25, 40, 50 lbs...how long does it take?

Options
Before anyone says that everyone's weight loss journey is different and can't be compared to someone else's, I'm just curious...how long did it take you to lose 25 lbs, 40lbs, 50lbs?

My goal is to lose 50lbs, and I've been dieting since January 1st (down 12 lbs so far). I know it takes time but I was just looking for comparisons...if you've lost a substantial amount of weight, how many calories do you eat, how often do you exercise and how long did it take? Pure curiosity!

Replies

• JohnDun
    JohnDun Posts: 140
    Options
    Hi
    Since the 2nd Jan I have lost 24lbs but I have stuck to the cal ****ing and visit the gym at least 6 times a week and now I am burning at least 1000 cals per trip.

So for me the 25lbs (or near enough) was 32 days. If all plans go well then should be at the 40lbs mark in about two weeks maybe three......

Buts that just me....
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    20 months to lose 78 lbs. I've been losing steadily at an average of .8 lbs. per week. I'm a slow loser.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    3 years ago I was at 185. I'm 5'8'ish and at the time was 42 years old. It took me about 6 months to lose 25 lbs, which was my goal. I tried (and am trying again) to stick to about 1200 cal per day. I aim to workout 4-5 days a week, cardio and strength. I give myself room for goodies and try not to stress out too much out over over-consumption--it happens. Unfortunately some injuries sidelined me for a while and I put some weight back on. So I'm back to it. No matter how long it takes.
  • jen350z
    Options
    I lost 35 in about 4 months. I slacked a few times but been losing pretty good.
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    Wow, you guys have accomplished some amazing numbers/progress!
  • erin4455
    Options
    20 months to lose 78 lbs. I've been losing steadily at an average of .8 lbs. per week. I'm a slow loser.

Did that frustrate you? During my last week, I was down 0.8...I'd been going along so steadily and then BAM - only down eight-tenths. I was crossing my fingers that this doesn't become my 'norm'. I'm impatient...but in the end, I'll take any loss.
  • erin4455
    Options
    I lost 35 in about 4 months. I slacked a few times but been losing pretty good.

You've lost an average 2lbs per week and that's what I'm striving for. I used to think 2lbs per week was nothing...until I tried seriously dieting. Now 2lbs per week sounds AMAZING!! :)
  • erin4455
    Options
    3 years ago I was at 185. I'm 5'8'ish and at the time was 42 years old. It took me about 6 months to lose 25 lbs, which was my goal. I tried (and am trying again) to stick to about 1200 cal per day. I aim to workout 4-5 days a week, cardio and strength. I give myself room for goodies and try not to stress out too much out over over-consumption--it happens. Unfortunately some injuries sidelined me for a while and I put some weight back on. So I'm back to it. No matter how long it takes.

I think we're on a very similar plan...been working on nearly every day and sticking with 1,200 calories. So far, that formula seems to be working :)
  • JohnDun
    JohnDun Posts: 140
    Options
    Thanks Erin,
    Just keep at it, I just try and make sure that I burn more than I eat. I just started a new job today and its on the 3rd floor so lots of steps and the car park across the street is 6 levels so I will park the car on the top floor and walk up and down the stairs as much as possible, every litte helps....

I am sure you wil achieve your goal.....
  • erin4455
    Options
    Thanks Erin,
    Just keep at it, I just try and make sure that I burn more than I eat. I just started a new job today and its on the 3rd floor so lots of steps and the car park across the street is 6 levels so I will park the car on the top floor and walk up and down the stairs as much as possible, every litte helps....

I am sure you wil achieve your goal.....

Thanks, I'll definitely keep plugging away. Good luck with that new job - I think those extra stairs are going to make a difference!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    5 months to lose 40lbs
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Did that frustrate you? During my last week, I was down 0.8...I'd been going along so steadily and then BAM - only down eight-tenths. I was crossing my fingers that this doesn't become my 'norm'. I'm impatient...but in the end, I'll take any loss.

Not really. I guess I'm not losing .8 lbs steadily. I'll have two weeks a month where I likely don't lose, and then the other two weeks I lose larger amounts. It tends to drop off in 1 to 3 lb. increments, but then skips weeks. I am hypothyroid and have PCOS so the fact that I'm losing is all that matters. Speed is irrelevant.

