Why are you giving me advice?

Options
I've had something strange happen recently and wondered if anyone else has experienced this. This year so far I've had some people come up to offer me unsolicited advice about my diet. Normally this is generally annoying when it is people who don't even know what I'm eating regularly and when I wasn't even asking them in the first place. But the biggest reason it irked me was that it came from people just starting out on their own weight loss journey.

I enjoy when people share things that worked for them because sometimes something they did is something I decide to try out. And I have no problems asking for advice when I'm struggling. I'm not perfect and know I could still improve my nutrition and fitness routine. But to have someone just barely 20 pounds in come to me specifically to say "You need to eat this." or "You need to do this diet." without me even asking (and why is it always a Dr. Oz diet... *le sigh*) makes me want to scream. I'm only 6 pounds from my goal. I obviously have figured out some things to have gotten this far.

Anyone else running into people like this or am I just lucky?

Replies

• runningfataway
    Options
    Listen Smile Agree And Then Do Whatever The **** You Were Gonna Do Anyway - Robert Downey Jr.

robert.jpg
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from... Gotta love it when people have all the answers but have not applied it to their own life. I heard it preached one time that a person is far more likely to listen to somebody about how to make money if they are a millionair than if they live in government housing... Walk the walk THEN I'll listen to you talk.
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with runningfatawa. Great job, keep it up as you have been very successful. Just nod your head when someone gives advise and then move on. You are doing the right thing for you!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Lol yep happens to me too. After over 100 pounds lost, I too think I might've figured some things out...lol
  • Sharkington
    Options
    It doesn't happen to me often, but it does every once in awhile. I will usually listen to what they have to say, but most of the time it is usually some crazy "diet" and I either choose to nod my head, smile, and ignore it, or express my feelings on why I don't agree. (The latter of which I only do if it is a friend or family member). I have no problem with suggestions and trying new foods (i have tried all sorts of great foods thanks to people here on MFP suggesting them), but I tend to avoid the word "diet" like the plague.
  • jazzy1a
    Options
    The people who are just starting out on their latest diet journey are often excited about it ("THIS is the ONE that's GONNA WORK!") and so their enthusiasm compels them to share...don't take it personal it so much more about them then it is about you :smile:
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Listen Smile Agree And Then Do Whatever The **** You Were Gonna Do Anyway - Robert Downey Jr.

robert.jpg

:flowerforyou:
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It is only from the women at my work and goes something like this, I was watching Dr. Oz today and he said X, Y, Z and you should be doing that instead of this crazy diet you follow. Mind you I eat 90% clean and have been able to lose 90Lbs on my own, I think I got this covered! I smile, say I will look into it and leave it at that :) There is no magic diet pill that will solve the worlds problems!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    The people who are just starting out on their latest diet journey are often excited about it ("THIS is the ONE that's GONNA WORK!") and so their enthusiasm compels them to share...don't take it personal it so much more about them then it is about you :smile:

^^This. They are probably just excited to be starting out and figure you would be interested in discussing nutrition and fitness since you've obviously been successful. Take it as a compliment that they know you pay attention to what you eat--so many others don't.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I got told "you dont need to go to the gym, your skinny enough" ..... nevermind that I'm going there to tone up right? I looked her up and down & then wondered why she's so fat despite her "healthy organic lifestyle". Then it dawned on me that she wants me to stop so I can be like her....... never again.

I walked off swinging my toned *kitten* as I went, while she walked the other way with her organic soy milk & walking stick.
  • dbrooks82
    dbrooks82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I dont so much get advice, but criticism. They like to tell me im starving myself, i need to eat more, and my favorite...why are you even bothering?! Why is none of their business, really none of it is lol I eat enough for me and i tell them that 30 lbs in 6 months im pretty sure im doing just fine. Keep doing what works for you! Youre doing fantastic! Try telling them something that works for you, spin it around onto them! :)
  • conorpatmanCHANGED
    conorpatmanCHANGED Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    this like did i ask you
  • ferrytrip
    ferrytrip Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Just lucky
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

This always amuses me to no end. I've always been known as one of those healthy, fit types. I'm already where I want to be and I've never been overweight, but it's funny how the same people who have yo-yo'd for decades just always have to push their latest fad on ME. OMG it's like a new magic diet comes along every year or two. Like, "You're in great shape, but you might like to try this and see if you can get even better!" No offense meant, but the number of low carb fans who have pushed low carb at me for years but never stuck to it themselves is amazing. The several I've known are great at losing but just can't keep it off long-term. I've only seen one long-term success with that particular group - and that guy is dedicated! :drinker: Yet these same people won't even try my lifestyle! I never even get asked for advice. Maybe they just think I'm naturally gifted. Oh well - their loss... :laugh:

ETA: Low carb is a valid lifestyle. I just hate it when people try to push it as the only way. :flowerforyou:
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lzvydg1Wgd1r5jtugo1_250.gif
  • stellabobella79
    stellabobella79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Meh...it's probably like born again Christians or first time Moms. (no offense if you are a born again Christian or a first time Mom. I've been both, lol). They are just super gung ho and are probably happy they found a diet friend to talk at. ;)

Just smile and nod.
  • optimist49
    Options

robert.jpg

awesome pic of Robert :)
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    This happens to me once in a while too, if and when it does I just use that Downey approach.

Most common for me though is people will ask what I'm doing.. I'm like, "did P90X first, then kind of just started doing my own thing, but eating better is by far the most important part."

That last part usually gets lost in translation somewhere since it's the most challenging part.

EDIT: And furthermore, so many people who only see me eat, tell me I eat like a bird. Yeah, my food diary would like a word with that opinion!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    F@ck 'em.

It seems strangers that I meet for the first time are extremely interested in how I did it. (Makes me feel good)

It seems FRIENDS feel the need to tell me HOW I should continue. (Makes me wanna vomit on them)
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    F@ck 'em.

It seems strangers that I meet for the first time are extremely interested in how I did it. (Makes me feel good)

It seems FRIENDS feel the need to tell me HOW I should continue. (Makes me wanna vomit on them)

Don't do that, or they'll call you bulimic.