One day detox?

Options
Anyone know a good one day detox?

I ate horrible this week. I mean horrible. Fatty, salty, processed foods. I feel horrible and gained 3.5 pounds in a week. -.-

I'm looking for a one day detox to get back on track. I feel my body needs it.

Suggestions?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    You could fast. Just drink water for 24 hours. It doesn't have to be one calendar day, you could do 6pm to 6pm the next day or something like that.
  • savbentley
    Options
    You're just retaining water weight, it's highly unlikely you actually gained even a pound of real fat in a week. So don't worry too much. The best thing you can do is just try to focus on upping your vegetables/fruit servings throughout the day, making sure you're sticking to whole grains, keeping the sodium to a manumit, and water water water! You'll see that weight come back down rather quickly. :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Your body does not need a detox- they don't do anything except empty out your colon and disrupt your gut bacteria and electrolyte balances anyway. You need to just start eating healthy foods, and concentrate on getting enough potassium to balance out the sodium that's causing you to retain water.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Your body does not need a detox- they don't do anything except empty out your colon and disrupt your gut bacteria and electrolyte balances anyway. You need to just start eating healthy foods, and concentrate on getting enough potassium to balance out the sodium that's causing you to retain water.

^^yep
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

^^yep

X3
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

^^yep
    ^ This.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I always detox by pooping. I suggest trying for a big BM.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^^yep
    ^ This.

QFT
  • msangela1215
    Options
    does taking potassium help to elimante water retention i retain a lot of water often?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    does taking potassium help to elimante water retention i retain a lot of water often?

It balances out the sodium.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Yes, sodium/potassium balance is critical in managing water retention. It's much more effective than drinking tons and tons of extra water.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Its called a 20hour fast.
    Just drink water.
    Stay busy then eat 1000cal dinner and call it a day.
    But you must make sure you are eating about 2k every other day.
    Its amazing how it works!

If you want a daily detox, drink 1gallon of water a day and eat just below TDEE.
    Youll lose fat!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I agree with what has already been posted. Eat some nutrient dense food and drink a good amount of water and you will be back on track.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Its called a 20hour fast.
    Just drink water.
    Stay busy then eat 1000cal dinner and call it a day.
    But you must make sure you are eating about 2k every other day.
    Its amazing how it works!

If you want a daily detox, drink 1gallon of water a day and eat just below TDEE.
    Youll lose fat!

Fasts that long are often not a good thing for women who are more sensitive to hormonal imbalances. It's one reason Martin recommends a shorter window for women on leangains.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I just figure its healthier than any fad detox program.
    Give the body a break from everything except cleaning out the liver.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I just figure its healthier than any fad detox program.
    Give the body a break from everything except cleaning out the liver.

Better would be eating at a reasonable caloric deficit and getting a decent amount of potassium as MoreBean suggested.
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110403090259.htm

I researched a lot before doing a juice fast and I discovered that, while there is no health benefit to long term fasting of any kind, there is science behind a 24-hour water fast. See the link above.

The easiest way to do it is to start after lunch so you only skip dinner the first day and breakfast and lunch the next. You can eat at any time after the 24 hours are up, so you can have an early dinner. It's good to do it once a month or less according to the research.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad about gaining 3.5 lbs in a week. I just gained 2.5 lbs during the time the Superbowl was on. :bigsmile:

If you do want to do a day cleanse/ detox, liquid days are usually the best (not talking about soda of course.) Water, fresh squeezed juices, unsweetened tea, natural lemonade/ lemon water - those are the best! (Good if you want to stop a cold too.)
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Don't feel bad about gaining 3.5 lbs in a week. I just gained 2.5 lbs during the time the Superbowl was on. :bigsmile:

If you do want to do a day cleanse/ detox, liquid days are usually the best (not talking about soda of course.) Water, fresh squeezed juices, unsweetened tea, natural lemonade/ lemon water - those are the best! (Good if you want to stop a cold too.)

What would drinking liquids for a day do?