Skipping meals??

Options

Replies

• MartinBenson
    MartinBenson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Skipping meals on a daily basis is not a good idea. There is a place for IF for one or two days a week where you only have 500 or 600kcal on these days if using the 5:2 diet. There is clinical evidence to support this however research has also shown that people tend to be thinner if they eat breakfast.

Your body does go into starvation mode if you skip meals so it is better to have 3 small meals per day than 1 massive meal. Also I'm not sure how you would get all your vitamins and minerals you need in the day if you are only eating one or two meals per day.

Everyone has their own ways of doing things but balance is important to a diet whether trying to lose weight or weight maintain.
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I am noticing that an awful lot of people are skipping meals daily, and some are skipping multiple meals. That doesn't seem like the best way to stay under your calories. I can see skipping a meal if you're busy or plain old not hungry...but on a daily basis? Not super healthy, am I wrong??

Why are all the IF dieters getting their knickers in a knot for..... All OP was asking is why people are skipping meals and that it doesn't seem healthy.... she didn't post to point out IF dieters in specific, she just posted what she has come across....

Some MFP members really peeve me off... Why tell people what you are doing is right and what someone else is doing is wrong??? Are we all not here for the same reason?? And just because what you are doing works for YOUR body doesn’t mean it will work for someone else’s body!!! Stick to what works for you and leave other people to diet how they choose....

HAS NOBODY EVER HEARD THE SAYING DIFFRENT STROKES FOR DIFFRENT FOLKS???
  • MartinBenson
    MartinBenson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    LOL

To all the people who claim eating only one meal a day is unhealthy. Do you really think early man was able to sit and eat 6 meals a day? The human body evolved to eat a lot of calories in one sitting, and then fast for extended periods of time until food could be found. This is how we naturally eat. It wasn't until the 1700's that people started eating more than once a day.

However in the past food wasn't plentiful therefore larger people were more likely to survive, hence why it is so difficult for people to lose weight. Evolution hasn't realised most of us have plenty of food around.
  • Jimmytreatingtons
    Jimmytreatingtons Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am noticing that an awful lot of people are skipping meals daily, and some are skipping multiple meals. That doesn't seem like the best way to stay under your calories. I can see skipping a meal if you're busy or plain old not hungry...but on a daily basis? Not super healthy, am I wrong??

Why are all the IF dieters getting their knickers in a knot for..... All OP was asking is why people are skipping meals and that it doesn't seem healthy.... she didn't post to point out IF dieters in specific, she just posted what she has come across....

Some MFP members really peeve me off... Why tell people what you are doing is right and what someone else is doing is wrong??? Are we all not here for the same reason?? And just because what you are doing works for YOUR body doesn’t mean it will work for someone else’s body!!! Stick to what works for you and leave other people to diet how they choose....

Well said Saivalis, this topic seems to have stirred up the pot. I guess that's why we are all different! Some people just can't see that, or don't want to see it!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Skipping meals on a daily basis is not a good idea. There is a place for IF for one or two days a week where you only have 500 or 600kcal on these days if using the 5:2 diet. There is clinical evidence to support this however research has also shown that people tend to be thinner if they eat breakfast.

Your body does go into starvation mode if you skip meals so it is better to have 3 small meals per day than 1 massive meal. Also I'm not sure how you would get all your vitamins and minerals you need in the day if you are only eating one or two meals per day.

Everyone has their own ways of doing things but balance is important to a diet whether trying to lose weight or weight maintain.

This is just wrong. Look up leangains style IF.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

No-one got their knickers in a knot, unless it was the poster who posted a rude and offensive post that was uncalled for. No-one was rude to the OP, they merely explained that it was not unhealthy.

It's funny, look at who the people who are actually being insulting are...
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    IF involves skipped meals, as some people have mentioned. And you know what, whether or not you believe that it works or you believe in the health benefits won't change the fact that it does work for some. Sure, it may not work for YOU, but that doesn't mean it won't work for anyone else.

As for me, I skip breakfast usually on Monday's and won't eat until 1. This is because on the weekend, I tend to go a bit off track. I eat the same amount of calories during my day as I normally would, but I allow that time in the morning to drink a lot of fluid and try to get some toxins out before my first meal.

It works for me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    LOL

To all the people who claim eating only one meal a day is unhealthy. Do you really think early man was able to sit and eat 6 meals a day? The human body evolved to eat a lot of calories in one sitting, and then fast for extended periods of time until food could be found. This is how we naturally eat. It wasn't until the 1700's that people started eating more than once a day.

