Trying to get accustomed to skim milk

Milk is pretty much my vice, I drink a lot of 2% milk and everybody who knows anything about health and fitness tell me I have to drink skim milk if I insist on drinking milk. It's just so awful, though... Anybody else have to do this? :grumble:

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    What are their reasons for saying you HAVE to drink skimmed milk?

My 2c

1 - do you enjoy drinking your 2% milk
    2- does it fit within your calories?

If the answer to both is yes, then drink it.

Even full fat milk, at 4% is still a low fat food.
  • joeq722
    joeq722 Posts: 86 Member
    Well I can tell you, the colder it is, the less you'll notice the difference.
    I can't drink any milk but skim now - I'd nover go back to even 1%
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Skim delight or skim delux is awesome if you can find it. I got down to 1% and left it there because I can't find any stores out here that carry plain skim. Not a big difference in my opinion.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Milk is pretty much my vice, I drink a lot of 2% milk and everybody who knows anything about health and fitness tell me I have to drink skim milk if I insist on drinking milk. It's just so awful, though... Anybody else have to do this? :grumble:

lol I know the feeling I grew up drinking 2% - but after about a year i got used to skim, now at this point it tastes normal to me, not watery like it used too
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    What are their reasons for saying you HAVE to drink skimmed milk?

My 2c

1 - do you enjoy drinking your 2% milk
    2- does it fit within your calories?

If the answer to both is yes, then drink it.

Even full fat milk, at 4% is still a low fat food.

Exactly this ^^.

I drink skimmed milk because I have got used to the taste and not even semi skimmed tastes slightly off because of the the bit of extra creaminess. But whatever you prefer, if it fits in your calories and you enjoy it then keep having it.
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    I never did adjust to drinking skim milk. I have no problems using it in smoothies or protein shakes or on cereal, but I can't drink it. Drinking for me is 1% or 2%. Anything higher than that is too creamy for me.
  • Heh because I drink a looooot of milk. And my judgement when it comes to serving sizes is terrible, I found out through a health freak friend that the amount of milk I was drinking was almost 2 servings and with 2% milk, was almost 10 grams of fat per glass. And I find myself drinking like, 4 to 5 cups a day. I could just measure the amount of milk I drink from now on but drinking fat free milk would easily shave off a ton of my fat intake...

I got 2% milk too just so I don't crack and also to mix it in with the skim to make my own half-assed version of 1% (because our local grocery store doesn't carry 1%)

So we'll see how that goes... Sighhh
  • mlima14
    mlima14 Posts: 112 Member
    I love to drink milk and I have it half a cup at a time to work it into my calorie goal. You might try that with the 2% milk, which by the way what I also drink.
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    I remember when we switched from 2% to Skim milk...when I was younger, my mother had high cholesterol and she started buying Skim for the whole family. It seemed very watered down and tasteless at the time. Now, I love it and 2% seems very thick and strong.

If you decide to switch over, try transitioning with 1% first, and when you can't tell the difference anymore, move onto Skim. Could be a less shocking way to switch to Skim.

Either way, milk is good for you!
  • Jubee31
    Jubee31 Posts: 93 Member
    Hubby loves milk, so we have been making the switch as well. We've both found that by buying the more expensive milk (Lactania PurFiltre or Natrel Fine Filter), it tastes MUCH better than the cheaper one. I'm in Canada btw, so not sure what your options are, but that has worked for us and it's worth the extra $2.50 every 4L. :)
  • Oldtyme72
    Oldtyme72 Posts: 12 Member
    The only time I really drink milk is with my protein shakes. I mix 1/2 cup of 2% w/ 1/2 cup of water. Mix. Throw in some ice. Mix again.
    I don't see the point of skim.... buy 2% & water it down : )
  • It is missing the proper vitamins that whole milk may have. Skim milk will keep you feeling not completely satisfied as well because it lacks the fat in it.
    This is relatable to farmers:
    “Guess what they feed a pig if they want to make it as fat as possible as fast as possible?
    Low-fat milk, because if they give the pig milk with fat in it, the pig gets satiated. It’s satisfied and won’t eat any more. But if they give it low-fat milk, it will eat the grain they feed it forever because it’ll have a deficiency of fat.
    Now think of what we’re eating for breakfast in this country…
    If you don’t want to get fat you’re told to drink low-fat milk, and corn or wheat or oat-based cereal.
    It’s the prescription to make you as fat as possible as quickly as you can get there. You’ll never stop wanting to eat because you’re never getting any food that causes satiation.
    Americans are told to eat a diet that is scientifically designed to make you as fat as possible as fast as possible.”
    -Dr. Al Sears, MD. Power for Healthy Living

Resources: http://www.eatingdisorderpro.com/2011/11/08/the-disadvantages-of-low-fat-milk/
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member

Ok so what I did was move to 1% for a while. I could not really tell the difference between 1% and 2 % I just recently found something in skim family that I love though... Here in Texas we have a store called HEB. HEB has their own brand milk called MOOtopia. It is also lactose free and has more protein and 1/2/ the sugar. But it is thicker than traditional skim, and taste great. I cook with it and drink it plain. The true test was I gave my husband who only likes whole milk and never liked even the 2% a glass and he didn't know the difference. He now will drink the milk I buy. :)

BTW:
    8 ounces=
    Calories: 90
    Protein 12 grams
    Fat:0
    Sugar:6

it is 50% more protein, 45% less sugar, and 25% more calcium, and lactose free.

