I just ate an entire pound of strawberries.

Options

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    when you consider the satiety level of such choices, your $4/lb is way better spent.

have you weighed a $1 fast food snack? you might be surprised to find that it's probably not all that far off from your strawberries.

and strawberries are currently 5 months out of season (maybe a little less in temperate california) unless you live in south america where they're probably just going out of season. so $4 for strawberries in february isn't that big of a price tag, you know? they have to be flown in from somewhere.

so consider yourself lucky! :D
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I got 2 pints of strawberries for $5 last week, and hell yea I'd rather spend that $5 on fruit than on garbage food any day. In the long run it's better for your body, you'll feel better, so it's worth spending a little more in most cases.
  • waterpanda
    Options
    Yeah I paid $4 for a pound of strawberries . I couldn't control myself at the grocery store, I could smell them from like 3 ft away loll. I live in Maryland, which I guess is why they're so expensive here, when I was in California produce was MUCH cheaper *homesick*
  • Bobanji
    Bobanji Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    One time I picked up a bag of apples and didn't realize they were ORGANIC until I got home and looked at my receipt. I ended up paying about $12us for the bag of apples. At $12 a bag, they really didn't taste that good. Maybe its cause I was a little vexed about how much I paid. LOL
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Now you should go and fertilize Smackdolanlds garden. :laugh:
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Lol. And what do you get for your 'value' price of $1? A ton of fat, cholesterol, and sodium, and a lack of any vitamins whatsoever. Not to mention increased doctor bills when all that garbage eating catches up to you.

Not going to lie, it is hard to beat the $2 McDonald's special (a McDouble and McChicken, $2 for around 800 calories) on a calories per dollar basis.

What did you get for your $4 though? Fiber. Tons of Vitamin C. Water. Some Folate and some Potassium.

I will second what others are saying though. Buy in season, and if possible, buy in bulk.
  • amberpitz
    amberpitz Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    you can always start growing your own this year and freeze them...thats what I do...so I have fresh in season and frozen out of season
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Around 2 bucks a pound here....i eat four pounds a week:)
  • kmk_natasha
    Options
    Eating a pound of anything isn't a snack.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Lucky for me I live in Nh where we grow a ton of apples so they tend to be cheap but avacodos and mango are things I love but they are pricey.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    are there any other foods that are healthy but people don't eat more often because of economic concerns?

Raspberries & Pomegranate Juice are two items that I LOVE but have to eat in moderation more for financial concerns than caloric concerns (thought Pomegranate juice is pretty high in calories & carbs).
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options

totally not true!
  • waterpanda
    Options
    you can always start growing your own this year and freeze them...thats what I do...so I have fresh in season and frozen out of season

ahh good idea. do you grow from seed or do you buy baby strawberry plants? When I lived in Cali I tried growing strawberries but never got good yield D:
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Oh I do now a diet coke or a side salad. Never both. I wonder why. Lol. I would die before I eat anything g else from mcdonalds. I only eat the lettuce and tomatoes and use my own dressing. I know the food wont kill me. But just in case why take any chances.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a pound of sun-warmed wild strawberries right now, the small ones that are so much better than the kind from the grocery store. Dat taste, so good :tongue:
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    A pound of strawberries is considerably more food by mass than a thin *kitten* burger from the McDonald's dollar menu and contains more nutrients than one as well.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    You spent $4 on a pound of strawberries? Of course produce is expensive out of season, they have to ship it from timbuktu.
    or California.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    try switching to seasonal fruits and veggies...it sucks not having delicious berries for a decent price until summer but you can get grapefruits, clementines, mandarins and several other fruits on great sales right now
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options

I disagree. I'm pretty sure that 144 calories IS a snack.