick:
  • KathrynKennewell108
    Options
    Saturated fat are more stable Look at the molecular structure of fats to understand more. Polyunsaturated fats and trans fats are the ones to avoid. If you took lobbyists out of the picture, people would return to common sense eating and find their own instincts again when it comes to making dietary choices.
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    Good as a body moisturizer. Bad to eat. Waaaayyyy too many calories. Blech.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is AMAZING! This should shed some light:

"Although it gets a bad rap in some circles for its high saturated fat content, we know that such fats can offer many health benefits. For example, coconut oil has been found to help normalize blood lipids and protect against damage to the liver by alcohol and other toxins, can play a role in preventing kidney and gall bladder diseases, and is associated with improved blood sugar and insulin control and therefore the prevention and management of diabetes. In addition, coconut oil has antiviral, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. On a more superficial level, meanwhile, coconut oil is thought to help strengthen mineral absorption, which is important for healthy teeth and bones, and can also help improve the condition and appearance of the scalp, hair and skin when ingested or topically applied."

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/coconut-oil-health-benefits/#ixzz2JmwuMhB7

Great post!
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    They're mostly saturated fat. Most scientists agree that too much saturated fat is bad for you. All the major health organisations I've looked into say to limit your consumption of it.

I wouldn't touch it.
  • melt2svelte
    Options
    Done here, it would be nice if individual fatty acids were tested by themselves. even then, something like lauric may have good properties in some situations and be harmful in others. Might be that w-6 and palmitic are the main fats to avoid, and that other than w-3 its kind of unclear what the others do, although w-9 and stearic look pretty 'neutral' overall.

Please prove when/where lauric acid is ever harmful. Studies? Lauric acid is highly concentrated in human breast milk, and coconut oil is one of the only foods that contain such a high amount as well. Are you going to tell me that breast milk also has the ability to harm, strictly in regards to the lauric acid content? I don't think so. Research shows exactly the opposite.

As for the first study you looked at that I posted, why the question mark? What part?
  • neanderthin
    Options
    They're mostly saturated fat. Most scientists agree that too much saturated fat is bad for you. All the major health organisations I've looked into say to limit your consumption of it.

I wouldn't touch it.
    Actual scientists that study lipids and cholesterol don't have that opinion, major health organizations only regurgitate the common belief that saturated fats are bad. This doesn;t mean that you can consume saturated fat to your heart content, it means that you'd lose a court case based on the current data of saturated fat and heart disease.:smile:
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Done here, it would be nice if individual fatty acids were tested by themselves. even then, something like lauric may have good properties in some situations and be harmful in others. Might be that w-6 and palmitic are the main fats to avoid, and that other than w-3 its kind of unclear what the others do, although w-9 and stearic look pretty 'neutral' overall.

Please prove when/where lauric acid is ever harmful. Studies? Lauric acid is highly concentrated in human breast milk, and coconut oil is one of the only foods that contain such a high amount as well. Are you going to tell me that breast milk also has the ability to harm, strictly in regards to the lauric acid content? I don't think so. Research shows exactly the opposite.

As for the first study you looked at that I posted, why the question mark? What part?
    Just to add. The contention that palmitic acid is bad is from looking at that particular isomer in isolation. We don't consume palmitic acid in isolation we consume it in food and the studies show that in the presence of stearic acid, palmitic acids supposedly negative effect is neutralized and you won't find palmitic without stearic. As far as omega 6's been bad, that is just nonsense, LA or linoleic acid is an essential fat, maybe what you mean is if we consume to much then there is the possiblity of desaturation to the more inflammatory AA's, anachronic acid. Personally I don't see any down side to lauric acid.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    The downside? Eating/drinking something to excess.

I haven't contacted them in a few years but those that research are easily accessible, just email. I think I talked to Daniel Hwang last time. Here's one of the studies on fats, don't have time and don't care enough to dig them all up atm.

http://www.jlr.org/content/early/2012/07/04/jlr.D029546.full.pdf

* the question mark was referring to the two points in conclusion - "Consequently, MCT constitute a good energy source for patients with pancreatic insufficiency and fat malabsorption as well as preterm infants with pancreatic juice and bile acid insufficiency."
    "However, such effects have not been reported in humans."