However in the past food wasn't plentiful therefore larger people were more likely to survive, hence why it is so difficult for people to lose weight. Evolution hasn't realised most of us have plenty of food around.

How does that address the fact that skipping breakfast for instance is allegedly unhealthy?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    When you skip meals, it makes you hungrier later and makes you overeat.

that how it is for you, but that doesn't mean it like this for everyone.

I skip breakfast, because I'm not hungry in the morning. If I have breakfast, I always overeat later and feel much more hungry the complete next day.

Everybody has to find it's own way - as long as you eat enough calories (from healthy things) it doesn't matter how often you eat.

Exactly the same for me.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Some days I eat 3 or 4 times, sometimes I have 2 huge meals, some days I just have 10 "snacks". As long as I'm eating my calories and meeting my macros I don't care. My work schedule varies a lot so it's hard to have a consistent eating schedule.

My metabolism hasn't exploded yet.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Skipping meals is fine as long as you feel fine and as long as you're able to adequately nourish yourself (calories/macros/micros) by end of day.

The whole idea of metabolism lowering because you skip a meal, or it increasing due to frequent feedings, is entirely bogus. Diet induced thermogenesis is not frequency based.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I was never peeved. In fact I think it's the opposite. The people that seem most defensive are the ones thinking by skipping a meal you magically go into "starvation mode" and your metabolism shuts down in panic. I would suggest some people keep an open mind and do independent research and pay attention to the source of the information:) In fact, many sensible people have said there is not only one right way. At the end of the day it's about deficit for all of us. Unless of course you're trying to gain.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating the proper amount of calories, you can eat them all in one sitting or eat a fraction every hour. Most people's bodies will be happier spreading them throughout the day (I eat every couple of hours), but some people don't get hungry often and just want one massive meal.
  • cole_ashleyy
    cole_ashleyy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Regardless if skipping meals if "good" or "bad" (I personally don't think it's something anyone should be doing, but that's their choice not mine)... if someone is doing it for weight loss... that weight loss isn't gonna last- they're just gonna gain it right back.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work for me. I do best with 3 balanced meals and one smaller meal/snack. I tried fasting once and felt awful. I had no energy and was miserable. I'm diabetic now, so it's definitely out of the question.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Regardless if skipping meals if "good" or "bad" (I personally don't think it's something anyone should be doing, but that's their choice not mine)... if someone is doing it for weight loss... that weight loss isn't gonna last- they're just gonna gain it right back.

How do you deduce this?
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're wrong. Intermittent Fasting is a form of "skipping meals", and it's perfectly healthy.

This. :)
  • rininger85
    Options
    two things 1) skipping meals causes your blood sugar level to drop, could cause lack of energy 2) causes your metabolism to drop, your metabolism increases after eating to process all of the foods you ate, if you don't eat consistently throughout the day your metabolism slows down as your energy levels drop.

that being said I normally only eat 2 meals on the weekends but thats because I've been trying to cook more on the weekends, so by the time I wake up around 8-9am and cook a bigger breakfast its 10-11am, so then I don't eat lunch, but I eat dinner around 3-4pm those days instead of 6-7pm on days that I eat 3 meals... but again I'm not really saving calories on the weekends, I'm still eating them just I make bigger meals at different times of the day than what I do during the week.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    People here are ****s Trisha.
    It isn't healthy. Your body will not burn fat at a consistant rate, and you will not keep your metabolism high. Ocassionally is okay, all the time isn't. You're right to be concerned.
    No.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol

Plenty of actual peer-reviewed studies linked in that thread which prove the above totally incorrect.
  • I don't usually intend to, but once a day, I usually end up skipping a meal. It's not even Intermittent Fasting, I just wake up too late for breakfast, eat lunch, dinner, and be done. Or I'll wake up early, have breakfast, not be hungry enough for lunch, eat dinner. Or I'll have a big lunch, and not want dinner til like 10pm.
    When I was working nights, my lunch was at Midnight, and my breakfast was at 8pm. My "dinner" was usually a light snack (if that) before going to bed at 10a the next day, so no real "dinner" there.

No health issues pertaining to it so far, and I've been eating this erratically since I was a pre-teen.
    I got obese from eating too much fast food, sodas, and cake. Not because I didn't eat my Wheaties.

Also, my boyfriend, who is fit: eats two meals a day at his leisure. He almost NEVER eats lunch.
    He's experienced no negatives from it thus far either.