Options
    Feel free to add me I will try to encourage you when you are struggling
  • Schmoopy221
    Schmoopy221 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :))
  • lisatomko1
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have a LONG journey ahead...we can work on it together.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    The good news is you don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better.

1) tracking for a couple of weeks before I worried about losing.
    (although seeing what I was eating I couldn't help but rein back a bit)

2) seeing where I could make small changes on things that weren't that important to me.
    (Don't even think of taking chocolate out of my diet!!!)
    --Reducing quantities where I won't notice it so much
    --Swapping out things instead of eliminating them.

3) Look at my diary and started adding foods that had positive healthy effects specifically for the health issue in my family.
    I found most of the things I "should" add were really yummy too! salmon, avocado, oatmeal, mango, red grapes....
    (Sort of think of food as medicine to deal with family history of various health issue oatmeal is good for heart health, mango and red grapes lower cholesterol, tumeric and cinnamon good for arthritis)

4) every couple of weeks I see where I can make another couple of small changes.
    If you completely revamp your diet, it's way easy to revert to old ways in times of stress. (and who doesn't have stress?)
    If you make a series of small changes, food still offers you some sense of comfort.
    sort of a comfort continuum, and after a while the first small changes will seem comforting in themselves.
    You don't have to be perfect you just have to do better.

5) also rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me. (I swear this saved my life.) I was happier once I gave myself a range:

ROCK BOTTOM: 1200 cal
    TARGET: MFP Calories for lose 1 lb a week (when that hit 1200 I changed to lose 1/2 lb per week)
    TOP OF RANGE: Maintain Calories for my GOAL Weight.
    (SAFETY VALVE: Maintain Calories for CURRENT Weight - remember to keep updating this number as you lose)

I naturally tended to do 2-4 days between 1200-1300 cal then a day at about 1500-1600 cal then back to the 1200-1300 cal. (No hard science here, but I credit the zig-zagging calories with preventing plateaus.)

--As long as I stayed under the top of my range I should continue to lose, even if it is at a slower rate.
    --As long as I don't go past my safety valve I shouldn't gain.

6) I only worry about it 1 lb at a time.
    Forget I *NEED* to lose 20, 30, 50, 100 lbs. I'm only worried about 1 lb the next one. I'll worry about the others later.
    Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. (It's what worked for me some people need the stress to get them motivated. Me I get scared and overwhelmed and don't see the big goal as achievable. )

7)
    The closer I got to my goal the smaller I made my deficit. Yes, this took longer to get to my goal, but I was focusing on (am STILL tweaking) strategies for maintenance. What I found difficult (and haven't yet conquered) it establishing a guideline for a range for maintenance, being that I'm not really good at hitting the same number everyday.

Food is not the enemy.

Oddly enough on my journey here I've reduced guilt over food.
    I have the occasional treat and I fully enjoy it with no guilt involved.
    The thing is since I'm not eating crap all the time, now the occasional treat is just that a TREAT it's special and I enjoy it so much more than when I was unconsciously shovel junk food into my face.

I figure if I've got a good plan that I can actually maintain I can keep this off for a long time to come, without feeling deprived.

Good Luck
  • megb1107
    Options
    I just started too, so add me!
  • stephhunt1975
    stephhunt1975 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would love it if you added me. I've been on this site and exercising since Jan. 2, 2013 and have lost 20 lbs. so far. You can do it!
  • duckydoom
    duckydoom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You can do it - I'm having a moment right now where I'm incredibly frustrated, but I know I can do it if I perservere... I've already lost 30 lbs that I never thought I'd be able to shed, but between hormones and fatigue I'm feeling tantrum-y that I'm at a plateau, lol. Feel free to add me if you'd like - I always love having new buddies around :)
  • BAFischl
    BAFischl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can't fail as long as you are trying! :) Add me!
  • ppshaffer
    ppshaffer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Major accomplishment!!!!
    Add Me
  • marylowery2
    marylowery2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It is a very scary thing to start. I downloaded this app in october. It took me until last week to finally feel determined enough to utlize it. It has been worth every bit of effort I have spent on counting the calories.
  • MariaHammer750
    MariaHammer750 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    This site is a great tool. Feel free to add me. I'd be glad to help any way that I can. Good luck to you.
  • Becca_Reb
    Options
    I feel the same! Ive been on "self destruct" for years now, everytime I'm doing well, i purposely eat loads of crap so I don't fail when I've tried hard, it's my fault because I ate it. Had a big problem with takeaway but ive managed to stay away from it since January 7th, which is great as we where eating it two/three times a week !!!!:happy:

Finding this site brilliant and it's really stopping me over eating - day 2! - and helping me see where I go wrong :blushing:

We can do this together xx
  • memwa49
    memwa49 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. Please do not consider anything as failing. This is a journey and a learning experience. This is my 10th day and I am lovng it. I am transitioning from another weight loss application and find this one is simply marvelous! Sending positive thoughts your way...
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! It IS a lot of work, and worth EVERY SECOND. I find doing it all day long, when I am eating the food - it keeps it more manageable and less of a chore. If I'm short on time, I will snap a pic of my meal with my phone so I can recall it later. Just stick with it. And if you miss a meal of logging, don't worry but don't let that stop you from logging the rest. You CAN do this!
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    And feel free to add me as well! I'm a Group Fitness instructor and am near complete in my Bachelors of Nutrition Science. I am new to this site as well. I used it for a long time years ago, and just joined back up because I love the community so much! I also like tracking to keep my macros in check. Good luck! You are in the ideal place for support. :)
  • hayles333
    hayles333 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well! I've only been on the site for a few weeks, but am finding it to be an amazing tool so far! Would love to have more "friends" on here to keep each other accountable!
  • jross1006
    Options
    I am the same way. I need someone to keep me on track. Add me. We can do it !
  • themightywind
    themightywind Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. MFP is a great tool for accountability and tracking.
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hard work is what you have to do if you really want to accomplish something. If you think counting calories is too much work then you've already failed. Change you attitude about it and it will change your life.