Coconut Oil good or bad? saturated FAT?

Options

Replies

• KJL16
    KJL16 Posts: 6
    Options
    Oh dear,
    I want to encourage you all to look up "saturated fat and cholesterol myths."

It most likely will change your life in some way, even if only to open your ears to some things you've probably never heard before and probably won't believe at first... until you realize that it all makes sense--- why people still believe that "cholesterol is bad and saturated fat is artery-clogging." You have been conditioned to believe this nonsense. How many times do you hear an advertisement for something that is "low-fat" or "cholesterol free?" If you realized that saturated fat is the fat that's good for you and that you absolutely need cholesterol to function properly--- then you wouldn't be buying that junk.

Why is it that heart disease didn't become prevalent until after we started eating vegetable oils, increasing our carbohydrate intake and started avoiding cholesterol?

Staying away from cholesterol will not help you prevent heart disease. Staying away from cholesterol will do exactly the opposite.
    But this will probably sound unbelievable to you. So you better start looking into the truth before you become another one of those cardiac patients I see in the hospital, straight out of surgery- only 65 but looking and sounding like an eighty-year old, aged and crippled- wondering why he has all these problems even after taking cholesterol-lowering drugs and eating a low-fat diet? What can we do? We give them physical therapy and advice on how to adjust to life after heart disease, but the advice they're being given from all directions (from doctors, from the AHA, from Lipitor Ads, and equally-misinformed coworkers and neighbors) is just setting them up for either 1. failure to improve and readmission to the hospital or 2. their grave, ultimately. What advice am I referring to? The advice that says to substitute poly-unsaturated fat for "artery-clogging" saturated fat, and to better watch that cholesterol level!

Too lazy to google right now? Go ahead and Clickety click: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kosloff13.htm
    Or, http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-v
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I eat 1-2 TBSP daily. It's all good.
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    We love organic CO for our skin and as a sub for fat in baking - a jar in the bathroom and a 2nd in the kitchen.
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Oh dear,
    I want to encourage you all to look up "saturated fat and cholesterol myths."

It most likely will change your life in some way, even if only to open your ears to some things you've probably never heard before and probably won't believe at first... until you realize that it all makes sense--- why people still believe that "cholesterol is bad and saturated fat is artery-clogging." You have been conditioned to believe this nonsense. How many times do you hear an advertisement for something that is "low-fat" or "cholesterol free?" If you realized that saturated fat is the fat that's good for you and that you absolutely need cholesterol to function properly--- then you wouldn't be buying that junk.

Why is it that heart disease didn't become prevalent until after we started eating vegetable oils, increasing our carbohydrate intake and started avoiding cholesterol?

Staying away from cholesterol will not help you prevent heart disease. Staying away from cholesterol will do exactly the opposite.
    But this will probably sound unbelievable to you. So you better start looking into the truth before you become another one of those cardiac patients I see in the hospital, straight out of surgery- only 65 but looking and sounding like an eighty-year old, aged and crippled- wondering why he has all these problems even after taking cholesterol-lowering drugs and eating a low-fat diet? What can we do? We give them physical therapy and advice on how to adjust to life after heart disease, but the advice they're being given from all directions (from doctors, from the AHA, from Lipitor Ads, and equally-misinformed coworkers and neighbors) is just setting them up for either 1. failure to improve and readmission to the hospital or 2. their grave, ultimately. What advice am I referring to? The advice that says to substitute poly-unsaturated fat for "artery-clogging" saturated fat, and to better watch that cholesterol level!

Too lazy to google right now? Go ahead and Clickety click: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kosloff13.htm
    Or, http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-v

Loved those articles, thanks for the info. I already use coconut oil every day for cooking, now I'm pretty glad I do, lol.
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    bump
  • StepOfFaith
    Options
    Coconut oil is metabolized efficiently!! I use it on my skin too! Very good for you!'
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Bumping for when I'm more awake and less headachy. My mom asked me about coconut oil and what I thought. It can be difficult to find unbiased studies in general, but seems to be even worse when it comes to some nutritional things. If there is a link from an article to "buy my book for more information" I am automatically skeptical! But, just a quick glance through here I see some awesome research material. Thanks all!
  • KJL16
    Options
    mdwy62,

I know you must be well-intentioned, but your post is a perfect example of the result of decades of lobbying against saturated fats and cholesterol. Many people are under this spell. About two and a half years ago, I had my eyes opened. Since then, I have not and will not- ever pick up another bottle of vegetable oil again. I will never go back, especially after I've seen the horrible effects of Alzheimer's on friends' families; I would do anything to keep my parents from going through that.

