Healthy food expensive

Options
13»

Replies

• lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am finding that I actually spend much less at the grocery store since I have started my program. I used to buy way more food than I needed because that's how my "inner fat girl" thinks. I purged all my cupboards and pantry and do not have anything in the house that I can't enjoy totally guilt-free. My concentration is on my nutrition so I buy only what I need for the week. If I do allow myself a treat I buy it only when I am going to have it preferably one serving and no take home extras. I cook from scratch a majoirty of the time and do take advantage of some single serving items like salads, and pre-portioned chicken or fish. I work full-time and need to be on schedule to make my workout times. It is totally do-able and I have adapted my meals and prep so I can have a healthy meal on the table within 30 minutes or less. I do cook ahead but not often-I prefer freshly made meals to leftovers but have made soups or chili that I portion out in single servings for freezing or reheating later if I'm pressed for time. I always have a "go to" meal that I can have when life interferes with my schedule.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Healthy food is more expensive. I never really thought about it because I have never been a fast food/junk food junkie, but I see now just how much more fresh fruits and vegetables cost, let alone gluten-free and organic.

I paid $4 for a whole pineapple, $6 for a tub of baby spinach and $4 for organic soba noodles at Whole Foods the other day. While $14 isn't much, you can feed yourself and a few kids off the Dollar Menu at McDonald's for $10 and here I only have pineapple, spinach, and soba noodles.

This is also something I wonder about. Exactly how are poor people suppose to afford healthy food?

Maybe don't shop at the most overpriced grocery chain in the country? I live in the most expensive city in the US and I don't think I've ever paid more than $2.50 for a pineapple.
  • cazzer69
    cazzer69 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Meat Market - spent $50.88
    2 chuck roasts (approximately 3 pounds each)
    3 pounds of bratwursts
    2 pounds of ground chuck
    sirloin steak (just over a pound)
    3 whole chickens cut up
    1 pound of italian sausage
    2 thick cut pork steaks
    2 pounds of bacon
    12 oz bag of coffee beans

Put this into perspective though, where I live, buying meat from the market, that lot would cost over $130.00 on its own.