Weights - I need help.

Options
I am not a "lifter" or whatever it is called. I want to be though, so where do I start? Right now, I am a cardio gal. I do cardio 4 to 5 times a week and burn anywhere from 400 to 700 calories during a workout. What I want to do is cardio 3 times a week and concentrate on lifting 2 days a week. Is that a good start?

I don't know where to start, how many pounds to lift, what the hell to lift, or any of that good stuff? Anyone want to give me advice?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I am going to start tomorrow and i'm probably going to look like the biggest idiot at the gym ever. :laugh:
  • kariannmbc
    Options
    I would love to see the answers you get! Sadly, I cannot offer any real advice.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    look up: starting strength, stronglifts, new rules of lifting for women.
  • Vlly4life15
    Vlly4life15 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Honestly start a basic lifting program look up some youtubes you can add me if you want to ask more questions.

Start with squats, deadlifts, lunges, shoulder press, incline db press, db rows, dips and pushups for bw
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

This right here.

If you really want to just start out at 2x per week, NROLFW is probably the best of those three.
  • lina1131
    Options
    What do you recommend as far as reps, sets, and how heavy should I be lifting? I am really not strong, at all.

I will look up those suggestions, thanks! :heart:
  • lina1131
    Options

This right here.

If you really want to just start out at 2x per week, NROLFW is probably the best of those three.

I'll look it up right now! Thanks!
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options

I recommend a session with a trainer to get the proper forms and some starting weights/reps.

Enjoy!!
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Your gym probably has circuit machines, that is a good place to start because they will 'test' you to see how much you should be lifting and such. then when you get more comfortable you can switch to the weight machines.
  • hellobritney
    Options
    Does your gym offer any type of fitness program? Someone to show you how to use the machines.

I started light weight, 3 sets of 10. One day arm machines, the next legs.

Or you could do a mile cardio, a circuit on the weight machines, another mile cardio, then a circuit on the weight machines, etc... until you get all your sets in. This will keep your heart rate high the whole time.
  • Vlly4life15
    Vlly4life15 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    2 to 3 sets of 8

Whatever you are able to do while starting off

probably start with 2 move into 3
  • Long2bthin
    Long2bthin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough I just started heavy lifting today (have been doing circuit/strength training at home mostly) with free weights and DVDs. I found this site and am following the plan: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm I did my first upper arm workout today with 30 pound barbells to start. I will try higher weights tomorrow and hopefully build up to lifting heavy! Good luck!
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has alot of great programs depending on what you want to do, you can search by your gender if you wanna burn fat or build muscle, you can even look for workouts based on certain body parts. Say you find a plan that you want to work differnt muscle groups differnt days, on bodybuilding.com you will find great examples of all of that. And just remember dont skip leg day :) Alot of people avoid it skip it dont do it whatever you want to call it, but rumor has it (not sure how true but heard from alot of people) that because you legs are the larger muscles in your body it helps release endorphines aminos (fancy science terms) that also assist in growing muscles in other places when you work those. Just something to think about. Hope that helps.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I seriously suggest you read Starting Strength or Strong Lifts before taking some of the advice in this thread.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Most gyms will offer a "Complimentary" one time trainer introduction. Obviously, this is a ploy to sell you trainer time...but if they do, they should show you how to properly use the weights.

Personally, if you have never lifted before and pick up on proper form quickly, get some trainer time...3 sessions may be all you need. Otherwise, use the machines until you feel comfortable enough to move to free weights.
  • IsisCrisis
    IsisCrisis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you've never used free weights or the weight machines before you should schedule at last one session with a personal trainer. He/she can show you how to do the exercises properly (without hurting yourself and while getting the most out of the exercises). He/she can also help you establish a baseline of how much weight you should be lifting. Obviously, as you get better you can increase the weight.

Absent that I suggesting finding someone at your gym who looks fit and like she knows what she's doing, then follow her around and do what she does. But a personal trainer is the better option.
  • lina1131
    Options
    I did think of asking a personal trainer, but just didn't want them to try to sell me sessions. I will do some research on the recommended books you guys suggested and probably just check out the different machines tomorrow until I know what I am doing. I wanted to have my husband go up there with me to point things out, but our schedules are so different, i just don't think it's going to be possible.

Thanks for all the replies/help/tips!
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't know where to start, how many pounds to lift, what the hell to lift, or any of that good stuff? Anyone want to give me advice?

As for how many pounds, that's going to probably take you a bit of trial and error. It will also vary based on how you feel that day (under the weather, hungry, etc) and what specific exercise you are doing (you can likely "lift" more when your legs are involved than you can with just your arms, etc).

As for how much to lift, find what you like. Some people prefer 2 sets of 8 reps per set and they lift as heavy as they can. Others might do 3 sets of 15 reps each and so they lift a little lighter but they do more reps. So, average 2-3 sets of 8-15 reps per set.

In general though, try to control the movement from beginning to end, so that you don't swing the weights haphazardly or pull a muscle. And listen to your body. If you are on rep 3 of set 1 and your muscles burn and you are shaking like a leaf, you'll never finish your set properly so that's a sign to back off to a lighter weight. Likewise, if you are on rep 8 of set 2 and you feel like you could keep at this all day with no problem, that's a sign your weight is too light and you need a heavier one.

I tended to aim for that "I could maybe do half a set more, but definitely not a full set" feeling when I stopped. I aimed for 3 sets of 12 reps each, but sometimes didn't make it all the way and sometimes would keep going, depending on how I felt. I also sometimes increased or decreased the weight by 5 lbs from set to set if I felt I needed it.

Keep a journal so you remember what you did and so that you can increase your attempts as you improve.

As for what to lift, you can get a preference from some trial and error as well. I preferred machines because they have easy to follow picture directions, don't require a spotter, and I could change weight quickly by moving a pin (if it was too light or too heavy) but you will have to adjust the machine to fit your frame size before you use it and some machines don't adjust as well as others. Other people swear by free weights (plates and bars, or dumbbells or kettle bells) because they use more muscles to "stabilize" the movement and have a greater freedom of movement.

With machines, the rule of thumb my dad told me was to try to gently tap or almost tap the weights to the stack (on a pulley system) when ending each rep. That way you don't slam the things and make an annoying racket that the entire gym can hear. I think this is the machine equal to "don't drop the free weights." That and "remember to breathe."

For anything more detailed, I'd say touch bases with a trainer at your gym (some have a free intro) , watch some Youtube videos, or get a book/website that you like on the topic.
  • mmmyotwnz
    mmmyotwnz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump...going to watch this.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    I was a cardio-gym-rat for 25+ years. But, have completely switched my modus operandi!

Try New Rules of LIfting for Women - it's a great place to start! And, there are LOTS of "groups" here at mfp...."women strength training", as well as "NROL4W" come to mind.