Anyone trying to limit their intake of cholesterol and saturated fat, and subsequently eating loads of unsaturated vegetable oils and carbohydrates instead (including fruit juice and diet soda) is setting themselves up for a plethora of middle-late adulthood diseases: Dementia, Loss of Libido, Heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and especially... Alzheimer's.
    Those don't sound very appealing. I will do whatever I can to protect the people I care about from these horrible man-perpetuated diseases...
    That means spending a little extra money to be able to scoop into a container full of beautiful, creamy coconut oil for the rest of my life and pretty much guarantee that I won't ever need to worry about harming my cardiovascular system or my brain function (try saying that about inflammation-inducing polyunsaturated frankenstein-oil.) I will eat organic, grass-fed beef and feel assured that I'm giving my body the nutrition it needs to stay satisfied until my next meal, and I'll eat butter- delicious, organic butter that's rich and creamy and made from the milk of grass-fed, free-range cows and spread it on organic sprouted grain toast, knowing that I am treating not only my tastebuds, but also treating my body, making a "cheers" to a healthy life. I won't ever touch anything labeled "low-fat" or "low-cholesterol" because I prefer my food to actually be food- not chemically modified junk that perpetuates the ridiculous lie that eating fat makes you fat.

You most likely believe the opposite- that saturated fat is the bad one and that unsaturated oil is good for your heart. Well, my friends- that is exactly why millions of people are having heart failure and cognitive impairments that they possibly can never recover from because they keep doing the exact thing that made them sick in the first place: listening to advice like this: "Watch that cholesterol level, Mr. Smith- only use the egg whites- throw away the yolk and don't eat red meat. Make an appointment to see me again in a month and check if you got that cholesterol to go down!..." then following that advice, and continuing to need hospital care for years and years until ultimately a heart attack takes its final blow.

We are not supposed to have heart problems. They only started happening when we started chemically extracting oil from corn and making margarine; and when we started feeding our kids purple, red, and blue colored drinks pumped with corn syrup and ascorbic acid (artificial vitamin C), and when we gave kids fruit-flavored corn cereal that started their mornings with about 100 grams of sugar after counting the milk, the OJ and the poptart, and wondering why diabetes went through the roof.
    You are probably confused because I started the paragraph talking about the heart, and then started talking about carbs. Yes, you read correctly. And the fact that you are surprised by this is another example of how amazingly effective a billion dollar industry can be at covering up the truth from everyone.

If you care about the people you love, then at least... think about how little sense it makes for us to be encouraged, by the American Heart Association, to increase the intake of an oil that was intentionally manufactured to promote obesity (with the unfortunate collateral of liver failure and other diseases) in livestock, including pigs and then marketed for human consumption because there was a surplus in corn. (named "canola oil" after mixing a bunch of other chemically-altered oils that were originally used only in industrial products like paint varnish, and were never fit for consumption by any living thing.)
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is a naturally saturated fat. The dangerous saturated fats are those that are chemically altered (partially hydrogenated or trans fats).
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Coconut Oil Side Effects

Effortless weight loss sounds good, but is it really effortless if you're sick to your stomach every day? Nausea and vomiting seem to be common among those who take several daily tablespoons of coconut oil, the recommended medicinal dose among promoters [source: Coconut Connections].

Just one tablespoon of coconut oil has more than 13 grams of fat. Four tablespoons will give you almost the entire U.S. recommended maximum daily intake of fat. And coconut oil has the highest saturated fat of any oil -- 10 times the saturated fat of olive oil, for example. So it may not be surprising that no clinical studies have actually documented a connection between coconut oil and weight loss [source: Mayo Clinic].

Coconut defenders say this doesn't matter for two reasons. First, coconut oil contains medium-chain triglycerides, which are easier to process than long-chain fatty acids are. Second, they say, the only proof that coconut oil is bad for you comes from a decades-old study that was flawed and used partially hydrogenated oil, which contains trans fats. Most coconut oil on the market now is virgin (cold-pressed) oil [source: Babcock]. Even the defenders of coconut oil warn against consuming non-virgin oil, which is partially hydrogenated.

If the coconut-oil defenders are correct, then great -- coconuts and saturated fat for everyone! But if they're not, then a coconut-oil regimen could do some serious damage to your heart health. And it won't take long to do it. One study found that people on coconut-oil diets showed higher arterial fat just hours after one meal [source: Tsang]. Prominent doctor Andrew Weil notes coconut oil's potentially damaging effects on blood cholesterol and opines that, unless more research can demonstrate its good health effects, you shouldn't use it [source: Weil]. Plus, if all that fat doesn't reduce your total caloric intake, it could actually lead to weight gain [source: Mayo Clinic].

One way to get some benefits from coconut oil without worrying about its cardiac effects is to rub it on your skin. Read on to learn more.

