Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

anyone on the depo shot?

2»

Replies

• I just started back in July of 2012... I love it! I haven't had any weird side effects and I get a period about every three months which is so much better compared to what I was going through before dealing with polycystic ovarian syndrome and trying to take the pill...it was a disaster. The depo shot is so wonderful.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    My doc told me to make sure I get my calcium because the depo does something with the calcium in your bones.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    I'm a fan of the NuvaRing. Much less side effects & I don't have to have my period either.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    My doc told me to make sure I get my calcium because the depo does something with the calcium in your bones.

Only for long term (>2 years) useage. It decreases your bone density which can lead to oesteoporosis later on. On doctor's orders I take 2 Caltrate tablets a day to deal with it. My bone density still isn't ideal after 16 years of depo use, but it's better than it was and my doctor was happy with the improvement.
  • Im 30 and have been on depo since I was 15. I LOVE IT. At the beginning I did gain alot of weight but now it doesnt affect my weight at all. I love it. I do have to get a DEXA but Im sure everything is okay. I take mulitvitamin daily.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Depo is the only birth control that has been proven to cause weight gain and inhibit weight loss.

I prefer to take a pill that releases a steady amount of hormone that just a WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM shot all at once.

Plus, it builds up scar tissue that can cause issues conceiving (don't know if thats an issue for you).
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    I was on it for 6 months and finally just quit last November because I hated it. I lost a ton of hair (clogged a drain that hadn't clogged once in 15 years), couldn't lose any weight despite frequent cardio and strength training and a good diet, and my sex drive TANKED. Sex was so painful (dry) that I would go out of my way to avoid it whenever I could.

It's been about 3 months and it's still working its way out of my system, but I feel more normal every week. I got a non-hormonal IUD in January and it's completely brilliant.