I would never have tried this except that I bought the chocolate for the kids and was so impressed that when my son asked me to get him the FF (he's 17 and looking at protein options after a work out.) I did and had to try it when it wasn't see-through and having the grey color. it was a nice white milk.
  • I switched over to almond milk... rich & creamy! :smile:
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Been trying to switch over to almond milk as I am trying to limit the sugars that are in milk. Have to admit, however, that it is a tough one for me.

Those morning lattes just don't taste the same.

Most likely will be switching back to 2% (or even full on leaded) and watch portion control instead. Seems like it might be a more realistic scenario for me to go ahead and allow myself the luxury of that morning latte tasting just right, but keeping it to one a day and a 12 oz version at that - rather than going for a larger size latte (with almond milk) that just does not taste right to me.

Will stick with the almond milk version throughout this week just to see if my taste buds adjust, but will likely switch back if that does not happen.

All told, no big deal to me if I do switch back, I'll just have to make plans to budget for those extra calories and carbs and sugars from regular milk by making adjustments elsewhere.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member

Here in Texas we have a store called HEB. HEB has their own brand milk called MOOtopia...

Whoa, thanks for that tip. Will have to check this out 'cause the almond milk switch just isn't working for me.
  • tenshiblue
    tenshiblue Posts: 150 Member
    I drink whole, raw milk. I have no problem losing weight drinking raw milk.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    There us very little calories and fat difference! They both always have the same amount of sugar when I compare! I'd be cutting down the amount you drink because of the sugars, but I really don't think you need to swap to skimmed. Just drink it in moderation! X
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    I drink whole milk. The calorie difference isn't that big and whole milk has more nutrients.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member

well not everyone who knows anything about health and fitness would agree with the advice you've been given. The fat in milk is not bad, it's a good sources of fat soluble vitamins like A and D. The advantage of drinking skimmed milk is that it has fewer calories, so it's easier to keep it within your calorie budget. However if you can fit 2% milk in your calorie budget, then there's nothing wrong with drinking it if that's what you like the taste of better. You won't be able to have quite as much of it, or you may have to have slightly less of something else, to fit it into your calorie and macro targets, that is all. Some people drink full fat milk and still successfully lose weight and meet their body composition goals, because they keep it within their calories.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Skim milk is a terrible idea. First off, the fat in milk is healthy, heart protective fat. Secondly, most of the vitamins in milk are fat soluble, meaning you need the fat in the milk in order to digest the vitamins in the milk.

Drink the 2% milk. Much healthier than skim.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    I grew up on skim milk. It's the only thing my mom would by when I was a kid. She was an obese child, and was always in WW in the 60s and 70s when I was little. So she only would have skim in the house. To me, it's totally normal. I can deal with 1% occassionally if I have to. But 2% tastes gross to me and feels disgusting on my tongue.

Anyway, if you love 2%, just do it. It's not that huge of a difference. But if you really want to cut it down, I think you maybe need to go from 2% to 1% first. And then maybe move to skim after a long while.
  • Aw, man... Well my problem was my bad judgement with serving sizes more than anything. If I do a mixture of skim, 1% & 2% throughout the day, it should be fine as long as I use the measuring cup, right?
  • I switched over to almond milk... rich & creamy! :smile:
    Yeah, almond milk is great. I get unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I use it in oatmeal and I use it with torani sugar free vanilla syrup to make a latte.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    You don't HAVE to drink skim milk ...... but if you want to get there, just make gradual changes ......

I went from whole milk, to 2%, to 1% ..... then a combination of 1% & skim ...... and finally to skim milk ...... took about 3 years altogether (I'm a little slow)

Nowadays I like skim milk ...... even hubby is drinking it ...... and along the way also learned to tolerate black coffee :drinker:
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    I have always had semi-skimmed milk but I definitely would not go to the skimmed type ... YUK!! May as well just drink water with a touch of flavouring in my opinion.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

Milk is part of a healthy diet. It's no vice. Drink the milk you like the best. I drink whole milk. Milk fat is healthy.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Skim milk is a terrible idea. First off, the fat in milk is healthy, heart protective fat. Secondly, most of the vitamins in milk are fat soluble, meaning you need the fat in the milk in order to digest the vitamins in the milk.

Drink the 2% milk. Much healthier than skim.

You said it better than I did!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I'm not sure if it's available everywhere, but I get a brand called SuperSkim that cross-my-heart tastes just like regular milk. And what I like best about it is that it stays good long past the sell-by date. :blushing:
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Try unsweetened almond milk in regular or vanilla