Wow I should be sick constantly then, I have it every day 2 x a day. I love the stuff. I cook everything with it & refuse to use anything else.

I wonder how many other people are just scared to try it? Bloody hell. I should be dead, I been using it for months. Not a problem. It's a natural sunscreen as well....from the INSIDE. It makes your skin nicely spring back as well.... I should have a pouch from my 20+ yeahs of having my belly..... it's all gone & I dont moisturize on the outside.

Geeze I hate it when people are all "it's bad for you stay away"
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Read the book "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon

That is a great reference!

I consume it daily. We have a gallon of it. I've been eating it for a few years. I dont eat more than 30% total fat per day. It's saturated fat is high, true, but it is a "medium chain fatty acid" . That is where all the benefit is. I can't scientifically summerize it for you. You can do the research and the above mentioned book has a whole section on it. Of course there are endless sources.

I decide whats healthy for me; not what the media tells me.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Im going to disagree with a lot of people here. While I don't believe coconut oil is "bad" for you. I also don't consider it this amazing thing that all of these people claim. Its still a saturated fat - and while it may not behave like an animal based saturated fat like butter I would consider it neutral. Its better for you than butter and margarine but other oils like olive oil are still better for you than coconut.

the only fats that are amazing and have significant health benefits are omega 3's.
  • Bubbaluh
    Bubbaluh Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use 100% organic cold pressed coconut oil as hair treatments, warm it up till its a hot liquid (comes in a solid form) lather my hair in it over night and reep the rewards of strong silky shiny full hair! along with Moroccan argan oil its the only oil able to be absorbed into the hair (with heat)

Time to start cooking with it i spose! :tongue:
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Make some popcorn with it because it is delish!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy fats are important... it's like when people thought that you couldn't eat more than 1 egg because of the cholesterol. There has been no evidence that eggs increase cholesterol levels when eaten normally. Hippie mother ****ers influenced the FDA too much and started a Fat Free craze back in the 80-90s which actually caused a rise in diabetes. The added sugars that replaced fats did more harm than help. McDonalds originally didn't use transfats to cook with until some "health" organizations petitioned them and then they switched over to transfats and those exact same organizations are now petitioning to have McDonalds stop using transfats.

Low fat diets have been engrained into our psyche, which is why higher fat diets like paleo blow people's mind when they see it work. Alcohol is a macro nutrient, but not an essential macro-nutrient and people are willing to fawn over studies of how alcohol is beneficial, but it's not even essentially... antioxidants in a blueberry are better than what are offered in wine. People just believe what they want to believe and they'll find studies that will verify what they think.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Im going to disagree with a lot of people here. While I don't believe coconut oil is "bad" for you. I also don't consider it this amazing thing that all of these people claim. Its still a saturated fat - and while it may not behave like an animal based saturated fat like butter I would consider it neutral. Its better for you than butter and margarine but other oils like olive oil are still better for you than coconut.

the only fats that are amazing and have significant health benefits are omega 3's.

How did you come to this conclusion? Do you have any info that supports your statement? Have you ever had popcorn popped in olive oil?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Good as a body moisturizer. Bad to eat. Waaaayyyy too many calories. Blech.

Bad to eat? Are you kidding? You get sunscreen from the inside, you get moisturized from the inside. You get healthy fats from the inside. You get a nice yummy taste in your food (buy the UN-refined one cause that is FOOD grade) an you smell great from the inside as well. Natural in every single way & you are worried about a small amount of cals that are one of the best things for you?

I don't understand some people. Fine go cook with olive oil, sunflower oil (that one DOES make me physically sick) or other not so great oils.

I live by the beach, my skin is normally so damn dry cause of the salty water & air........ not since eating this. I don't need it. My skin is brilliant, I have a wonderful tan that I didn't even have to try for...normally I burn then go white..... I'm still very very brown. I know I sound like I work for someone who makes it...but damn..... it's like the perfect oil. I woul NOT cook for my family or myself with it if it was dangerous or bad.

My weight loss speaks for itself using this oil. I should be fat according to some in this topic then..... I've lost about 80lbs in 7 months.
  • dawnerika
    dawnerika Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My understanding of it is that it is a healthier alternative than some other oils/fats. I tend to use only olive or coconut oil for cooking, even then I use oils sparingly. I've found that vegetable oil makes me bloat badly, get nauseous and all around lousy feeling. In truth, I prefer to use coconut oil as a moisturizer - I whip it up with a mixer and it fluffs it up more and feels incredible on my dry, parched skin. Also, no chemicals/additives/alcohol and names I cannot pronounce, so I feel like I'm doing my skin a big favor all the way around.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Coconut Oil Side Effects

Effortless weight loss sounds good, but is it really effortless if you're sick to your stomach every day? Nausea and vomiting seem to be common among those who take several daily tablespoons of coconut oil, the recommended medicinal dose among promoters [source: Coconut Connections].

