Options

Replies

• Liliansamata
    Liliansamata Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answer.
  • TMD1033
    Options
    Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder - Vanilla.
    2 scoops, 0.5 cup frozen berries, 1.5 cups milk, and 4 ice cubes make a great shake.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Without sounding daft. Is protein powder a meal replacement?

Depends on how you use it (I mean if you are using it to replace a meal-then of course it is meal replacement), but no in the traditional sense a meal replacement is a balance of macros, protein powder is pretty much just protein. Protein powders a a supplemental "food" product.
  • erinsueburns
    Options
    So far...the Sam's Club Simply Right Vanilla. About 20 bucks for a 4lb bag, nice and smooth it mixes well and for lack of any better description, it is fairly bland so it adds well to other things. I even made a rather credible no bake cheesecake with it.
    I use this and mix it with yoplait smoothie mix for breakfast. I like it and fairly inexpensive.

Mostly I use it in my coffee (I do cold brewed coffee) in place of creamers. I also add greek yogurt.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just started my 90 day challenge using Body By Vi! I've tried a bunch of different protien mixes: off-brand, EAS, Shakeology, APEX etc. But they either tasted gross, were super expensive, or I didn't see results.

Body By Vi is a GREAT shake mix that has a tri-blend of protein that specifically helps with weight loss - it's by far the best tasting mix I've ever had - and it only costs $1.67! I can't even eat crap that cheap :)

Best yet, it's supported with a 90-day money back results guarentee!!

Sorry I'm going on and on, it just really makes sense for my life and I'm excited to pass on the love to others..nothing more :)

There are tons of protein powders that are even cheaper than that and taste just as good or better, IMO.

I use body fortress, EAS and GNC Opt Nutrition.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Blubonnet Whey Protein Isolate (in chocolate)
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Six Star Excellence (Muscletech) Triple Chocolate, you literally get no gritty flavor in smoothies or in the pancakes I make from it! It's delicious!

I am however trying to find Syntrax Nectar as I keep hearing how it tastes like juice and can be plainly mixed with water. They also have a non-flavored version as well. Wish the stores here had it although one store I went to was looking at adding it to their inventory after I came asking. Aparently since they opened 6 months or so ago I was not the first to ask about it and other stores in the city previously carried it.
  • skyline2055
    skyline2055 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i think it's safe to say no protein powder won in this thread . every single person liked a different powder lol
  • giglqueen
    giglqueen Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use the MRM All Natural 100% Whey Rich Vanilla. It's very low in sugar and fat and tastes delicious. You can buy it online, at a health food store (Sprouts is where I bought mine), or I just saw it at Ralphs this weekend on sale. I make it with Silk Light Soy Milk, frozen strawberries and half a banana.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...Body By Vi is a GREAT shake mix that has a tri-blend of protein that specifically helps with weight loss...
    Pure buzzword-driven, MLM marketing hype BS. I'm still waiting for a BBV salesperson to post a peer-reviewed scientific study showing that BBV's magical "tri-sorb" protein is in some way different from/superior to any other type of protein.

Protein is a macronutrient. It helps with weight loss in the sense that adequate intake (while maintaining an overall caloric deficit) helps preserve lean body mass while losing fat. There is nothing magical about BBV's protein which "specifically helps with weight loss" any more so than any other protein product used within the same context. Such a claim is disingenuous, untruthful and deceptive.

As for an answer to the OP, I've tried/used the following protein powders (note the conspicuous absence of MLM scams):

Optimum Nutrition (3 varieties)
    Body Fortress (2 varieties)
    Six Star
    Jay Robb (2 varieties)

All of them tasted more or less the same to me - not ultimately delicious, but none of them were bad (I just mix my protein shakes with water - no other add-ins). All had somewhere around 25-30g protein per scoop, with minimal carbs/fat. I'm currently sticking with Optimum Nutrition as my "go-to".
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    BSN's Lean Dessert and BSN's Syntha-6. The absolute best tasting protein powders on the market. No chalky taste, and delicious when made with just water and ice.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Dynamize
  • LaurenVamp
    LaurenVamp Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mkookies
    mkookies Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Holy crap - I didn't realize there were so many protein powders out there. XD

To make mine into a "meal" I like to use a scoop of President's Choice Whey Protein Isolate (unflavoured) with two handfuls of baby spinach, half a cup of frozen fruit (like mangoes or pineapple), half a frozen banana, a few sprigs of parsley, a generous grating of ginger (that I keep in the freezer), a squeeze of lemon juice (to brighten up the flavours), a spoon of ground flax seed and a few spoonfuls of greek yogurt. Then I add water or something like that and whiz it up in the blender. It's a bright green colour! I drink it out of a mason jar with a big bubble tea straw. :P
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    True Athlete from the Vitamin Shoppe. 120 calories, 20 grams protein in 2 scoops. Cost around $20.
  • erinsueburns
    Options
    I didn't mention, I've tried Jay Robb whey chocolate and vanilla, and egg chocolate and vanilla. They were ok, tasted perhaps a touch better, but didn't mix as well, and for a much larger price per gram of protein compared to the simply right, just wasn't worth it for general use. If I see it on sale at HEB I'll pick some up, but otherwise it's not my go to. Jay Robbs winning product as far as I'm concerned is the cashew coconut bar which is delicious.

Designer whet sent me a sample of white chocolate, so il be trying that out in a week or so. I'm going contact more manufactures to see about samples.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I like Trader Joe's chocolate whey protein. It does have a little sugar, and it's got added vitamins/minerals. But it tastes delicious mixed with almond milk, and I even add hot water to it and drink it like hot chocolate. Blends really easily.
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    I've only tried 3 different kinds. I'm afraid to experiment too much because I'm stuck with whatever I get for at least 2 weeks. Anyways, my favorite I've tried is Body Fortress' Cookies 'N Creme. It doesn't taste like cookies and cream; it tastes like Mounds, which is great if you love coconut like me. I mix it with almond milk, so it actually tastes like Almond Joy. lol
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Love and Peas.
  • dukesangel
    dukesangel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love Jarrow Formula the vanilla and chocolate. Neither one are really sweet, which is what I hated about other protein powders. And I love the containers they come in... I can use them for everything lol