Worst Gym Experience?

Options
124»

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I got in a screaming match with one of the staff members who went around at closing time to make sure that everyone vacated the gym immediately. this was after announcing several times how many seconds there were left until closing and saying afterwards, "not a second later!!!" when he approached me, i said ya i already heard you. he proceeded to argue with me. another gym member overheard and defended me. so, instead of being out of the club at possibly 8:01, i probably left at 8:10 because he felt the need to fight with me. this was a few weeks ago. i was going to file a complaint on the new york sports club website, but haven't done so. i might quit and go to equinox where the staff doesn't seem to harass you at closing.
  • AshS1050
    AshS1050 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i used to work at a gym for years. it was when i was in between being 19-21 and i was super fit but really shy abt working out in public. our office had two way mirrors where all the meat head jerks i worked with would sit and watch women working on cardio equipment. most of what they commented on was derrogatory and the closest anything came to a compliment was some lewd mention of her body. one day, a guy was bashing some girl running on the treadmill for having too big of calves (seriously?!?). when i looked up i saw that the girl was another worker who (i thought) had the absolute most perfect figure i've seen. i realized then that you're always being judged even when you're practically perfect. i now work out in my apartment gym (even though i have a membership somewhere) b/c it's so small that you are almost forced to work out alone.

thanks to all the jerks, i now have a public work out complex.
  • temple_n
    temple_n Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you had to go through that, I really hope it gets resolved for you and you can get out of that membership. I stopped going to the gym, it just didn't inspire me. I found instead that I thoroughly enjoy dance fitness like Zumba. I my area we have a studio call Just Dance and it's a very comfortable atmosphere with all types of people and we have so much fun working out. It's like a party. For strength training I go to Body Rock online and follow their cross training videos from home. I have found this to be most successful for me. Good luck and good job on your progress!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I used to have to go to physical therapy the aquatic kind and it was at a gym. For some reason a decent percentage of the asian ladies thought it was okay to clear their nostrils right onto the floor in the jazuzzi/steam room/sauna areas? They wore their flip flops for sure but still, that still bothered me. It kept me from doing these extra things my physical therapist insisted were good for me but I assured him that he didn't know the whole story and they were not.

After that I made sure to always ask what gym my PT would be taking place at and go check it out on a free pass or tour beforehand if possible because trying to change once assigned to one was a task and a half and took some time during which I was not supposed to miss sessions. The good part of the story is once I changed I ended up at a place with more qualified and hotter PT's anyways and my work there was much more productive as was my motivation :wink: .
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Update: I have been in contact with the CEO and the "VP of Fitness." They both seem to think this is about money or "buyer's remorse." They keep offering free sessions with a different trainer. They can't or won't understand that I can not walk through those doors. How do I make them understand just how scared I am to run into this guy, even if he is 'on his best behavior' or whatever?

I have a panic attack just thinking about trying to go back in and work out there. I am *scared.* I hate being this afraid, and feeling so weak and pathetic. HATE it. I don't want free training, and haven't even really asked for a refund. I just want out. I want this whole ordeal behind me.

Why won't they just let me out?!

Personally, I'd take the *kitten* trainer out back for a little one on one consultation. You don't deserve to be treated that way. Ever.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Use the below term and cite this lawsuit when speaking with corporate management of the gym. Give 10 days notice and then bring a copy of this article to a lawyer. Generally an attorney will not charge for a consultation....& if you elect not to hire the attorney, find another.
    he filed a suit for Deceptive Trade Practices and Negligence. He reasons, as a consumer, the woman signed a contract. She lived up to her end of the bargain. LA Fitness didn’t live up to theirs by providing a safe workout environment.

Jaimie Johnson went to LA Fitness in Plano to get fit. But she says two personal trainers talked to her in ways that are unfit for anyone.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/02/02/sexually-suggestive-exercises-center-of-la-fitness-lawsuit/
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I got in a screaming match with one of the staff members who went around at closing time to make sure that everyone vacated the gym immediately. this was after announcing several times how many seconds there were left until closing and saying afterwards, "not a second later!!!" when he approached me, i said ya i already heard you. he proceeded to argue with me. another gym member overheard and defended me. so, instead of being out of the club at possibly 8:01, i probably left at 8:10 because he felt the need to fight with me. this was a few weeks ago. i was going to file a complaint on the new york sports club website, but haven't done so. i might quit and go to equinox where the staff doesn't seem to harass you at closing.
    that reminds me of experiences at the downtown Y i used to go to. i got to a different Y now and it's great. but i would usually stay right up until closing, but i was never leaving a single minute after closing. so i'd be on the treadmill getting cooled down or whatever and one specific employee would always stare at me and i could tell she was annoyed. i got off the treadmill and ran up stairs to get my stuff out of my locker and i heard her groan, she probably thought i was going to work out more or something. she would also start turning off all the t.v.s while i was still on the treadmill. i don't really pay attention to them anyway but it was a very passive aggressive way of saying "GET OUT". it was all very rude, but nothing compared to some of the terrible treatment other people in this thread have received.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Worst Gym Experience?

A very sudden visit from my least favorite aunt, followed by the discovery that there wasn't a feminine product dispenser in the locker room.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    My worst gym experience was yesterday. The whole time was friend was staring at me and she was moving from machine to machine. She made her way to the treadmill next to me which was the worst thing ever. She was literally running on her toes causing her to look like a bunny hopping. Distracting much? I was constantly giving her tips and she wouldn't take them. I still want to pull my hair out!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i always have on my headphones in the gym. usually playing music but sometimes just to discorage people from talking to me. one such day 2 of the regular guys were discussing how on earth anyone could have sex with me. they finally decided it would have to be from behind with eyes closed so they wouldnt have to look at me and keeping contact to a minimum.

fact is i wouldnt have touched either with my worst enemys vagina thou im too polite to say that

i didnt go back to that gym thou my membership was for any of the 9 gyms in the chain in my area so i simply switched to a lesser used one
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    are you sure they were talking about you? that's unbelievable!
  • MyLoveRenegade
    Options
    I'm really broke, so I go to a gym offered by my school for free on certain days. Well, there are often members from various sports teams working out there at the same time. One day, the whole football team was in there and I really needed to work out, seeing as I'd been sick a week and hadn't. So I go in, knowing it's going to be an awful experience. Literally the second the door closes behind me, I started getting the snickers. I was wearing a pair of loose sweat pants and a tee shirt, so it's not like I was exposed or anything, but they would stare at me. I kept my earphones in so I didn't have to hear the ridicule, but it was obvious they were talking about me. After my workout, I bent over to get the spray bottle to clean off the machine, and one of them slapped my behind so hard I nearly bashed my face against the base of the machine. Ever since that day, I nonchalantly peek in to see if they are there, and if they are, I just walk around the interior of the school until they leave.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i was the only woman there so unless they mistook one of the guys for a woman then its pretty safe to assume they were talking bout me
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    The BBB finally processed my complaint. The company is now saying that the guy has turret's and that he laughs constantly against his will. They are also saying that they won't let me out of my contract because it would "send the wrong message to other members who wish to be absolved of their responsibilities."

RESPONSIBILITIES, MY *kitten*!

Aren't THEY responsible for providing a safe environment?

I am so mad right now, I want to go smash all their windows or something! I can't afford a lawyer, and there seem to be nothing but divorce lawyers around here anyway, so there is nothing I can do! This is such bull****!