Would you rather be very smart or very attractive?

Options
124»

Replies

• Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I would rather be very smart. Being smart is the new sexy.
  • breckinloggins
    Options
    I've been the "smart guy" all my life and I suppose it's been a good thing on balance. That said, if I had to live life all over again I'd probably pick "attractive".

I know it's just supposed to be a fun question, but I think it's important to realize that this is a false dichotomy:

- I think that MOST people can be smart. The reason my friends and family generally think of me as smart has more to do with my interests than my IQ. If you start programming computers at 11 rather than playing outside with the other kids, it stands to reason that you're going to be pretty good at it, no? I've met very few people in life who weren't fully capable of picking up almost anything. Most people just don't enjoy thinking hard; it's not an active interest.

- I think that MOST people can be attractive. It's truly amazing how being fit and healthy can make you a more attractive person. Right now I'm heavy, but I remember being fit and trim (I lost a bunch of weight back in 2002 and worked out a lot). Before then, I always thought I was the "ugly chubby guy". But I wasn't ugly. I was just out of shape, and people don't find that attractive. When I really got into shape I got quite a lot of attention from the ladies, even though I have a pretty average face. Also, of course, confidence is attractive.

Now let's be realistic: you likely aren't Einstein and you likely aren't George Clooney. But that's OK. You don't have to be born "the most attractive" to be "attractive" (workout!), and you don't have to be born a genius to be really smart (read!).

This is more of a motivational note to myself, lol :)
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be very smart to afford the super nice make up, clothes, jewelery, ect that makes me really pretty! Plus being healthy and eating good foods makes a person glow.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Id rather be a dinosaur
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    Well, life would be a WHOLE lot easier if I were less intelligent and more attractive....this is a tough one. I'll stick with intelligence, final answer.
  • missmarymcmcmc
    missmarymcmcmc Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Attractive. You can't fix ugly, but you can study and research anything
  • jwckim
    Options
    smart
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    smart enough to make myself attractive.
  • maggs155
    maggs155 Posts: 258
    Options
    Have to have both.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I would be me which happens to be both...
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Naturally attractive and then study hard to be very smart.
  • QuietRain
    Options
    I'm neither smart, nor attractive. But I'm fun! and that's worked for me so far... so. I'd rather just keep on, keepin' on.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    You are hanging out with the wrong men.

Many women got it all wrong.

It took me to get to 30 (and a couple of good honest men) to find out that men will ALWAYS go for looks a.k.a fresh yummy meat. It's encoded biologically. We can learn to accept that but any women registering and trying to lose weight and tracking their calories etc etc on MFP - but then explaining how it is all about the mind and personality is just plain weird and a bit hypocrytical to me.

I for one am not trying to lose weight/get healthy to make myself more attractive to others. It is about being healthy and living longer! I have been with partners at various weights and would never have described myself as "fresh yummy meat" so I have no idea how I managed to find a man............. Maybe my personality and intelligence?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Many women got it all wrong.

It took me to get to 30 (and a couple of good honest men) to find out that men will ALWAYS go for looks a.k.a fresh yummy meat. It's encoded biologically. We can learn to accept that but any women registering and trying to lose weight and tracking their calories etc etc on MFP - but then explaining how it is all about the mind and personality is just plain weird and a bit hypocrytical to me.
    As I man, I don't deny I always wanted to get 'healthy' to have a body that would help attract women - I'm fairly shy and being in better shape gives me confidence - especially as I tend to find trimmer women more attractive, so see it that there's no excuse for me not making an effort.

However, what made me get off my backside and actually start making an effort a few years ago was my mum pointing out she hoped she wouldn't end up with as bad dementia etc as she tried to stay a bit healthy - and that sort of thing does help.
    With Alzheimer's on one side and two cases of general dementia on the other; I want to avoid that as much as possible!

A large proportion of men do go on looks, at least at first.
    But it's not always what people might think - I know plenty for instance that find big boobs attractive and are quite happy if that comes with a generally big body.
    Me, I don't tend to go for the barbydoll look, but do like a slim figure. However, while I would always be thinking about the girl that looked the prettiest when seeing a group from afar, if I got to know them, I do often find myself attracted to girls offering an overall 'package' which I like, regardless of how I first viewed them.
    There has to be some physical attraction there though - just as so far I've never found my heart racing when I see a bloke who's company I enjoy.

To some degree I do think it's easier for men; but this site has also shown both the amazing transformations people can achieve and that by keeping fit you can still look attractive way below your years.

I've met very few people in life who weren't fully capable of picking up almost anything. Most people just don't enjoy thinking hard; it's not an active interest.
    Indeed - much as I often do criticise my friends that expect to live off my efforts in researching and learning about things; the reality is that there's loads of areas I am or have been lazy in too - I didn't join this site because I had a history of eating the right foods, even though I did know better.

As for the original question; I think I'd prefer to have the brains I do (not suggesting that equates to being 'very smart') than being very attractive. I've never been that 'attractive' to women, thanks to aforementioned shyness etc - lookswise I've found enough that find me attractive enough.
    However, some people who are 'very attractive' manage also to be 'very happy', which I think is a decent goal - and one that 'thinking' perhaps often hinders rather than helps.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I don't have to choose I'm already smart & pretty :flowerforyou:
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be very attractive, just being honest. People think I'm not smart anyway since I went through cosmetology school instead of "real college".. because it takes no brains to do what i do apparently. Too bad I make more $$$ a day than a lot of people do. but people will still judge! :)
  • rushikareddy
    rushikareddy Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Depends on the degree of smart! If I were to choose between being pretty or being a genius! I'd choose genius! :D