What do you tell yourself to keep you from quitting?

Options

Replies

• Rebah55
    Options
    I know I'm not the only person in the world who wants to give up. But sometimes I feel like I am. I love food. I dream about food. I work around food. And I have to keep telling myself if I eat everything I see I won't be able to in the front door, or sit in an arm chair. My son is in Afghanistan and he hasn't given up, so I won't either. He is my inspiration to keep going and not be a quitter this time.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Your just one week into it. You will get a bit better at how to track to make it take less time. What did you expect though?
    Dust yourself off and see you next week. I usually will refer to this when I need some motivation.

dr_phil_your_fat.jpg

Love this!

Remember why you started this in the first place <sometimes multiple times a day>. There is no end, if what you're looking for is a healthy life and not a temporary fix; so, take each day as it comes. Some will be better than others, so don't beat yourself up if you feel like you've had a bad day.

If you're just starting, and already feeling overwhelmed, reevaluate your initial settings and take it slower. Make small, sustainable changes to begin with. Too much, too soon can lead to feeling defeated before you've ever really begun.

I have no desire to ever feel again, the way I did when I started, so quitting is not in my vocabulary.
  • allenhandley
    allenhandley Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I keep a few old photos of myself when I was in better shape on my bathroom mirror,. All I have to do is look at those pictures and then look down at the belly that is hanging over my belt. And then there was the time my daughter looked at me and said, "Daddy you are getting fat". I'm pretty self motivated, and that is all it takes
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I gave myself 90 days. I told myself "I can do this, it's only 90 days" At the end of the 90 days I had lost 25 lbs which motivated me to continue. My blood work also came back normal after having an extremely high cholesterol level just 90 days before! It will make a difference. Just give yourself some time and give yourself the gift of health. You can do this!
    :flowerforyou:
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i keep telling myself (after 2 years of being on MFP) that i have come too far, and that i look and feel better thinner, tho i still have about 15 lbs to go..i have many days i just want to give up and eat everything in sight, and think of how easier it would be to be fat again, but keep pushing..its worth it in the end
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I ask myself, what is the alternative, and the answer to that is getting fatter. I hit rock bottom at 321lbs and I have a long way to go, but the alternative is waking up a year from now being 350+ lbs. It is not an option at least not for me. Yes I do have days when I think eff it this is too hard, but even if it takes a month to lose a lb the feeling when i see that loss is more than worth it. YOU ARE WORTH it, don't give up :)
  • trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I keep an old pic of me in a bikini handy. And when I want to jump off the band wagon I look at pics of myself before and that motivates me! Good luck and your journey and there is so much great support on here!
  • nld410
    nld410 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm coming off my first week too and yes, it requires more effort than before. But if you lost a pound a week, next year you'd be down 50 pounds. If you don't think 50 pounds is a lot, look at some of the success story pictures. You could look and feel like a whole other person, get off meds., feel more energetic etc. Are there some ways you can make counting calories easier? Do you use the phone app? do you eat many of the same foods every day, you can just click the box. I think the first 2 weeks are an adjustment, for sure. And there are many times along the way that you feel like not doing it. At the end of everyday my husband and I say," I commit to doing this again tomorrow" Then the whole journey doesn't seem so daunting.
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    For me, this isn't a means to an end...it's the beginning of forever. I try to simplify things as much as possible--eating as "normal" as possible with lower calories/carbs, and cleaner. Working out has taken the place of previous tv watching...I was doing nothing then and now I'm moving! Do I want to give up? Sometimes. But I just keep moving. The energy I have is worth it, the relief from aches and pains and headaches is worth it. My much clearer skin is worth it. So many things that make this worthwhile, that I can't just quit and continue be fat and unhealthy--because WHY? It's easier? Being dead doesn't take any work either and so I work hard, every day! I make time, I make it happen, and I enjoy it.

You can do this!
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    For me this has little to do with how I look in a pair of skinny jeans (though that's a nice side benefit!). This is about my health and my life! I have Type II Diabetes that purely through diet and exercise I have in complete control. I also have my blood pressure right where it should be, and my good and bad cholesterol are perfect. At 185 pounds all of those numbers added up to an early death for me, not to mention I looked and felt terrible. The 60 year old version of me can run circles around the 50 year old version of me. In fact, other than just having had a hip replacement (not necessarily caused by being over weight but certainly an aggravating factor), I feel better and far more fit than I did at 30! ALL of this keeps me from quitting! I let my guard down for a little while and regained 17 pounds of the 70 I had lost, but I have now lost not only that 17 but 4 more on top of that! This is my life AND my lifestyle now. Quitting is not an option!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I am sure that this is quite overwhelming for you. If you have always been overweight, you can't envision yourself being at a healthy weight. You need to find the healthy person in side of you and start taking care of her, so she can become stronger than the outer person who has taken over.

