Did you throw or give away your old clothes?

Options

Replies

• skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Donated - Cdn. Diabetes Assoc.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE NOT GONG BACK THERE.

Repeat until you believe it.

I gave mine to Goodwill as soon as they were too big, and I was really happy to do so......except for some PJs...because you can never be too comfy in PJs.

Don't give yourself any excuses or any easy ways to go back there.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Please don't throw them away. Consider donating your clothes to your local foster parent association. There are so many big teens who can't find clothes.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Goodwill. Between my wife and I, I was amazed how much stuff we've donated so far, and how much more we've accumulated that needs to be donated! The first run was over 11 large boxes full of clothes. I'm guessing we'll do that at least 2 more times before we're done.
  • babyskunkles
    babyskunkles Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't have that problem yet, but when I do, mine will be going to the battered women's shelter. A lot of times those ladies show up with only the clothes of their back.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE NOT GONG BACK THERE.

Repeat until you believe it.

I gave mine to Goodwill as soon as they were too big, and I was really happy to do so......except for some PJs...because you can never be too comfy in PJs.

Don't give yourself any excuses or any easy ways to go back there.

Absolutely! Now that I know the "secret" to weight loss, why would I ever think "just in case"? Even if I never lose another pound, I'll never go back to where I was.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I donate most of them. I wear a lot of nice clothes and I'm an avid thrift store shopper, so I like to give back. I only throw away clothes that are badly stained or ripped.
  • kbitzonefour
    kbitzonefour Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    GOODWILL! Have donated like 5 massive garbage bags of stuff so far. The more used clothing goes in le trash!
  • tamiam123
    Options
    In the past I donated my bigger clothes. Now that I have re-gained, I gave away my smaller clothes. If I can't wear it, it goes. No need having it sit in my closet when someone can actually use it. I am an emotional eater. Bagging on myself for not being able to fit the olds clothes just made me feel worst and exacerbated eating issues. I needed to accept that my weight didn't determine my value as a person and get rid of the idea of "bad foods". These ideas are helping me maintain my current weight.

Right now, my goal is to keep maintaining. This app is a reality check to determine if I am eating from hunger or feelings. If it's just emotional, I have to stop and think because I will need to log it.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I like to change my clothes anyways so donating every 6 months is a routine for me, even if the weight does not change. Otherwise I end up with a fully stuffed wardrobe which is always a mess. And I hate that.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I spent last year taking clothes and putting them in "The Pile" as they became two sizes too big. At the end of the year I donated 2 contractor bags of clothes (those gigantic trash bags).

I've kept one pair of pants from my biggest for the crazy weightloss picture. I am also hanging onto a couple of suits, one I will have tailored and one I'm going to donate once I find a place that will use it for interviews for homeless/needy people.

I've held onto a random tshirt here or there as they are instant jammies, but everything is gone as it didn't fit and was too big to wear anyway.
  • hypocritelecter
    hypocritelecter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Unless you PLAN on gaining the weight back, get rid of your older/bigger clothing. I always take mine to a thrift store (not Salvation Army/Goodwill/etc but a cheap local one) unless they have a stain or a hole. It's quite liberating to get rid of the old stuff, especially if you compare them to what you're wearing now! Do what you think is best, and keep going.
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My closet is the one thing I go through about 2x/yr. I donate anything I don't want anymore - as long as it's in good shape, of course. I will also be going to the thrift stores to buy some clothes since I have over 100 lbs to lose, I don't want to buy a new wardrobe at full price until I get where I want to get size wise - so thrift stores and year end sales for me. That said, I bought a lot of nice stuff this past winter at this big size so I will feel like I've wasted $$ when I pack it up to get rid of it. I probably won't have to deal with that though until next fall - for now, things are simply getting loose, but not enough that they're falling off. My guess is that it'll be spring before I get to that stage.
  • LdyPsych
    LdyPsych Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I took a lot of them up myself. I love clothes, so I have a lot of them - I didn't want to get rid of clothes I liked nor did I have time to go find many new clothes that I liked as much. I also added new ones at the new size as supplements. My rule is to never take up something twice if it is a pair of pants. For the rest, I donate.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I gave them away. I want regaining the weight to be as expensive and painful as possible.
  • KathyWel
    KathyWel Posts: 140
    Options
    Gave them to Goodwill.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I still have a lot of shirts in good condition that are somewhat oversize and may as well get some use from them, I have a few shirts oversize that are like new hardly ever worn and will sell on Craigs list. Some that are still wearable but too big, go to charity. The ones that are too worn got dumped. I had to get a new suit and dumped the old one, likewise some work trousers.

There is for sure some difficulty letting go, a lot of clothes should have been discarded months ago, it was only at the end of December when I bought new smaller shirts on sale and had no wardrobe space that I had to deal with it.
  • juliesmithdiet
    Options
    I must be alone then, I have been busy altering what I can, putting elastic in waists and belt hoop on skirts so I can belt them. Darts in tops and belted my coat and jackets. Only things I can't do anything about no one would want - undies.
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    i donated or threw away depending on what it was... old tank, with pit stains(because i wore it to the gym when it got too big for regular wear but not too big for gym wear) i threw away. things that still looked okay, i donated.
    there are a couple things that i haven't done anything with yet, i'm waiting for the weather to get nicer and then i'll get them altered. personally, i think that keeping your fat girl clothes "in case i get to that size again" is a waste. i think you're setting yourself up for failure! believe in yourself and believe that you're making a change in your whole life and you won't get to that size again.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Goodwill! Not going back! I haven't changed sizes yet - but when I do it is all going to Goodwill!