Eating fruit = excess of sugar?

Options
124»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    x__x Is anyone else worried about this? After I put sugar on the macro-thingy on my food tracker I noticed that very often i take in waay way more sugar than the goal tells me to.

For example, I think I might have eaten almost the entire 6 recommended fruit a day in one smoothie... And the counter says that it totals to about 50 gr of sugar!! x__x How on earth can one eat 6 fruits and not go over that amount? ... of man.. if I have to restrict fruit cos of sugar intake, I'll be sad.

I quit worrying about sugar about two weeks in when I learned figured out that carbohydrates are a macro-nutrient and sugar is a carbohydrate,
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Btw, 1g of carb is 4 calories, 1g of protein is 4 calories, 1g of fat is 9 calories... Fat is the problem.
    tumblr_lke3t0MH121qclt3z.gif

Awesomeness!

Avoiding fat can lead to severe hormonal problems, among other things.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar...doesn't matter what the source...the body sees it the same way. Once sugar enters the bood system a insulin response is produced, fat burning stops and fat storage begins.
    Protein elicits an insulin response so in that context fat storage also begins.
    Maybe...but on a much smaller scale.

Protein slows increases in insulin levels, which you want to keep in balance to avoid weight gain."

to be less confusing. Using the word balance isn't very good as your body release insulin so your blood glucose levels stays 'in blance'. Insulin up means blood sugar down
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar...doesn't matter what the source...the body sees it the same way. Once sugar enters the bood system a insulin response is produced, fat burning stops and fat storage begins.
    Protein elicits an insulin response so in that context fat storage also begins.
    Maybe...but on a much smaller scale.

Protein slows increases in insulin levels, which you want to keep in balance to avoid weight gain."

to be less confusing. Using the word balance isn't very good as your body release insulin so your blood glucose levels stays 'in blance'. Insulin up means blood sugar down
    My point is that insulin is not responsible for fat being stored, excess calories are what causes fat to be stored. Insulin regulates glucose in the blood, but it also helps transport glucose to cells where it's used as immediate ATP (energy) a process called glycolysis which also produce pyruvic acid which is converted to acetyl CoA and then citric acid, which is where most ATP is produced and insulin also supplies muscle with glycogen. Insulin is not the boogy man.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I may have to give up fruit so I can have a sugar in my coffee. I know that's not great but I have already cut out so much and I can't drink coffee without. Can't really cut the coffee either as I am a sleep-deprived momma!!

Fruit sugar is good! Have fruit and sugar in your coffee :) Don't worry about going over your sugar if it's naturally occuring.
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    Its weird people say stay away from fruit, when fruititarians are ALWAYS skinny and lean. While paleo, atkins, high protein and fat dieters and their leaders are mostly fat.
    This is blatantly false, and easily disprovable. Were you intentionally trolling?

I know several people who have been Atkin strict for years, dropped all their excess fat and kept it off. I don't subscribe to Atkin's, myself, because I know it's not something I can do for life, but look at the Paleo/ Primal leaders. Robb Wolf, Courdain. All fit and healthy. Robb Wolf was terribly sick on a vegetarian diet, with hypertension and all kinds of other problems. He discovered the paleo lifestyle, switched, and now is strong and healthy and runs a fitness center.

Just because you, personally, dislike paleo or atkins or high protein dieters, don't hate on the methods that thousands and thousands of people are having great health and success with. If you're having success and health from eating fruit, then do that. Not everyone wants to live like that, and would rather enjoy a good steak or some bbq chicken, and have great health.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    The MFP limits are really low. The World Health Organization says that up to 10% of your calories should come from sugar. The USDA says 6-10%. So, about 50 grams of sugar on a 2,000 calories diet.

Short version: MFP bases its recommendation on added sugar, but then all sugar gets summed into the total. You are better off making sure to eat under your carb target and to meet your fiber target, and the sugar will just fall into place on its own.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    In order to get pretty much the same vitamins and minerals as from fruit, I use berries. While 100 grams of apple has 10 grams of sugar, 100 grams of rasberries has 3,2 grams. I use the frozen ones, and mix them in smoothies and desserts. It's great!

However: unless you have an insulin resistance or some other reason to avoid sugar, don't worry about whole fruit. The thing about processed sugar or added sugar (such as sugar in the coffee) is that it doesn't come packed in fibre. The fibre slows down the release of sugars in fruit, whole grain and vegetables into the bloodstream. It's why it's popularly called "slow carbs". This means you will also avoid the crash after a bloodsugar peak. That crash makes you tired and hungry, and makes dieting so much harder!!! If you can avoid the highs and lows of bloodsugar, but keep it more even, you will feel a lot better in general, and it will be easier to diet in particular.