I aim to NET 1200 calories a day. I probably average closer to 1350 NET per day (I routinely go over LOL). But that's net, so on my workout days (I am working out about 4 times a week this winter, and it was typically 5 times a week in the warmer months), I'm routinely eating 1500 to 2400 calories (depending on the workout and day - the 2400 only happens if I do a 10+ mile run that day). I've gone down 5 sizes (soon to be 6!) and while I was healthy before, according to metrics, I'm healthIER now. I've taken up running and biking. I'm eating better, but not perfectly. And I've mostly learned portion control.

I just looked back at my spreadsheet. Results are:

25 lbs took 6 months (average 4.16 lbs. per month)
    40 lbs took 10 months (average 4 lbs. per month) This is where I started running
    50 lbs took 14 months (average 3.57 lbs. per month) This included the holidays where I gained weight
    78 lbs took 21 months (average 3.7 lbs. per month) This is where I started running long distances. This also included the holidays, but I lost this year, though only 2 lbs. over Nov. and Dec.
  • erin4455
    Options
    Omma - that's such great info - thanks for taking the time to explain. I give you tons of credit for your accomplishments! I hope I can be as successful!
  • fight_for_fit
    Options
    It took me 4 months to lose 41 lbs.
    Then again I had more weight to lose so it would come off easier than someone smaller than me. The total weight I want to lose is 94 lbs so I still have about 50 more to go.
    I would have lost more had I stuck to a stricter diet.. However I knew I couldn't keep up with a lifestyle where all I ate was salads and plain chicken. So I still ate most of the things I loved just a lot less of it. & of course I no longer eat fast food. I don't eat junk food like I use to. But I still have a chip here or there.
    I also go to the gym 6 days a week. I've always been a gym addict though so.. going to the gym was the easy part. The hard part was the food.
    Anyways Hoped that somewhat helped.
  • Em7b5
    Em7b5 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    next week i will have lost 40 lbs in exactly 3 months.
  • likerebecca
    likerebecca Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hey Erin - I seem to be on the same track as you.. Started Jan 3, and have lost 13 pounds. My daily goal is 1550, but I try to stay between 1200 and 1300 (mainly because I'm a slave to the completed entry 5 week status) - It yells at me if I eat less than 1200, and if I go close to my goal I don't like the 5 week weight I see. It's a mind game I tell you!! Anyway - I only just started exercising yesterday because (like you) I had been losing 3-4 a week, and then last week was flat.... disappointing, so I decided to kick it up a notch. I sent you a friend request, I also find that having others posts to read is a big motivator. Good Luck!
  • harmonymaxon
    harmonymaxon Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey I started January 8, 2013. I am also down only 12lbs! I am also going to the gym 5-6 days a week doing 1-2 hour workouts staying under my 1200 cal. Goal!! And I am straight up fusterated!! But the guy at the gym who is a trainer said my body's in shock right now and don't give up! I hope for my sanity I start lossing soon! I am also going to send you a friend request ;) btw my starting weight was 261:(
  • beachbound2014
    Options
    I started last March and lost 35 lbs by the end of October. Then I totally blew it over the holidays and gained 5 back by the end of December. I joined MFP last month and have lost 6lbs. I try to stay around 1200 calories per day and exercise 2-3 times a week. :smile:
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 in 11 months, and have a few to go but they seem the more difficult ones. I am an older female, so have a low daily calorie limit (i.e.1200, which I am fairly faithful to). I also exercise 4 to 6 hours a week (low-impact aerobics, step, treadmill, walking, etc. I'm in this for the lifestyle changes of eating less and moving more and recognize it as a lifelong kind of deal for me to be of normal weight. I don't norrmally eat back my exercise calories but sometimes consume a portion of them. Good luck to you!
  • whitmars106
    whitmars106 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10 lbs. in 5 weeks, possibly a few more, but Wednesday is my official weigh day. I'm allotted 1,790 calories a day. I don't always eat that much though. I always make sure I at least eat 1,200. I go to the gym 5 days a week, and am active outdoors on the weekends. I can tell differences in my body, but it's still had to fathom I've already lost 10 lbs! I think it's because this is honestly the first time I've put in 110% effort changing my eating and exercising even when I don't want to. At this rate, I should lose all that I want by October. I've heard it becomes increasingly more difficult to lose the last 10-20 lbs. though as your body is more fit and healthy, so it might take longer to lose the last bit, and who knows, I may want to lose more than that. I just picked a healthy middle weight number for my height as my goal. It sounds like you're losing at a great rate! Keep it up!!!