Jokes about your weight at work

Options
13»

Replies

• tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Some people are just mean. They get their kicks at others expense. I wouldn't bother thinking about their motives, I wouldn't think of them at all.
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    That's really horrible. At my job, that kind of behavior will get you fired on the spot.
  • morf13
    morf13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I used to be good friends with these two ladies at work but I haven't seen much of them lately as we are no longer working closely together. As I walked past their department and smiled, they pointed to this other woman who was in the distance and said 'XXX thinks you are fat' and then laughed as though it was a joke. As XXX wasn't there to stick up for herself I laughed it off as I just thought 'Whatever I weight so much less than this time last year'.

But I am thinking either this woman said it and the other two ladies were enjoying telling me or it was something the two ladies wanted to say to me but using her name. Could it be because they have noticed I have lost weight and they are trying to make me feel bad or because they noticed and are making a joke in an amused way about it. I do know that they hate their jobs so spend too much time joking around these days.

What do you think? I'm not stressing too much about it as I feel good about my progress but I am wondering about their motive.

Wow,I didn't think this happened to women. I know guys say it to other overweight guys,but women saying it at work to other women surprises me. I get jokes too here and there,but I have made it known that I do not care for the comments in my workplace,and that I will make an issue out of it with management if I hear more. There is one person in particular that keeps up with the comments,and I took him aside and said he was going to have his *kitten* kicked if he kept disrespecting me. He let up after that. I know violence is not theanswer,but people should not disrespect you like that. I would suggest you make it known to management if it continues. You shouldn't be subjected to that at work (or anyplace)
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    thats workplace harrassment... Report it... let em seek employment with skinny folks after they are fired

Agreed. But it isn;t harrassment unless she tells them that it bothers her and they continue. This is the first thing HR would ask "did you let XXX know that it bothered you and to please stop?"
  • morf13
    morf13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    thats workplace harrassment... Report it... let em seek employment with skinny folks after they are fired

Agreed. But it isn;t harrassment unless she tells them that it bothers her and they continue. This is the first thing HR would ask "did you let XXX know that it bothered you and to please stop?"

Her first step is to ask them to stop,and then STILL REPORT IT to HR. Tell HR that you asked them to stop,just so there is a record of it
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options

Her first step is to ask them to stop,and then STILL REPORT IT to HR. Tell HR that you asked them to stop,just so there is a record of it

Do not report this to HR. You will sound like a total whining child. I've talked with people who work in HR for the city, and even they think that reporting this kind of "harassment" is plain silly.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I so disagree with the posts here on ignoring their hurtful comments. No matter how you look at it, that is a form of abuse - tell them to go f**k themselves. Why would you laugh with them about something that is putting you down?? A passive attitude is what "allows" people to bully others and get away with it. Putting them in their place is not becoming a b!tch - that is standing up for yourself !
    I know right? I would have at the least asked them to repeat themselves and call whoever it was over so they say it to my face if they did indeed say it all.
  • crabbok
    crabbok Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Maybe its like this:

Could it be that XXX thought you were fat, and the other ladies were aware of your weight loss so were actually laughing at Miss XXX, because she has no idea what she's talking about? That sounds alot more reasonable to me.