If 130 pounds seems out of reach, then change your goal to only 30 or 40 pounds and shoot for that. Then when you reach that goal, add another 20 pounds or so. This way it won't seem so impossible. If you lose 1 pound per week, you can be almost 30 pounds lighter in 6 months. At that point you will have less than 100 pounds to your ultimate goal.

1 pound a week is only a 500 calorie deficit per day. Switching out healthier foods and eating smaller portions can easily create a 500 cal deficit, without feeling deprived. Moving your body more will also help create that deficit. At the weight you are now, and your age, this won't be hard for you to lose at least a pound a week at this point.

The first thing you have to do is get your brain around it, and accept some realities.

Yes, there are people who look like they don't have to diet or watch their weight, and they are naturally thin. You are not that person. It is not fair, but not much in life is fair. Accept that you will need to change some eating habits and start moving more. Is being 130 pounds lighter, worth making those changes? When your answer is 'Yes', then you are ready to begin.

At your age now, chances are, if you lose the weight over the next couple of years, your skin will shrink back to normal, or close to it. If you wait until you are 30 or 40, not only will you have even more weight to lose, the odds are that you might be left with a lot of loose and sagging skin that will have to be surgically removed. Ed Davenport has documented his body lift surgery in full, gory details on his blog. You really need to check that out to see what is in your future if you continue to gain weight and put this off.

You will also have wasted another 10-20 yrs of your life, being miserable. At that point you will most likely have developed some serious health problems, i.e. diabetes, High blood pressure, heart disease, and your bones and joints will be damaged from carrying around all the extra weight.

Trust me, if you think this is hard at 22, imagine how hard it will be at 42, with another 100 pounds or so on top of it.

You just have to decide if you are worth the effort. I think you are. But no one else can do it for you.
  • mshopey
    mshopey Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If every time i quit, i stayed strong and carried on instead, i would already be the person i want to be.
    Quitting just prolongs you being healthy and happy.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I feel like that a lot... But you just have to really want it i guess... Go look at your body in the mirror and ask yourself if thats what you are happy looking like... If not, then you know whatcha gata do! When i forst started excersizing, to get my butt off the coach i would be all like "ahhh im too lazy..." and then i'd tell myself "just do it, once your done youll feel better and then you can go be lazy again" :) Now i have like nooo problem going to the gym! Its actually my favorite place to be...

If you are getting so tired of counting so quickyl, just ease into it. Pick a few days a week were you dont count your food, then eliminate those days slowly.. And remember a "cheat meal" will not hinder your progress... If your eating healthy all the time, dont feel like you cant go out to eat with other once in a while! Cheat meals are good for the mind :)

Good luck! And dont give up yet!! Just take it slow.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Quitting just isn't an option. This is my life now, and that's the end of it. Of course, it's not quite that simple, but that is the underlying thought in my head. I also think about how much better I feel now than I did 2 years ago, how much more able to do things I am, how much better I feel about myself. Working out makes me feel like a damn warrior (I can't believe I just said that, LOL). There's no way I'm giving that up.

Love this, and that's how I feel.

I (begrudgingly) accepted that logging my food (most of the time, anyway) and regular exercise is just something I have to do as an adult, like paying bills, shoveling sidewalks (which I need to get to), flossing my teeth, and doing the laundry.

At first for me, it was just a personal challenge and a fitness goal. I wanted to be able to run a 5k. I was never a runner and always hated running, but I was jealous as hell seeing pictures of my brother and my niece doing races together. I thought, "Genetically, they're no different than me! If they can do it, so can I!" So when I joined here, that was my goal. Not losing weight, not lowering body fat, not gaining muscle... just being able to put one foot in front of the other for three point one miles.

Now, more than two years later, I realize that as frustrating, boring, annoying, tedious (insert any other word that makes you feel like a kid throwing a temper tantrum saying, "BUT I DON'T WANNA!!!!") as exercising and logging food can be... it's worth every second of it.

Logging my food isn't about limiting my intake, it's about fueling my body properly. And exercising isn't about self-punishment or hating my body, it's about showing myself just how much I care about staying healthy.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing this? Think about it for awhile... and write down the reasons. You can write them on your profile here or somewhere else. Write many reasons -- small and large. Major ones might include living longer, getting off medication; smaller ones might include not feeling bad after dinner tonight.