I really don't care enough to pick apart the research. That is your job, I don't tell others how to eat or how to live their lives. Your choices, not mine. :)
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil.... But in moderation. I enjoy and it is great to cook things like stir fry with, however I'm not really on the bandwagon for coconut oil.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    I use coconut oil all the time. One jar is in my bathroom for moisturizer and conditioner and one jar is in my kitchen. I try to replace most other oils with coconut oil. I don't just eat the stuff I use it as a replacement.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    congrats you found out saturated fat is good for you.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It's good! Once the low fat/cholesterol movement took over, all saturated fats were condemned, including coconut oil. It has lauric acid in it, which helps support metabolism. Also, it can help lower LDL cholesterol and will help keep your hair and nails healthy. Stick to virgin coconut oil, or even refined coconut oil if you can't find virgin. The only type that you should 100% avoid is hydrogenated coconut oil, as it's full of trans fat.

Basically, coconut oil is an amazing fat source and should be consumed regularly. Don't listen to the myths that surround fat; it's all propaganda. Just be conscious of the type of fat you're eating and obviously stick to healthy sources.
  • melt2svelte
    Options
    The downside? Eating/drinking something to excess.

*Anything* in excess can be hazardous. No one is arguing that. Most people that use coconut oil, use it as a supplement or a substitute for other fats. No one has come here to promote eating a whole jar a day. I personally only consume 2tbsp max a day, and it is usually used in place of butter on my toast.
    * the question mark was referring to the two points in conclusion - "Consequently, MCT constitute a good energy source for patients with pancreatic insufficiency and fat malabsorption as well as preterm infants with pancreatic juice and bile acid insufficiency."

MCT have been used medically for the treatment of many things - "Medium chain triacylglycerols (MCTs) are a unique class of lipids that contain fatty acids of primarily eight and ten carbons in chain length. Since they first became commercially available in 1955, MCTs have found an increasing number of uses because of their unique properties. Historically, they have been used in the treatment of patients with various fat malabsorption syndromes, surgical patients, cancer patients, and preterm infants. With the filing of a generally recognized as safe (GRAS) petition for medium chain triacylglycerols, they are increasingly gaining the interest of food formulators because of their unique metabolic and physical properties." http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1745-4522.1996.tb00072.x/abstract

MCT are absorbed differently than LCT: "Medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA) have attracted attention as part of a healthy diet, because they are absorbed and transported directly into the liver via the portal vein, metabolized rapidly by beta-oxidation, and increase diet-induced thermogenesis."
    "However, such effects have not been reported in humans."

This was part of the introduction/description. The study was seeing if the results could be replicated in humans, and it did if you look at the results from the study: "In this study, we stringently controlled not only the amount of oil, but also the total energy intake under the guidance of a dietitian. Consequently, the total daily energy intake by individual subjects was almost the same during the study. Second, we believe that the hepatic lipid turnover rate in obese persons (BMI ≥ 23 kg/m2) may be slower than in nonobese persons (BMI < 23 kg/m2). Therefore, we divided the data into those for subjects with a BMI over and under 23 kg/m2 and analyzed the results separately. Consequently, we found that in subjects with BMI ≥ 23 kg/m2, body weight and fat in those fed MCT were significantly lower than in those fed LCT. These results suggest that a MCT diet may tend to reduce body weight and fat in overweight persons (BMI ≥ 23 kg/m2) compared with a LCT diet." http://jn.nutrition.org/content/131/11/2853.long
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Why do people say coconut oil is good for you when I just read that its basically entirely made up of saturated fat? I thought saturated fat was bad for you. Please educate the bewildered.

Naturally-occurring fat is healthy, including saturated fats.
  • melt2svelte
    Options
    More studies for anyone interested:
    Medium-chain fatty acids: functional lipids for the prevention and treatment of the metabolic syndrome.
    Nagao K, Yanagita T.
    Source

Laboratory of Nutrition Biochemistry, Department of Applied Biochemistry and Food Science, Saga University, Honjo-1, Saga 840-8502, Japan. knagao@cc.saga-u.ac.jp
    Abstract

