Sad News

2»

Replies

• Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    I did a lot of running. It is very difficult to eat and run at the same time. Train for a marathon to raise funds to find a cure. That way you can save yourself from food and save another familt from the pain you are going through.

I am sorry for your loss; I understand the difficulty you're going through. I like what was said about running (or any activity; weights, elliptical, biking, swimming, writing, drawing, photography, etc.); find something to do that doesn't include eating, pre-plan your meals as best you can, and give yourself permission to be slightly off goal for a few weeks.
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Emotional pain is one that many of us seek to soothe with food. I agree with the others that vigorous physical activity is one of the better choices. If you go running or walking and choose a route that is isolated enough that you don't see too many people on it, you can grieve along the way, if that's what you feel like doing. You can pound the grief into the ground with your feet, relieving your body of it and increasing your strength, stamina and calorie-burning at the same time.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    I was the opposite, couldn't eat enough. It is very easy to get wrapped up in the grief and push all/everyone else aside. Make sure you DO eat and with that, healthy food.

Walking helped, especially on pretty forest paths or along a serene river. Helps keep your mind clear, and offers good chance to talk with other family.

If you are an emotional eater and tend to heads towards the junk food, then try to keep it away as best possible.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    As you go through this tough time, maybe make some "healthy" comfort food for your wife and in-law family. While I'm sure there is a lot of food coming in to the family, you could maybe help contribute to or organize meals. By having a project you are going to be at least temporarily distracted from the grief, and it can be overwhelming to be in the middle of such sadness.

Look up some soup or roast recipes on cooking light. I'm sure your wife is still in shock, and even something so small can be really helpful. Remember to take it one day at a time, thoughts and prayers to you and yours.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    So very sorry.

Try to mentally tell yourself that you do not deal with stress by eating but by exercising (or even just walking). Invite those who are suffering to walk with you, it will be good for them, too.

Offer to play with the daughter while others are eating. This keeps you away from the food and allows your sil some down time.

I love the idea of finding a marathon that is a cure for the cause.

Moderation! Eat a little of your aunts favorite potato salad, but not a full scoop. Think 1 TBS of many things and then load up on the veggies.

The best way for you to serve your wife and family is to remain in top form. Indulging in comfort foods and sweets will put you out of form, so eat as pure as possible, if not for yourself, but for them. Love can do all things!!

(hugs)

D
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    I am sorry for your loss. I lost my Mom in August due to cancer, she battled it for 11 years and it spread everywheres...so very sorry to hear.

I go the other way, I shut down and don't eat, which isn't good either. I lost about 10lbs when my hubby was diagnosed with cancer 6 years ago, but when he was doing really good, I gained it back plus some because i wasn't thinking of working out or eating right as a priority, taking care of him was...so I gained over 40lbs...not cool!

Then I realized that life still needs to go on and I need to take of my self too..so I started again, (after 5 years)

I wish you well, and again, sorry..
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    So sorry for you and your family & my prayers go out to you., I know this may be very hard to do but try to get everyone to think this way: you HAVE to eat well and take good care of yourself more than ever. Your body is under a great deal of stress from the sorrow & grief, it needs to be well nourished to make it through. It's no accident that people are more vulnerable to illness during difficult times. Nourish your body, sleep & rest, exercise (a walk every day will do) will help you physically.

Prayers for you & yours.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    I really am sorry for your loss. That takes a huge toll on you, your family, and extended family. I don't think every little thing in life that happens is a good reason to take a break from calorie counting, but extreme situations like this are times when I do think the added stress of this kind of life changing event (weight loss is), combined with the stress of a major life changing event like death of a loved one can be too overwhelming. I'd pick an amount of time - 3 days, 1 week, whatever you think makes sense given the services, visitation, extra help to the family, whatever events are happening during the time, and take those days as a break from calorie counting. That doesn't mean you have to eat everything in site, you can still be mindful of portion sizes and make some extra effort to get some fruits and veggies in along with the comfort food, and when your time is up to come back, you just do it.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    My nephew passed suddenly a few years ago and I know just what you mean. Much of the service planning fell to me and for about 10 days there was just no time and convinence was king. We went to diners a lot and ate omlettes, lots of coffee and fruit as it makes you feel full, kills sweet cravings and won't do you any damage long term. I didn't like quiet activities because whenever I had a moment to think, I was an emotional wreck so I kept music on and just tried to stay busy and occupied.
  • My heart goes out to you because I can honest relate to your pain and sorrow of losing a love one. When it happen to me with my fiancee, I posted (my private feelings for the first time) on facebook....looking and seeking answers. My church family and friends did help me to get through it. Being a emotional eater myself, it was hard not to fall into that pattern in stressful situations, I now recognize it....and you are ahead of me because you are more aware now and are seeing advice. Good Luck to You.
  • thegreatestlove
    thegreatestlove Posts: 63 Member
    Like you stated, it is times like these that we often find comfort in food, especially those that are high in calories and fat, and low in nutritional value. I have had times like this and I know how easy it is to fall back into old habits. For me, I had to learn to avoid food in times of dispair. Instead, I picked up habits like walking or if you feel up to it, some other form of exercise. Doing this will give you time to think and will get you away from the food. Stay strong during this time and I hope you are able to make it through this soon.

Tasha
  • ItsVJ
    ItsVJ Posts: 107 Member
    My 14-year-old son just had spinal fusion surgery last week, and I predicted that I would eat myself into a frenzy from stress and worry. However, I actually lost weight! Not only did I eat much less than usual, I found that my nutritional intake was the one thing that I had control over. I couldn't control what was happening to him, but could control what I ate, logging my calories and making sure I got in SOME kind of activity (even if it was only a quick walk around the hospital grounds).

Also, logging my calories and thinking about making good food choices was a welcome distraction, and comforting during a very stressful period.

Good luck, and my sympathies to your family.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Eat what you want for a day or two. There wont be enough of a weight gain (if any) to even warrant the worry.

My condolences.