Set yourself major goals, but also interim goals. What's your exercise goal for next week? What's your better eating goal for next month? How many inches will you lose in 3 months? Fitting back into the jeans you have that are one size smaller? Eating enough fiber tomorrow? Exercising at least 5 minutes every day for a week? Three push-ups? The first five pounds lost? Being able to touch your toes? Getting half-way to goal? Being able to walk a mile at a brisk pace without being to tired to talk? Running your first 5k? Staying within 100 calories of your daily goal every day for 2 weeks?

Figure out some interim, non-food rewards. Consider things that make you feel good about yourself and reinforce the benefits of your progress. But some of the things people have suggested in other threads are buying new clothes, getting a manicure, buying exercise equipment, treating yourself to a bubble bath, going on a hike or out dancing with friends, taking some time off from normal chores and doing a craft you enjoy.

Think about your choices... you either do this now, or it just gets worse.

Take a look as some of the success stories for more motivation and ideas.

Edited to add:
    Oh, and think about your expectations... if you think about this as a temporary change, your results will be temporary. How many years did it take you to develop the body you have now? And you expected that all to change in one week? Set some more realistic expectations.

And don't try to make all the changes and expect everything to change all at once. I've collected some more suggestions at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-to-use-myfitnesspal-427993

Good luck!
  • goddess2go
    goddess2go Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I remember that one day I will be free. Be able to walk into any store and buy what I want and feel good and free in it. My body will be free to do whatever it needs be run up 9 flights of stairs or dance for 4 hours straight any night. Also watched a clip from Jillian Michaels where she doesnt have to count calories as she knows what is right for her and pays attention if her clothes become a little tight she knows what to do. I am imagining what that freedom is like. To be free of the weight and be light and free.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Don't fucus on the results, focus on change. When you focus on results, you'll never see the change; when you focus on the change, you will ultimately see the results. Someone on here told me this one time, and it's invaluable advice for this journey.
  • tinyzombie
    tinyzombie Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I go online and save pictures I find of women whose bodies I admire. This is anyone from bikini contests, to crossfit pics, before/after photos from here, etc. I also save pics with motivational quotes/phrases on them.

I do this, too. It has helped me out a lot, because whenever I feel down, even if I "don't want to see those pictures", I force myself to sit there and look at them. At first, I think my fiance was worried I was just upsetting myself, but it doesn't upset me at all anymore. Now, I sit there and look at the definition in their abs and arms, or their muscular thighs, and it motivates me so much because it reminds me, that is the body I've wanted my whole life, and the only thing between me and that body is my own thinking. I also love the inspirational quotes. One of my favorites is, "Your mind will quit a thousand times before your body will." It reminds me that I AM capable of this, as long as I tell that nagging little voice in the back of my head, "No, I don't NEED that candy bar, go to hell!" ;)

The other thing that motivates me is my future family. I was raised in an unhealthy family and have been obese from a VERY young age. I don't want that for my children, but I know that, if I can't gain enough self-control to make myself happy, I won't be able to have the self-control to keep my kids happy, either - to cook healthy meals instead of grabbing McDonald's, to take them to the park and wear them out instead of planting our butts down in front of the television all weekend. While I'm not planning on having kids for another 4-6 years, why not go ahead and get myself in a healthy lifestyle and make those things a habit now?

The last thing is, because I've been obese my whole life, more or less, I'm 20 years old and have never known what it's like to feel really, genuinely sexy. I've never touched a bikini, never worn a dress shorter than an inch above the knee, never worn "daisy dukes" or a sexy halloween costume. While these things aren't the most important thing in the world, dammit, I want to do all of them at least once and feel HOT about it! ;)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I whined my first week. I went through the motions of calorie counting dragging my feet. When I lost 1.5 pounds that first week.. i realized it was worth it..lost 2lbs my second week. I'm now 35 days in..and I'm totally into it. I've found low calorie snacks i love, i've reworked my favorite foods into recipes that are low calorie and tasty. I've learned tricks to bulk up my food. So, I'm never hungry and I'm eating great food. I'm also eating back exercise calories and that encourages me to work out.

Also... I adhere to the eat more to lose. I tried that 1200 calorie a day thing and that sucks. I eat 1650 a day..and then add my exercise calories to that.

I eat creamy cheesy pasta..sloppy joes.. i make my own dark chocolate bark with cheerios and marshmallows. And tracking is now fun and adding mfp friends is important for support. There are short cuts to the logging..you just need to learn them.

Lazy is what got us here...and that is what you're feeling...the lazy monster is ruling your life..you need to kick him to the curb.
    '
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Success is not a race, be patient.

Quote: “You must have long-range goals to keep you from being frustrated by short-range failures.” ~Charles C. Noble