Just one tablespoon of coconut oil has more than 13 grams of fat. Four tablespoons will give you almost the entire U.S. recommended maximum daily intake of fat. And coconut oil has the highest saturated fat of any oil -- 10 times the saturated fat of olive oil, for example. So it may not be surprising that no clinical studies have actually documented a connection between coconut oil and weight loss [source: Mayo Clinic].

Coconut defenders say this doesn't matter for two reasons. First, coconut oil contains medium-chain triglycerides, which are easier to process than long-chain fatty acids are. Second, they say, the only proof that coconut oil is bad for you comes from a decades-old study that was flawed and used partially hydrogenated oil, which contains trans fats. Most coconut oil on the market now is virgin (cold-pressed) oil [source: Babcock]. Even the defenders of coconut oil warn against consuming non-virgin oil, which is partially hydrogenated.

If the coconut-oil defenders are correct, then great -- coconuts and saturated fat for everyone! But if they're not, then a coconut-oil regimen could do some serious damage to your heart health. And it won't take long to do it. One study found that people on coconut-oil diets showed higher arterial fat just hours after one meal [source: Tsang]. Prominent doctor Andrew Weil notes coconut oil's potentially damaging effects on blood cholesterol and opines that, unless more research can demonstrate its good health effects, you shouldn't use it [source: Weil]. Plus, if all that fat doesn't reduce your total caloric intake, it could actually lead to weight gain [source: Mayo Clinic].

One way to get some benefits from coconut oil without worrying about its cardiac effects is to rub it on your skin. Read on to learn more.

Wow I should be sick constantly then, I have it every day 2 x a day. I love the stuff. I cook everything with it & refuse to use anything else.

I wonder how many other people are just scared to try it? Bloody hell. I should be dead, I been using it for months. Not a problem. It's a natural sunscreen as well....from the INSIDE. It your skin nicely spring back as well.... I should have a pouch from my 20+ yeahs of having my belly..... it's all gone & I dont moisturize on the outside.

Geeze I hate it when people are all "it's bad for you stay away"

I know right? I've been eating it for a few years and have had high cholesterol my whole life? Why have I not had a heart attack? Today I cooked my eggs with 1 tbspn. Anyway, we're not saying eat a jar, two tbspns daily are enough for most cooking.

Fear driven by the media. Coconuts are as perfect a fruit as is the avocado. The coconut bashing started when soy crop subsidies came about. "Don't eat that! It's high in saturated fat! Try this vegetable oil instead! It's healthier!" Bull****.

People do your research.
  • KJL16
    Options
    Coconut oil is a naturally saturated fat. The dangerous saturated fats are those that are chemically altered (partially hydrogenated or trans fats).

Hi niftyafterfifty,
    Ahh!!! Please don't group saturated fats with the p-h- word!!!
    The fats you are speaking of are not one and the same. Saturated fat is saturated fat.

There is only "natural" saturated fat. No other type of saturated fats exist. When attempting to create a fat that is "saturated" with hydrogen bonds out of something that just doesn't have that unique molecular structure, we end up with "partially" or "fully" hydrogenated lipid molecules. Partially hydrogenated fats are not saturated- they are man-made to mimic saturated fats because adding the missing hydrogen bonds makes the molecule more shelf-stable. But nonetheless, they still will never be truly "stable" when ingested in our bodies. They wreak havoc and bring saturated fat's reputation down with it when sat. fat had nothing to do with it. He was off in his room doing his chemistry homework while trans fat was putting explosives in his neighbors' mailboxes. Anyway, the lack of proper hydrogen bonds: that is why an unsaturated fat molecule goes rancid so quickly and why it's so bad for you- they start to oxidize almost immediately and when it hits that fryer- say hello to your new creation: trans fat. (Oh my gosh, she didn't! Yes I did =) I went there. I went where no vegetable oil company wants me to go. To the dark dark truth!!!)

Not that I condone using wikipedia for hard evidence, but I don't feel like walking over to my bookshelf to grab my books on heart disease/cardiovascular health right now and the definition that wikipedia has for trans fat is indeed accurate:
    "Trans fat is the common name for unsaturated fat with trans-isomer (E-isomer) fatty acid(s). Because the term refers to the configuration of a double carbon-carbon bond, trans fats are sometimes monounsaturated or polyunsaturated, but never saturated. "

So, please, be kind; know the difference between the fats. Saturated is and always was- the superior lipid above all other lipids. Monounsaturated is cool too, but remember- it's still somewhat unsaturated.
    Plus, saturated fat has been vilified for far too long (about sixty years now) and deserves the long-overdue praise.