Gym Gear...Embarrassed

iAMsmiling
iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
I've always been sort of old school when it comes to gym clothes. Over the last few years though, I've discovered the benefits of the new fabrics over cotton and I've been transitioning to dry fit clothes by Nike and Under Armour.
The last of my cotton work out clothes are very near death. My favorite old Everlast sleeveless won't survive many more trips through the wash.

27739717_7216.jpg

So great, new clothes that don't stink so much and dry out quickly. Comfortable and practical for working out.

On the down side, this morning I walked in to the gym, saw myself in the mirror, and nearly headed back home. I was wearing a black Under Armour shirt, red and black Under Armour shorts and Red/White/Black New Balance shoes.
Just a taaaad too coordinated!

I looked like a fitness model...without the fitness.

Mortifying.

Tomorrow I'm going to have to wear that old Everlast and some plain cotton shorts. I'll stink up the place, but I need my man card (old guy version) back.

Replies

• Too funny! :laugh: I purposely never match when I go to the gym....down to the socks! :happy:
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    I know how you feel... I normally just wear navy issued PT gear because I'm required to own it (not wear it...) and the bright yellow shirt is easy as f*** to find. Too bad I look like a booter.
  • The Rocky Balboa look has always worked for me............I´m no fitness model either, so I don´t coordinate my attire that much. What I actually look for is to wear comfortable clothes that can allow me to do the movements without creating any discomfort.
    I see nothing wrong in going old school.....................Probably that explains my gym playlist as well................
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    HAHA that's awesome! :laugh:
  • I felt the same way when I came back into the fitness game after having my baby. Pre-pregnancy, I was ALL about regular cotton shirts with jogging pants....and that's it. When I came back into the gym after having my son, all I saw was dry-fit outfits, under armour wear and for my particular FAVE class, Zumba wear. I now feel like I am addicted to updating my gym wear, but there's no better feeling than to hear, "I love your outfit!" Like you, those days of cotton shirts and jogging pants days are almost over, but there are a few trusties I just can't part with.

Thanks for sharing and letting me know, I'm not alone :smile:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    I know how you feel... I normally just wear navy issued PT gear because I'm required to own it (not wear it...) and the bright yellow shirt is easy as f*** to find. Too bad I look like a booter.

We have quite a few of those yellow shirts too...The shorts remind me of grade school issued gym shorts: straight polyester :laugh:
  • iAMsmiling
    I felt the same way when I came back into the fitness game after having my baby. Pre-pregnancy, I was ALL about regular cotton shirts with jogging pants....and that's it. When I came back into the gym after having my son, all I saw was dry-fit outfits, under armour wear and for my particular FAVE class, Zumba wear. I now feel like I am addicted to updating my gym wear, but there's no better feeling than to hear, "I love your outfit!" Like you, those days of cotton shirts and jogging pants days are almost over, but there are a few trusties I just can't part with.

See, if the ladies come up to you and say "Love your outfit," that's a good thing. If the guys come up to me and say it, not so much.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    I bet you looked so pretty :wink:

I'm not a pretty pretty princess kind of girl, but I caught myself in the mirror while walking out of the gym one day wearing my pink shoes, a pink workout top, a pink zip up hoodie over that with my pink purse... drinking my pink strawberry protein shake. All different shades of pink, mind you. The horror!
  • iAMsmiling

You had PT gear? Dude, we had dungarees and steel toed shoes. PT in that.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,412 Member
    I'm an Adidas *kitten* so I am usually a bit too coordinated for my taste but... who cares.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    I'm a yoga pants, camisole with T-shirt over it, hoodie and running shoes person for working out. My fiancé pokes fun because I wear so many layers (even when I'm regular clothes) but I feel more covered and comfortable that way and though I admittedly get a bit warm while exercising, I'm generally cold and I'm always glad for the extra layers once the sweat cools :P
  • tRiNaBeAnZz
    tRiNaBeAnZz Posts: 114 Member
    I always match my shoes to my workout gear...but then again, I am a girl, so matching is sort of in my DNA. :)
    I bet the red, white and black looked awesome!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    I felt the same way when I came back into the fitness game after having my baby. Pre-pregnancy, I was ALL about regular cotton shirts with jogging pants....and that's it. When I came back into the gym after having my son, all I saw was dry-fit outfits, under armour wear and for my particular FAVE class, Zumba wear. I now feel like I am addicted to updating my gym wear, but there's no better feeling than to hear, "I love your outfit!" Like you, those days of cotton shirts and jogging pants days are almost over, but there are a few trusties I just can't part with.

See, if the ladies come up to you and say "Love your outfit," that's a good thing. If the guys come up to me and say it, not so much.

I'd rather be complimented for how much I can squat or deadlift than what I'm wearing.
  • Tomorrow I'm going to have to wear that old Everlast and some plain cotton shorts. I'll stink up the place, but I need my man card (old guy version) back.

I just spit water all over my desk!... Thanks for the laugh!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member

I'd rather be complimented for how much I can squat or deadlift than what I'm wearing.

why does it have to be either or? it's possible to be a bada$$ and still look cute while doing it. one of my favorite superheros was coordinated as HELL and could still open a can of whoop *kitten*

linda-carter-17.jpg
  • iAMsmiling

why does it have to be either or? it's possible to be a bada$$ and still look cute while doing it. one of my favorite superheros was coordinated as HELL and could still open a can of whoop *kitten*

linda-carter-17.jpg

Linda Carter BABY!
    Rushed me right through puberty she did.
    Yum
  • iAMsmiling
    I always match my shoes to my workout gear...but then again, I am a girl, so matching is sort of in my DNA. :)
    I bet the red, white and black looked awesome!

I looked just like the guys on the UA web site, with half the muscles and twice the old.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Not sure if you are aware of this, but a man typically has a general set of colors they wear for everything. Therefore, not being coordinated in your color scheme is usually rare even when grabbing random clothes. That is the great part....I grab shorts, socks, shoes, shirt, and go. Turns out I am coordinated all of the time. You didn't lose your man card, you just made it to the next level..."Looking good with no effort and not thinking"
  • Vlly4life15
    Vlly4life15 Posts: 248 Member
    Black shorts go with everything 0.o
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    This is hilarious - I've totally done the same thing! One time I noticed myself in the mirror - pink UA shirt, with black shorts that had a pink stripe down the side, pink socks - and my friggen PINK water bottle! Not only was I all matchy-match but PINK? What was I thinking, haha. At least my shoes were white/blue :)