How much do you gain while on your period?

Options

Replies

• byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    This month it was 5 pounds, and then it was gone 2 days later. It sucks. I googled things to do to prevent it and I read something that said to exercise, drink lots of water, avoid salt, caffeine and alcohol. None of that prevented my water retention. Oh the joys of womanhood :smile:
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I usually flucuated upwards about 2-3 pounds. I just skip the weigh-in that week and just eat like I normally do. :P
  • misseenk
    misseenk Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i usually see a 5-6lb add on, but i have ovarian cysts also which screw with my whole reality >>; anyway! starts about a day before, leaves a week after, but my period itself only stays 3 days...
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Sometimes as much as 4 lbs. It sucks.
  • srhenderson85
    srhenderson85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So... I feel a little silly asking this but... How are you guys calculating this? I've never really thought about it, but I know I swell up like crazy and am curious about how much I'm really gaining and losing around my TOM...
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh....so glad I read this...mine went up 3 to 4 lbs and if it wasnt for my tape measure Id be sadder then heck.
  • minkychan
    minkychan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've gained a couple of pounds at least. I hate that bloaty feeling!!!! :grumble: :mad: :angry:
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    So... I feel a little silly asking this but... How are you guys calculating this? I've never really thought about it, but I know I swell up like crazy and am curious about how much I'm really gaining and losing around my TOM...

I weigh myself just about every day. It was more important back when I had to make military weigh ins.

The good news is, as I've gotten fitter I gain less water weight.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I don't usually gain around my period. I gain about 2 lbs for 2 days around ovulation though.

Thank goodness I thought I was losing my mind. My body has changed it up on me, I used to gain during PMS but now I seem to be dropping the most right before, and then having this weird stall or gain mid month.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Mine fluctuates an additional 3-4 extra lbs.

This. First day I gain like 3-4 lbs. But it fades off pretty quick. Within a day or so of initial bleeding.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    The last 2 months I actually lost weight! I take Dandelion daily, but for the first day or two I up my dosage to 3x per day. I also try to eat more diuretic veggies.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Any woman can gain between 2-7lbs during TOM, there is a very small number that gain more than 7lbs but the most common amount is 2-3lbs.
  • bimmer2331
    bimmer2331 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    4-6 lbs ..... i have these chocolate cravings....the first 2 days I try not to put my head into a Nutella jar:embarassed: ...
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I usually gain 3-4 lbs and it starts a week before and tends to leave by mid-cycle. I drink loooots of water and work out every day - believe it or not, it can help you feel better!
  • Ofaatu
    Ofaatu Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 2-5 kilos. I hate it. Finished now and waiting for those scales to go down as the mirror is telling me there is a difference in my stomach.
  • MamaWeil2018
    MamaWeil2018 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've only had mine once since starting, but I didn't notice a gain- I just stayed the same weight for 2 weeks, where I had been losing a pound a week prior to that. It's an interesting question though, I'll have to pay attention from now on! Love the suggestion about more water though, wouldn't have considered that!
  • ka3343
    ka3343 Posts: 45
    Options
    I go up at least a dress size around my stomach. work trousers feel really tight, which then makes me feel sick.
    worst time of the month, especially as i get it the week before and week during - so 2 weeks of it...... and thats if im only on for one week........ argh
  • liberty_mouse
    Options
    Before I got on the pill, I would gain 5-10 lbs every month during PMS and the first 3-5 days of my period. Now that I take Yaz, I usually only gain 2-5, but this month is really bad and I'm afraid to weigh myself but am thinking it's at least 6-7.
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I gain 3-5 lbs. I am in perimenopause too which is making it a lot worse. I only have a window of about a week every month when I can gauge weight loss.