Skipping meals??

Options

Replies

• honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Firstly this poster is correct. IF has been shown to have multiple health benefits, with fat loss being one of them. I did IF for a year with success, and only stopped because I fell pregnant. I plan on going back to IF (Eat Stop Eat) after I finish breastfeeding.

If IF is so healthy and has so many healthy benefits why would you restart only after you end nursing? That implies you don't buy into it fully as a healthy way to eat. You can lose weight and nurse without impacting the baby's well being, so why wouldn't you with IF? Seems like a contradiction of beliefs to me *shrugs*

Because IF isn't recommended for pregnant and breastfeeding women. There isn't enough research into the area and studies have shown that any caloric deficit whether it's through IF or just other forms of dieting can cause problems for you and the baby.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I pay dearly if I do. I end up ravenous and weak. I do have blood sugar issues.
  • kellyf_83
    Options
    Firstly this poster is correct. IF has been shown to have multiple health benefits, with fat loss being one of them. I did IF for a year with success, and only stopped because I fell pregnant. I plan on going back to IF (Eat Stop Eat) after I finish breastfeeding.

If IF is so healthy and has so many healthy benefits why would you restart only after you end nursing? That implies you don't buy into it fully as a healthy way to eat. You can lose weight and nurse without impacting the baby's well being, so why wouldn't you with IF? Seems like a contradiction of beliefs to me *shrugs*

I'm going to take a wild guess that calorie restrictions during breastfeeding can seriously impact milk production. You burn crazy calories while BF and if you don't eat sufficiently and drink lots of fluids, you can dry up.

totally true. at least for me anyways. i used to have the habit (and still am guilty of it from time to time) of not eating a single thing until after 3pm. as a busy mom on the go, i would just forget to feed myself believe it or not. but now that i'm breastfeeding, i have to really pay attention to how much I eat- because if i don't, my milk supply drops and it takes days to get back on track. but as for fasting being healthy, remember there are different schools of thought. I don't eat meat. some people think its super healthy, others think i'm nuts. just got to find what's right for you and listen to your body.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I always skip breakfast.
    I don't usually skip lunch or dinner, but I guess the size of my lunches and dinners are the size of a snack for some people! xD
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    I don't know the correct answer but I've seen alot of diaries where they eat 1000 calories at lunch and then not the rest of the day. To me it seems unhealthy but I don't know for sure. I just know that would never work for me. I always went with the recommendation of eatting 6 small meals throughout the day.
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I ate one meal a day before which is where I piled the weight on.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    The only time skipping meals is bad is if it causes you to eat more junk outside of meals or at your next meal.

The reason 5+ meals was suggested for people was to prevent the problem of unplanned eating. You can eat one meal a day as long as it's planned, and be perfectly healthy.
  • JessicaMary92
    JessicaMary92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Skipping meals can be a bad thing! Because your body will go into lock down and any food that you then intake will automatically turn into fat! Because it thinks your body is starving itself...
    I suggest NO to skipping meals! Eat something light regulary it will do you the world of good!
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    According to a lot of studies done, as long as you're burning more than you're taking in, you're going to lose. Doesn't matter the kind of foods, the time of day, or anything like that. It's a personal preference at that point.

I, personally, eat a lot of small things throughout the day. For me, this works. For some, only eating a couple times per day may work for them. As long as you're not starving yourself? Go for it. :)
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    When you skip meals, it makes you hungrier later and makes you overeat.
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    When you skip meals, it makes you hungrier later and makes you overeat.

that how it is for you, but that doesn't mean it like this for everyone.

I skip breakfast, because I'm not hungry in the morning. If I have breakfast, I always overeat later and feel much more hungry the complete next day.

Everybody has to find it's own way - as long as you eat enough calories (from healthy things) it doesn't matter how often you eat.
  • niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Skipping meals can be a bad thing! Because your body will go into lock down and any food that you then intake will automatically turn into fat! Because it thinks your body is starving itself...
    I suggest NO to skipping meals! Eat something light regulary it will do you the world of good!

Really...
  • trishaswiss
    trishaswiss Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Moral of the story:everone is different and has to do what works for them. I just hope that people are being healthy about it. Period.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    LOL

To all the people who claim eating only one meal a day is unhealthy. Do you really think early man was able to sit and eat 6 meals a day? The human body evolved to eat a lot of calories in one sitting, and then fast for extended periods of time until food could be found. This is how we naturally eat. It wasn't until the 1700's that people started eating more than once a day.
  • nikplatinum
    nikplatinum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can eat one meal a day if you can put all of your calories and macros for that day in one meal. It is all about calories not meal frequencies.
  • nikplatinum
    nikplatinum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well said
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't log everything. For me, if I log breakfast and lunch and then I'm happy. I'm in maintenance mode (for the past 14 years) so I don't need to be that particular. Sometimes, if you look at someone's food log and you see meals missing, it might be that they are not logging.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    JOIN THE IF GROUP!!! IT IS GREAT! WORKS FOR ME!
  • amyljl77
    amyljl77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Im pretty new here (I started back up a few weeks ago) but I've noticed that people get really worked up about certain topics. I think part of the key to weight loss is learning what works for you and your body. While some people posted that they do fasts and it's great, I know that it would never work or be healthy for me. If I go too long without eating or let myself get too hungry one of several things will happen.

1. I will get light headed, cranky and feel like crap
    2. migraine
    3. I will get so hungry that I will give up and binge eat something ridiculous, like a box of swiss cake rolls

I've learned that I do best when I get small regular meals that have enough fat and protein and save enough calories for evening to have a snack. Will this work for everyone? Maybe not.
    If you're curious about fasting, try it. See if it works for you. But that's the thing, you have to figure out what works for YOU. If you are steadily losing weight and you feel good, then it's probably OK!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're wrong. Intermittent Fasting is a form of "skipping meals", and it's perfectly healthy.

First off, let me be clear. I"m not trying to dis anybody. As I said, occasionally skipping meals here and there is one thing...Heck, I usually end up only eating two meals on the weekends. On a daily basis is what I was speaking of. Also I am seeing people that are constantly eating one meal a day. THAT cannot be healthy.

People here are ****s Trisha.
    It isn't healthy. Your body will not burn fat at a consistant rate, and you will not keep your metabolism high. Ocassionally is okay, all the time isn't. You're right to be concerned.

You're being just as RUDE as the person you're insulting FYI.

Some people only prefer to eat once a day & it works for them.
    I eat throughout the day and some camps say this is the way to do it, and others say no.

Do what is right for YOU and stop caring/judging what other people do.