PEANUT BUTTER AND CALORIES?

Options
I have heard that when you eat peanut butter, your stomach has to work hard to digest it, therefore you burn a large amount of calories. Is this true?

Replies

• axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    No. I wish!
  • keenesmom
    keenesmom Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Don't think it's true...however it doesn't matter to me. I LOVE peanut butter and eat it several times a week!
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Never heard that. There are negative calorie foods, like celery, that burn more calories digesting than they are themselves. However, considering peanut butter (although healthy) is really calorie dense, I doubt digesting will hardly put a dent in it....
  • Snackman88
    Snackman88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I never heard this before. Love PB&J's and putting peanut butter in my protein shakes. The way to burn a lot of calories is pushing yourself hard and long. Go get some!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Never heard that. There are negative calorie foods, like celery, that burn more calories digesting than they are themselves. However, considering peanut butter (although healthy) is really calorie dense, I doubt digesting will hardly put a dent in it....
    10 calories of celery takes less than 2 calories for your body to digest. Unless my basic math skills have take a sharp decline I believe that 10 - 2 = 8.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    No.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    if that were true, I'd weigh 90 pounds!!
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options

Yep "negative calorie" foods is a myth that's long been busted. No such thing, unfortunately :(
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    No. Google "Thermic Effect of Feeding".
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I really like this theory. I am going to start incorporating it in to my diet immediately.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Never heard that. There are negative calorie foods, like celery, that burn more calories digesting than they are themselves.

no, there aren't.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You may be talking about whole nuts. Fibre and the fact that not all of the fats are absorbed and some are passed means the calories absorbed are slightly different to nutritional labels.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

There is no such thing as calorie negative.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    if you heard it, it's got to be true. makes complete sense to me. that's why i get the chunky peanut butter instead of the smooth. i figure that with the extra work my body has do in the process of chewing, swallowing and digesting the chunks, i'm in a calorie deficit from eating peanut butter alone! the deficit from the chunky peanut butter is so big i don't even count the bread from the PB sandwich!!!

wake-up_o_GIFSoupcom_zpscbfd407a.gif
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I find crunchy has a "corn" effect. I call it "low calorie" PB for this reason.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    if you heard it, it's got to be true. makes complete sense to me. that's why i get the chunky peanut butter instead of the smooth. i figure that with the extra work my body has do in the process of chewing, swallowing and digesting the chunks, i'm in a calorie deficit from eating peanut butter alone! the deficit from the chunky peanut butter is so big i don't even count the bread from the PB sandwich!!!

Smart thinking. I'm gonna' go have an apple dipped in crunchy PB - I shouldn't even have to log that sucker!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Never heard that. Either way, I love my peanut butter! I have 2 tbsps a day! Sometimes more.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Smart thinking. I'm gonna' go have an apple dipped in crunchy PB - I shouldn't even have to log that sucker!
    Apples are negative calories according to some people too, so you've got a double negative going there. You may have to eat some calories back just to make up for the hyooge deficit you'll be creating!
  • msforst23
    msforst23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    random PB tip: PB2 (http://www.bellplantation.com/) is a low cal PB alternative that [in my opinion] tastes like crap when mixed with water, as is suggested on the container. HOWEVER, I find that when I mix it with a little bit of plain Greek yogurt, it totally does the trick in getting me my PB fix.

Source: PB addict
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    There are no negative calorie foods....and peanut butter wouldn't be even close. But peanut butter is tasty and good for you and versatile. Use and enjoy it!