Burn calories without sweating

Options
Every few days, I have about an hour and a half of free time in the middle of my day that I want to use to work out! The problem is that I can't sweat because I don't have the time to take a shower and get ready again. I was wondering what burns calories without causing me to sweat a lot? I know I could just go for a walk but that doesn't feel like enough of a workout plus I would feel like I'm wasting some time when I could be cleaning the house, doing homework, or whatever!

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    What about just a quick wash up at the sink? I know it sounds super gross but where I used to work we had a fitness center with showers and all that and a lot of people would take the aerobics classes but didn't have time to shower so they'd just do the wash up.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You're asking for impossible things. Even going for a walk causes sweating, it just evaporates quickly with the moving air.

Try just being more active all day long.

Or lift weights. (Though if you're doing it right you'll still get sweaty)

Or, use a half hour to get a real workout in, and then you have an hour leftover to get dressed.

Or do what you need to do around the house.

But calorie burns cause sweating.
  • twokute80
    twokute80 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My friend and I do monthly challenges. You can do squats every day . Start at 20 and go up by 5 everyday. You can even do those in the bathroom:smile:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo. Wash cloth in your bag. Deoderant. Fresh pair of clothes. Sink.

It's what I used when I used to bike 15 miles total to school everyday.

And I don't even sweat that much.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo. Wash cloth in your bag. Deoderant. Fresh pair of clothes. Sink.

It's what I used when I used to bike 15 miles total to school everyday.

And I don't even sweat that much.

Dry shampoo is God's gift to my schedule.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo and body spray. Deodorant and fresh panties.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Every few days, I have about an hour and a half of free time in the middle of my day that I want to use to work out! The problem is that I can't sweat because I don't have the time to take a shower and get ready again. I was wondering what burns calories without causing me to sweat a lot? I know I could just go for a walk but that doesn't feel like enough of a workout plus I would feel like I'm wasting some time when I could be cleaning the house, doing homework, or whatever!

This is like asking how to ride a regular bike without peddling......sure you could push on the ground with your feet.....but that's not fast enough.

1271824064_little-girl-parking-bike.gif
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If it feels like a workout, you'll sweat.
    If I don't have meetings in the afternoon, I just make sure I'm wearing plenty of low-scent deodorant, go for a run at lunchtime, wipe off sweat afterwards with a paper towel. As long as I change my clothes, I don't get smelly.
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    On days when I've literally had an hour to get in a workout, I've done a 5 minute warm up and then either 30 minutes of weights or cardio, 5 minute cool down/stretching and then 20 minutes to shower (can use dry shampoo if don't have time to wash/dry hair), put on some makeup and clean clothes and get outta there.. it's doable!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I know I'm double dipping my response here, but the more I think about it, an hour and a half is plenty of time to do something intense and then put yourself back together. In that much time I could run a 5k, take a shower, get dressed, and have a snack before getting back to work.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You really only need 30 minutes to get in a good workout if you're pushing yourself. With 90 minutes you should have plenty of time to fit in a 5 minute warm up, 30 minute w/o, and 10 minute cool down with stretching and then hit the shower and go on with your day.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Have access to a walk in freezer?
  • Prettyskinny69
    Options
    I appreciate everyone putting in their input but really, I do NOT have the time to shower and get ready again. I have already attempted to figure out a plan to work for me but it's really not doable with where I'm at/my resources. Plus I don't go to the gym so I was thinking something at home. Damn, too much negativity in this post...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    90 mins is a long time, but I'm thinking she may not have time to get to wherever a gym and shower are located and get back to work or whatever.

Just go for long walk. Walking is a near perfect form of exercise. Get sweaty on the days when you have more time and take walks on the days you don't.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Ice skating nude.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone putting in their input but really, I do NOT have the time to shower and get ready again. I have already attempted to figure out a plan to work for me but it's really not doable with where I'm at/my resources. Plus I don't go to the gym so I was thinking something at home. Damn, too much negativity in this post...

I can get a great workout in doing HIIT for 30 min so that would still give you an hour. Out of curiousity, why is an hour not enough time? Not trying to be negative, just asking an honest question?
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you have stairs nearby those work great. It can be a little boring but it gets the job done. A woman at my work uses unsented baby wipes to clean up.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I know! Sooo much negativity! Everyone answered your question with good advice, you disagreed without elaborating on why your situation is so different, so everyone MUST be negative!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I know I'm double dipping my response here, but the more I think about it, an hour and a half is plenty of time to do something intense and then put yourself back together. In that much time I could run a 5k, take a shower, get dressed, and have a snack before getting back to work.

Yeah I'm on the same page with you here. 30-60 minute workout with plenty of time to freshen yourself up any way you may desire. I'm confused as to what the problem is?

Or just own your stinkiness like a boss.
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    Maybe you can do some belly dance drills or a tabata or two so that you don't break a big sweat. Then, when you feel as if you might break a big sweat, you back off and just walk or do something low impact.

When I do barre exercises, most of the time I don't sweat. So, maybe do some strength training. They probably have 10 minute workout dvds that might give you ideas.

What types of workouts do you like to do/are you missing in your rotation?

If it were me and I didn't want to get really sweaty, I would probably rotate through a beginner/intermediate barre routine. Or even do a 30 minute one that was just upper body and abs or lower body. Then, I would switch it up with something else that was not high intensity.

If you have hills where you are at, you could go for a walk and burn more calories. I walked for an hour and 15 minutes around the hills in my neighborhood and didn't sweat. I burned 495 calories.

Sounds like you might want something to tone/condition your muscles vs. a super sweaty aerobic workout?