How much do you gain while on your period?

Options

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I don't usually gain around my period. I gain about 2 lbs for 2 days around ovulation though.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    5+...Just don't worry about the gain. It'll soon pass! X
  • livelaughlove384
    Options
    I do not tend to gain weight while I have my period. I still manage to lose weight during TOM. =)
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 3-10 lbs. It goes away when my cycle is over (as long as I reist the urge to overeat during the huge-appetite-craving days).

Before I had my son, I would go up as much as 16lbs OVERNIGHT. UGH! Nowadays it's on the 3-5lbs range as long as I back off on meats and sweets the week before.
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    2-5 pounds typically! it's frustrating, i just avoid the scale when it's that time of the month.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I gain 5-7 pounds during the two weeks between ovulation and the onset of my period. The night before my period starts I know it's on the way because I'm up all night peeing!
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I never noticed a weight fluctuation, if anything it's probably just food weight since one tends to snack more during their period. I always make a point of it to workout during my period because I read that that is when your testosterone levels are higher & that makes it easier for your body to build muscle!
  • UseItForFuel
    UseItForFuel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Mine is usually between 3-5 lbs. I avoid the scale around that time and focus mainly on hydration and continuing to exercise. The exercise helps boost your mood as well as burn calories! :)
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Mine is usually between 3-5 lbs. I avoid the scale around that time and focus mainly on hydration and continuing to exercise. The exercise helps boost your mood as well as burn calories! :)

Exactly.

I'm also expecting my period anytime between NOW and Friday. Can't wait until next week. ;) My fingers are sausages as I type this...
  • sarahnicole218
    Options
    I tend to gain about 2-5 pounds when the PMS starts, but I seem to be opposite of most people and I lose my appetite on my period, so I'm usually back to normal in the middle of my TOM.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I gain about 4 lbs and lose it a week later sometimes even a extra 1 lb lost
  • annabellio
    annabellio Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am usually 5-7. My question to all of you is when does it start for you I am a week to ten days out and am already feeling the bloat... has happened before.
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't usually gain around my period. I gain about 2 lbs for 2 days around ovulation though.

^^ This ... but I gain for both. Yay. About anywhere from 2 to 8 pounds each time.
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    2-5 pounds of insanely bloated belly and boobs during PMS, once the period starts, it goes back to normal in 2 days
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    This is a good question. Why does the body gain weight is it simply water or is there some other physiological process going on and why is it the body's tendency to gain weight. I think I'll look it up...LOL!
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    This is a good question. Why does the body gain weight is it simply water or is there some other physiological process going on and why is it the body's tendency to gain weight. I think I'll look it up...LOL!

Some weight gain comes from an endometrial build up in your uterus. It gets nice and ready for a potential fertilized egg implantation, BUT if pregnancy is not happening that month, that lining is shed during menstruation.

Majority of the weight is water retention though.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Some weight gain comes from an endometrial build up in your uterus. It gets nice and ready for a potential fertilized egg implantation, BUT if pregnancy is not happening that month, that lining is shed during menstruation.

Majority of the weight is water retention though.

So this is what I could figure out without getting a degree in biochemistry, LOL. Looks like during PMS with eyrthopoesis (red blood cell production) or bodies tend to put on added weight d/t the increase in cell production and also a change in the renin-angiotensin feedback mechanism or our kidneys which enhance salt retention and where the salt goes the water goes. So that might explain some of it. Estrogen of course is fat producing so with increased estrogen during our cycle the body either stores more fat or wont let go of the fat it has now. Also looks like food cravings do increase some are saying that the body wants magnesium, fat, energy for production of cells (uterine lining) ie carbohydrates, and of course salt d/t the feedback mechanism. Not sure if this is more or less during TOM. The female body is defiently a complicated beautiful organism!
  • Vx3_
    Vx3_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    On an average 3-10lbs. I get very bad chocolate cravings.
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I don't step on the scale from the week before I start until a few days after it's over! No need to cry over something I know will go away! :)
  • peckish_pomegranate
    Options
    2-4