Shakeology

Options
2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Why use something that is overpriced and a gimmick? Just eat healthy and, if you need a meal replacement when you're too busy, grab a normal protein shake and a piece of fruit.

^Excellent advice.

There is no "magic" in the shakes - they simply create a calorie deficit. You can do that with regular food.

Yeah, yeah, I know...this is coming from a BB coach...so take this as you wish...but it's not a gimmick. You CAN use it for a meal replacement, but I use it is a post workout shake or a snack. I was a big skeptic for a long time...Mary Kay/Avon/Mona Vie...any stuff like that I steered clear from....but after seeing the BB headquarters and actually seeing the energy/pride/work they put into their products I checked it out. It (knock on wood) has kept me healthy this cold/flu season. It gets in a munch of foods/vitamins I would probably be lacking/keeps energy up/cravings low/ and has a good carb/protein balance for after a workout. It's expensive. That absolutely true. I really enjoy though..reap the benefits....and whether one thinks it's silly or overpriced...I get it..but it's not a gimmick. BB is the real deal and they really care about their products. Says the BB coach...I know...I know....

Look, I love beachbody products as I have a ton, but none of their nutritional supplements will provide you any greater results than a normal diet packed with healhty food. Not only do I hit all my macro's, I hit all my micronutrients (this is with healthy lean meats, veggies, fruits and some grains/nuts/). It's not to say shakeology isn't a good product, it's just unnecessary. I find it difficult to pay $100 for a protein shake, which I can buy something for a 9th of the price and still get the benefits.

I guarantee you that if you maintained calories, and eat plenty of fruits, veggies and lean meats/fish, etc.. you will see the same amount of energy. If you don't, you might have a vitamin deficit. Also, there isn't one study that would suggest BB products are anyway better than another. It would cost too much and show nothing. Heck, even the post workout anabolic window is up for debate but we can leave that for another thread like the one below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872189-alan-aragon-and-brad-schoenfeld-on-nutrient-timing

On a side note, I do love the taste of shakeology, just not worth the price.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I refuse, REFUSE to buy snakeoil.

Shakeology
    Body By Vi
    IT Works
    SlimFast
    MegaSuper Green Tea Acai Poopberry Smoothies with extra Fat Burner Awesome Sauce

Snakeoil. The lot of it.
    Shakeology and Slimfast just can NOT be put in the same category. I've had two friends take the ingredients of Shakeology to their very SKEPTICAL nutritionists. Both were impressed and actually were interested in samples. Slimfast is sugary, grocery store crap with none of the health benefits. If people think Shakeology is over priced and not worth it to them....cool...I get it....but it is NOT in the same line as Shakeology. Get information first.

And the sales pitch begins . . .

Torn between two lovers, feelin' like a fool
    Lovin' both of you is breakin' all the rules

Sun, she's been on my FL for a long time and is not a BB pusher (if she was, she wouldn't be on my FL). She found something that works for her. Personally I don't think that Shakeology is worth the price because you can get the same benefits for less from alternative products that taste better and don't cost as much. I think it's seriously lacking in protein for my needs, blah, blah, blah. However, no matter how you look at it you have to admit that Slim Fast is to Shakeology like lemonheads are to lemons.

Slice it any way you like, but that looks like a sales pitch to me.
  • Jenibynes
    Jenibynes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Y'know, it seems that no matter what someone says who uses Shakeology and likes it (or in my case, loves it) there are people who will slam us and say things like "and the sales pitch begins". I have used other shakes. If you feel that another shake works for you, then post it here. Please don't attack another person for having a different opinion than you do. I really liked the EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control shakes, but I wasn't getting the same nutritional punch that I get now. I was paying $2 a day for EAS and now I pay $3 a day. It's not that big a difference for me and I feel like I'm getting better results with it. I don't want anyone to buy ANYTHING from me. I have an opinion and I wanted to express it here. IMHO, the shake I drink it worth it. I would never ever ever drink SlimFast. It's garbage. This is not an opinion, it's a fact. Read the ingredient list. It's junk. Read the shakeology ingredient list... or read the EAS nutrition list. BOTH of those are better than SlimFast!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    What one should look at is whether or not they plan to use shakeology the rest of their life since weight loss and maintenance is more about a total lifestyle change. ANY program that offers a good calorie deficit will work if one sticks to it. What one has to look out for is a program they KNOW they can do for life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It has a fairly decent nutritional profile for what is essentially a "convenience" food.

Having said that if you have to depend on convenience food it may be time to take a close look at why that may be....
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    gazelle-eating-popcorn.gif

Low fat butter, of course
  • renee_72
    Options
    i never tried it and not planning too. i look at this way, sure it will work for a minute. BUT once you stop, you will gain the weight back plus more. losing weight is great and all. but ask your self are you going to drink that stuff the rest of your life, just to staying skinny? eat food eat healthy food. and you dont have to worry about it.