25, 40, 50 lbs...how long does it take?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    26 lbs in 12.7 wks. Weight loss has been consistent but dipping a bit - Nov 2.3 lb/wk, Dec 2.1 lb/wk, Jan 1.9 lb/wk. I'm expecting things to slow down at a faster rate. Have another 25 to go and would be happy if I can do it in 4 months.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    62 pounds over almost 8 years. Lol...

Yup, it's been a long one, but worth it, and I know when I reach my ultimate goal, I'll likely only waver no more than about 5 pounds.

At this point I exercise 3-4 times a week. I do more in the spring, summer and fall, though. I'm at about 1600 cals per day.

Since being on MFP I've lost 18 pounds, but I did gain 3 back since Christmas. That's just how it goes... for me anyhow.
  • sarahtaubert
    sarahtaubert Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey all I started on January 3rd of 2013 and I have lost 20 and a half pounds, I am one month in almost exactly and am looking forward to loosing a lot more. I keep my calories under 1500 a day and work out 3 times a week as well as work at a crazy on your feet all the time job.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    It's taken me almost two years to lose 24 pounds. I am taking my time and trying to learn how to do this as a lifetime thing, so I only make changes to my diet that I'm willing to keep up for the rest of my days. I enjoy beer and cheese, I've had months at a time that I didn't log or work out, but that's okay. I've never given up, I'm just taking my time and making damned sure I've changed the habits and mindsets that got me here in the first place.

So, even though you didn't want to hear it, the Journey really is different for everyone.
  • atlanticgypsy
    atlanticgypsy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I eat Paleo style.

I strength train 3x per week. and do 30-60+min of cardio 4-5x per week.

It has taken me a year to loose 85lbs. the lbs come off much slower since I got under 200lbs. took me about 7 months to loose the first 60+lbs.

18304147.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    74lbs in 8 months for me. I reached my goal in 7.5 months. I'm in maintain mode now (my choice) and eat 1700 a day...plus whatever I burn through exercise... but I don't always manage to eat that much. I can't eat so much. I workout every single day, no rest days, no cheat days with food either. From a size 22 to a size 12. 95kg down to 60. Not bad for a 37yo who up till 12 months ago had never exercised a day in her life. I run 10km each time I run, I lift weights that are far 2 heavy for what my DR allows (back injury) I dance, I zumba & I clean like a mad woman (I can build a heart rate of 180 cleaning)
  • kbrown49
    kbrown49 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think it took me about a year to lose 38 pounds, granted I fell off my diet for a couple months. I have also lost 73 pounds total. The more you lose, the harder it gets. At first I was losing weight very quickly, but now I struggle to lose. Still have about 15-20 pounds to go!
  • trey4cubs
    Options
    5 months to lose 40 pounds. Usually eat around 2200 calories with less than 75G of carbs per day. Exercise is lots of walking and heavy lifting 3x per week for around 15 minutes.
  • 1JenMilam
    1JenMilam Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    About a year and a half to lose 90 lbs. I tend to lose 8-10 pounds for two months in a row then struggle to lose 1 pound the next. Since I started cardio tae kwon do kick boxing 3 times a week the inches have fallen off like not other :wink:
  • jsdholland
    jsdholland Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Took me three months to lose the 1st 30, then 5 months for the 2nd thirty...the last two being November and December, so filled with birthdays, anniversaries, Xmas and vacay at our house....gained back 7 and have relost 5 of that. This month I started focusing more on losing body fat by adding heavier weight training (stronglifts) and shifting m macros....focusing on my shape, but would live to lose 30 more lbs or two sizes.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    20 months to lose 78 lbs. I've been losing steadily at an average of .8 lbs. per week. I'm a slow loser.

Did that frustrate you? During my last week, I was down 0.8...I'd been going along so steadily and then BAM - only down eight-tenths. I was crossing my fingers that this doesn't become my 'norm'. I'm impatient...but in the end, I'll take any loss.

Heh, better temper your expectations. After losing 80 and having still 26 to go, I'd strangle several people to lose .8lbs a week. 2lbs a week is extremely optimistic, 1lb is GREAT. By the end, .5/week is a miracle. There are months that go by where I don't lose any weight. I've even gained weight some months. Take it slow and enjoy the trip. Much more sustainable that way. I'd give yourself at least 2 years to lose all of the weight.
  • dvwilliams1115
    Options
    Hi! I lost 40lbs in about a years time. For some that may seem like a ton of time but for me it was a learning experience that helps me now. :) You can do it!
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    21.6 lbs in 130 days. I wish it was going faster (especially as I started at 290.6, so in theory I could be losing more/faster) ...but then I remember it's steady and it is sustainable for me (I've yoyo'ed in the past) so I'll take it!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Hey I started January 8, 2013. I am also down only 12lbs! I am also going to the gym 5-6 days a week doing 1-2 hour workouts staying under my 1200 cal. Goal!! And I am straight up fusterated!! But the guy at the gym who is a trainer said my body's in shock right now and don't give up! I hope for my sanity I start lossing soon! I am also going to send you a friend request ;) btw my starting weight was 261:(

That's great progress. Only 12 pounds in less than a month? How is that frustrating? That's amazing.

It took me about 8 months to lose ~50. And the last 15 took 3 of those months. And of course it took about 3 months for those 15 to come right back.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It took me six months to lose 50 pounds. I eat about 1800 calories per day, but do not eat back exercise calories. I do some kind of exercise for about an hour each time, six days per week. For the first time in my life I actually enjoy physical activity....it only took fifty years! I expect it will take another year to lose what I need to, but the habits I need to lose and maintain will be very well established by then.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Not only does it vary by person, but I think it varies by month for me. :-)

It's taken me about 8 years. The fastest I lost was 5 pounds a week for 4 or 5 consecutive weeks. But that weight came back. I can usually keep up .5- 1 pound a week and not feel deprived. At that pace, I can indulge a little but KEEP the weight off.

Exercise is the biggest variable. I am a believer that weight loss is simple math- your calories in have to be less than calories out. This can be bolstered by exercise... but it's OPTIONAL for weight loss. I think exercise is one of the best things you can do to maintain your motivation, build muscle, lengthen your lifespan, increase your energy, bolster your mood... but it's not required for weight loss.

As someone else mentioned, I think you need to reconsider your expectations. You CAN lose fast if you make some unwise decisions... and weight loss isn't likely to stick if done that way. Shoot... technically you could cut off a limb and drop 20. :-) My intention isn't to be flip, your question is a good one. But it's not a simple answer. You likely didn't gain your weight overnight... and you can't expect to lose it (or more importantly, MAINTAIN it) overnight either.

My very best to you!