Did you throw or give away your old clothes?

Options

Replies

• raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    DONATE!

As soon as they were too loose for my taste they got donated! NOT going back!
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I never really lost an amount of weight that will prompt me to give away my clothes. But I agree with the consignment shops. That way you don't have choice of sliding back (you would have to spend money and buy new clothes). Also, you will get some money to buy yourself new ones and celebrate your success with shopping!
  • Silvara_11
    Silvara_11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've yo-yoed a few times this is my second time trying to loose 40+ lbs. Last year after I lost majority of my weight in July I went through my entire wardrobe and gave about 50% to charity, ear-,marked 25% for alterations when the differece was significant and put some really lovely pieces in my attic as a "pregnancy wardrobe" no I'm not looking ot have babies but it is for when i may have a reason to gain weight so I don't think oh I'll wear them when I've gained the weight back - but I may need them for a happier reason.

Funnily enough I got quite ill at the end of last year and so the 25% earmarked for alterations came back into circluation unaltered. Now having trimmed down a bit again I'm going though to up date what I'll be wearing for the next month of so.

I don't mind donating the cheap stuff but the designer stuff is getting altered or e-bayed.
  • marie_eve_78
    marie_eve_78 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Tank you all! I think my hesitation may also stem from the fact that I do not fully realise it yet, the amount of weight I lost... I keep telling myself that I may gain 6 pounds tomorrow and quickly get back to my big weight. Maybe it's because I weighed so much all these years...
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    eBay, made loads of money selling them :drinker:
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I donated them to charity.
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    I gave mine away. I was getting clothes from friends so once I lost enough, I got rid of the older, big stuff. I figure that if people helped me, I would love to help someone else. Why throw good clothes away when people need them?
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Goodwill & consignment shops. There is no point in a back-up plan because you will then fall into that plan. Challenge yourself, and if any of us do backslide, it's best to pay the consequences so we won't want to ever again. :-)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Don't tempt fate. Give them away. I did......there is no going back this time.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Gave away most, put the others away for a year. They are suits, which are expensive. My goal is that if I am able to keep the weight off for at least one year, then I will get rid of them for good.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have given away some and taken some to Goodwil.
  • Ironhead3td
    Ironhead3td Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    GARAGE SALE! and what doesn't sell goes to Goodwill or Salvation Army.
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I donate the nicer items, today I am attempting to turn the more beat up ones into a rag rug. Also I kept a pair of fat pants and a fat shirt....just in case.
  • zuchy
    zuchy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Everything went into the recycling bin. They sort out what can be donated and what not.
  • losingweightfindingme
    Options
    I donate everything I can (as long as it's not undergarments and is in fairly good condition). I started a tradition (when moving nonetheless) of going through my closet and drawers each year and getting rid of all of the clothing I had that either didn't fit or that I hadn't worn in over a year, with the exception of a pair of jeans in a smaller size (to work toward) and some cute dress clothes in smaller sizes that I hope to fit into again. The idea of shopping for a new wardrobe in smaller sizes is a huge motivator for me. I would never just throw away good clothes because I "outlost" them...because someone out there can use them. I'm actually between sizes now and look forward to making my next donation to Goodwill (for the usable stuff) and the garbage can (for the "holy" stuff).
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I've given them to the local charity shop. And bought 'new' ones from the charity shop!!! Cheaper than buying new, especially while I'm still losing weight!
  • SashaJaneJ
    SashaJaneJ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Donate. I donated bags full of clothes that was way to big on me. I took them took Goodwill. Then a friend of mine told me to start giving them to her. I have gave her several bags full of clothes.
  • tntgal2
    Options
    I gave some to Goodwill. For some good quality pants, I went to a really good tailor who was able to alter them. At $17 to $25 a pair, it was still cheaper than entirely buying new ones. On the other hand, while I don't like shopping, I love the range of things I can now try on and LIKE what I see!
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I gave some to friends, some to charity and some to the recycling bin. I don't ever intend going back to my old weight so those clothes are useless to me now :smile:
  • crystal2point0
    crystal2point0 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine - it was my way of saying "I WONT be this size again". But I dont throw any clothes away unless they are truly gargabe (ripped, torn, stained). I either leave them at a clothing donation pickup or take them to Goodwill.