I just ate an entire pound of strawberries.

Options
now, strawberries are supposed to be good for you
and a pound of strawberries is like, ~150 calories, but that was like $4 for what amounts to a snack@@ A burger off the McDonalds $1 menu is like 400 calories!!

Who knew fruit was so expensive!!

are there any other foods that are healthy but people don't eat more often because of economic concerns?

Replies

• waterpanda
    Options
    It just occurred to me that this might be better in the "Chit chat" board. if a friendly mod would like to move it there, I would appreciate it : )
  • coke_momma
    coke_momma Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I myself think that $4 is better spent on fruit then at a fast food place. I never have been a fast food eater. Sometimes I hear people say thats alot for one apple usually over $1 but I will say ya but you don't mind spending it on a chocolate bar.
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Why really. I don't understand why it should be moved. Seems like a valid question to me. Ad I ate my over priced good for you corner bakery breakfast as opposed to mcdonalds I thought the same thing. Oh well each to his own.
  • orangelobster
    Options
    I want a pound of strawberries....right now. Mmmmm
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Intense....that is too many for me!
  • amberpitz
    amberpitz Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    just think of it this way...you paid 3 dollars to live a bit longer...:) hopefully..thats a great investment
  • Kattamer81
    Options
    Strawberries are on sale 2 lbs for 3.00 at my grocery store. :)
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    We're on vacation and just had chocolate dipped strawberries...yum. I know it's more expensive but I'll take the fruit and veggies over the fast food any day!
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    I wonder how much sugar is in a pound of strawberries...
    ._____.
  • emobarbie7
    Options
    lol I eat bags of carrots in a sitting, and grapes....pffft forget it, I eat half the bag before I can get it to the fridge from the store...better fruits and veggies than chips and junk, 4 dollars for a healthy, filling snack, i'd rather have less money and a full belly then more money and a huge tummy :)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    You spent $4 on a pound of strawberries? Of course produce is expensive out of season, they have to ship it from timbuktu.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I hear you on the expensive side of healthy eating. I try to shop at discount grocery stores especially for produce. I can find strawberries for under $3 per lb. Yesterday I went shopping and found celery for .79 and cherry tomatos for .59 and a bag of apples for $2.89. Now if I can find almond butter for less than $9.
  • ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I regularly eat huge dinner plates of broccoli or brussel sprouts!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Your only mistake was buying them out of season. :) In the summer they can be quite cheap.
  • amberpitz
    amberpitz Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I wonder how much sugar is in a pound of strawberries...
    ._____.
    yes true but how much fat choleterol and sodium etc is in a burger :)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I regularly eat huge dinner plates of broccoli or brussel sprouts!

Omg, I do this too! Sometimes it's all I have for dinner because I'm so full! lol.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Buy local. Check out co-ops or a farmers market. Or if you'd rather not go that route, check out bulk stores. Costco has the 4 lb clamshells on sale for $4.99. I've just been buying them frozen b/c it's too hard to find organic strawberries this time of year. Wish I could suck it up and buy the conventional ones b/c $4.99 for 4 pounds is CHEAP.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of healthy, tasty foods that you could have eaten instead of strawberries. Strawberries are not in season now and will be much cheaper in the summer. For now, you may want to stick to apples and oranges for fruit, maybe add a few berries to a fruit salad instead of eating a whole pound by itself. Or get some frozen berries. But in the long run... if that was the best choice today, it was the best choice. Don't sweat it.
  • appelsiinipuu
    appelsiinipuu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I wish I only had to pay $4 for a pound of strawberries... I pay that for half a pound of them! And the strawberries are local! sigh. Food is so expensive in australia... just like everything else.
  • Tetonia
    Tetonia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    who buys just one item off the dollar menu at McDonalds?