Eating at TDEE-20% question

Options
12346»

Replies

• SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You said you do 30 minute workout 6 days a week? How vigorous is the workout? What is it comprised of?

HRM data is only accurate for steady state cardio, otherwise the calorie burns predicted will be too high.

If I were you I would use TDEE-20% using a moderate activity level, and not eat back your exercise calories. This calculation already figures days in the week without exercise so you do not have to modify your food intake for the days you do not exercise. You seem to be very caught up in the day to day numbers when really this is calculated by weekly averages.

Also, do not count cleaning as exercise unless you are extremely out of shape or you are sprinting around your house with an elevated heart rate and you are out of breath.
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You might be over thinking your approach...set a daily calorie amount, don't change it...let your body adapt to it, then lower it if your not losing....Try not to stress yourself out...that could be an issue and sleep is very important...good luck and I hope you succeed
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Hi Doubleduofa

I was talking about the amounts of 1500 cals during the week and 2100 at weekends as total calories to eat, not with eating my exercise calories on top of that.

Up until now, over the past few weeks I've been eating 1500 net plus my exercise calories on top and haven't lost any weight. I was very conscious of not eating below my BMR and as someone quite rightly pointed out I may have actually been eating at TDEE hence why I could not lose weight as most days I ate between 1850-2100 cals so not enough to notice any change in weight.

Now I've had a re-think thanks to some people who have helped me on here and I think that in order to create a deficit big enough to lose 1 lb per week I need to eat 3500 less than my TDEE per week. If I work on a TDEE figure of 2100 and calculate my total weekly cals, subtract 3500 to lose 1 lb and then divide that up over 7 days I end up with 1600 cals per day, however for me I'd rather eat less during the week (say 1400) and have the extra cals at weekends up to 2100. I think that's doable for me, except for the fact that I'm trying to eat more protein and I'm not sure whether in can get all the protein I need in just 1400 cals so maybe I'll make those days lower carb days too.

Thinkagain2014 I can see where you're coming from and I'm not sure what your TDEE is or TDEE -20% but for me it would not create enough of a deficit for me to be able to lose 1 lbs per week. I need to make it a little more than that. Unfortunately at my size, it's hard to shift the weight so quickly because there is not really that big a difference between my BMR and TDEE.

My only concern with all this is that with all the exercise I'll be doing (and the burn for me is more like 350-650 so not as high as you) I don't want to be netting too low a figure and send my body into starvation mode but that's another problem to tackle if this doesn't work I guess!
  • JAT74
    Options
    Sorry I didn't see the other replies when I wrote my last message. I know everyone thinks I'm overthinking it but I really think if I'm going to succeed I need to overthink it! I know that in the past I've given up on things like this because I haven't got involved enough in them to follow them through but this way I am hyper aware fo what I'm eating and on what days and I think I can keep on the straight and narrow like that. Plus I know it will be an impossibility for me to try and stick to one calorie level every day as some days I eat out and I don't want to be miserable when I do because I know I can't go over 1600 calories. At least when I'm home if I have 1400 cals it won't be a hardship to do it and then at the weekends I can have something to look forward to, like a kind of cheat day even though I will be sticking within my calorie limits and trying to eat within my macros.

Regarding my exercise, it's actually unrealistic to say I do 30 mins exercise 6 days per week as in reality I've been doing 70 plus mins exercise at least 4 days a week and around 40 minutes on the other 3 days. I also wear a heart rate monitor when I'm working out and I have been logging cleaning as I live in a house with loads of stairs and have found that when moving around the house very quickly with a vacuum cleaner in hand I get an elevated heart rate up to as much as 150! Plus I used a heart rate monitor when I've been doing cleaning like that plus mopping and my heart rate has been up a lot higher than just normal daily activity which never gets it above 115 or so.
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    No need to log your cleaning....just consider it a bonus for those weekend drinks
  • JAT74
    Options
    Should I still log any of my workouts anyway if I am going to be eating the same amount every weekday and a higher amount every weekend? It would still be useful to know how much I'm burning and if I lose more or less weight depending on what workouts I've done that week.

I suppose I could ignore the extra cals MFP gives me if I set my net amount to 1400 and then eat 2100 at weekends and ignore the fact it's telling me I'm in the red!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Why are you still thinking you "can't eat more than 1600"? That is nonsense. If you aim for something reasonable based on your TDEE estimates, you could eat as much as 1700 or 1800 every day and lose weight. Now, if on some weekdays maybe you eat 1500 or 1600, and you try to control yourself on weekends, this will even out in the end.
  • JAT74
    Options
    You're possibly right but I still need to create a 3500 calorie deficit in order to lose 1 lb per week. Therefore I'd rather start off lower during the week because I don't want to find that I eat 1600 or 1700 each weekday and then at the weekends when I calculate my meal out plus drinks and the rest of my food for the day I have gone way over what I should be eating and I've prevented myself from losing anything that week.

I'm just trying to be realistic about it. During the week I'm at home most days doing nothing, sitting around so I don't feel the need to eat that much so 1450 is plenty on those days. Even if I eat out for lunch during the week it's fairly low calorie so it's the sensible thing to do knowing that at weekends I will eat and drink more naturally.

If I find I'm losing more than 1lb per week I can always increase the amounts I'm eating during the week by 50 or 100 cals per day.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Aim to lose 0.5 pounds a week - slow and steady wins the race.
  • danelledawnc
    danelledawnc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I, too, use a heart rate monitor, which is part of my bicycling, hiking, running "watch/computer." And, when I dock it on to my laptop and import to the program it is locked with, it is easily shows 500+ calories burned in 1 hour. AND that includes riding at a speed anywhere from 12-16 miles per hour on my bike. To whomever said it is not possible to get 500 calories burned, just wants to rain on your parade. Everything I have read has indicated that using HR for calories burned is more accurate than anything else you can do. If you have a consistent higher heart rate, your are burning more energy. Period. That being said, if you got your heart in tip top shape (like from doing interval training, like P.A.C.E.), your maximum heart rate *could* be higher than the standard 220 minus age=MHR - the most important part of interval training is the length of time it takes your heart to recover to the "recovery HR." Example, I can max out my HR at 195 at a sprint for 1 min, currently it takes my HR to get lower than 125 about 1 min and 30 sec. The faster you can get your heart rate down, the faster your recovery, the healthier your heart; or how it is read through the P.A.C.E. program (by Dr. Al Sears). I did sprints last night for only 20 minutes, my HRM calculated 614 kcals burned, had to minus about 70 cals for regular expenditures, which still left me above 500 cals burned. When you create an "Oxygen deficit" through sprinting, you are making your heart work that much harder, so yes, it is possible to burn that many calories in 1 work out session.