Metabolic syndrome is a cluster of metabolic disorders, such as abdominal obesity, dyslipidemia, hypertension and impaired fasting glucose, that contribute to increased cardiovascular morbidity and mortality. Although the pathogenesis of metabolic syndrome is complicated and the precise mechanisms have not been elucidated, dietary lipids have been recognized as contributory factors in the development and the prevention of cardiovascular risk clustering. This review explores the physiological functions and molecular actions of medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs) and medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) in the development of metabolic syndrome. Experimental studies demonstrate that dietary MCFAs/MCTs suppress fat deposition through enhanced thermogenesis and fat oxidation in animal and human subjects. Additionally, several reports suggest that MCFAs/MCTs offer the therapeutic advantage of preserving insulin sensitivity in animal models and patients with type 2 diabetes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19931617
    Effects of dietary coconut oil on the biochemical and anthropometric profiles of women presenting abdominal obesity.
    Assunção ML, Ferreira HS, dos Santos AF, Cabral CR Jr, Florêncio TM.
    Source

Faculdade de Nutrição, Universidade Federal de Alagoas, Maceió, AL 57072-970, Brazil.
    Abstract

The effects of dietary supplementation with coconut oil on the biochemical and anthropometric profiles of women presenting waist circumferences (WC) >88 cm (abdominal obesity) were investigated. The randomised, double-blind, clinical trial involved 40 women aged 20-40 years. Groups received daily dietary supplements comprising 30 mL of either soy bean oil (group S; n = 20) or coconut oil (group C; n = 20) over a 12-week period, during which all subjects were instructed to follow a balanced hypocaloric diet and to walk for 50 min per day. Data were collected 1 week before (T1) and 1 week after (T2) dietary intervention. Energy intake and amount of carbohydrate ingested by both groups diminished over the trial, whereas the consumption of protein and fibre increased and lipid ingestion remained unchanged. At T1 there were no differences in biochemical or anthropometric characteristics between the groups, whereas at T2 group C presented a higher level of HDL (48.7 +/- 2.4 vs. 45.00 +/- 5.6; P = 0.01) and a lower LDL:HDL ratio (2.41 +/- 0.8 vs. 3.1 +/- 0.8; P = 0.04). Reductions in BMI were observed in both groups at T2 (P < 0.05), but only group C exhibited a reduction in WC (P = 0.005). Group S presented an increase (P < 0.05) in total cholesterol, LDL and LDL:HDL ratio, whilst HDL diminished (P = 0.03). Such alterations were not observed in group C. It appears that dietetic supplementation with coconut oil does not cause dyslipidemia and seems to promote a reduction in abdominal obesity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19437058
    The application of medium-chain fatty acids: edible oil with a suppressing effect on body fat accumulation.
    Takeuchi H, Sekine S, Kojima K, Aoyama T.
    Source

Central Research Laboratory, The Nisshin OilliO Group, Ltd., 1 Shinmei-cho, Yokosuka, Kanagawa 239-0832, Japan. h-takeuchi@nisshin-oillio.com
    Abstract

The bulk of fatty acids found in our diets consists of long-chain fatty acids (LCFA), which are molecules containing 12 or more carbon atoms. In contrast, medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA) are composed of 8-10 carbon atoms, and are found in palm kernel oil, among other types of foods. MCFA have attracted attention as being part of a healthy diet, because they are absorbed directly into the portal vein, transported rapidly to the liver for beta-oxidation, and thus increase diet-induced thermogenesis. In contrast, long-chain triacylglycerols are absorbed via the intestinal lymphatic ducts and transported by chylomicrons through the thoracic duct into the systemic circulation. Because medium-chain triacylglycerols (MCT) containing solely MCFA have a few disadvantages when used for deep frying, we have developed a new kind of triacylglycerol product: medium- and long-chain triacylglycerol (MLCT). MLCT is produced by lipase-catalyzed enzymatic transesterification. Long-term clinical trials have demonstrated that MLCT and MCT result in less body fat accumulation in humans. MLCT oil has been approved as FOSHU (Food for Specified Health Use) for use as cooking oil with a suppressing effect on body fat accumulation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18296368
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mdwy62
    mdwy62 Posts: 1
    Options
    From what I can understand from these citations, coconut oil (CO) is preferrable to "long chain" saturated fats and may contribute to less weight gain than these other saturated fats. It is not preferred to polunsaturated fats, at least in terms of cardiovascular disease. As I understand it, CO was used in one of the studies cited (involving New Zealand rabbits) to induce atherosclerosis in contrast to polyunsaturated oils.

Overall, this seems like evidence that if you are choosing between other saturated fats and CO, CO is preferred. I do not see any studies that advocate replacing polyunsaturated fats with CO, at least as far as cardiovascular disease risk goes. In choosing between fat sources (to consume), CO seems like one of the worst among plant sources but still better than animal sources.