Phentermine... yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I think if it's used as a way to retrain yourself on how to eat healthfully and be active without that pesky hunger getting in the way then it can benefit you. If you use it as a way to drop weight quickly by starving yourself, you are setting yourself up for weight gain after you stop taking it. If anyone thinks they can drop the weight, by taking pills or any other way, and then go back to their old eating habits, they've gotten themselves a permanent ride on the weight loss/weight gain roller coaster.
  • ShellBell4281
    ShellBell4281 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It will work. Yes.

When you stop taking it, it will come back. It helps you lose weight by making you not hungry. It's not a lifestyle change.

Nah, not true. I lost a lot of weight on it and it has yet to come back!
    After I had my kid 9 years ago, I lost 130 pounds. My weight has fluctuated since but I wouldn't consider that gaining the weight back. I have taken Phentermine several times and it helps lose me lose quickly. The weight doesn't come back unless I eat crazy amounts of fast food and candy.
  • nhatalie
    Options
    How do you get Phentermine? is it prescribed by a doctor?

Yes. I go to a dietician and the copay is 25 and phentermine perscription is 20 ( I do not have insurance) Just shop around for dieticians in your area and make sure whoever you go to monitors vitals because if they don't they are putting your health in danger.

Do you have to be in the "overweight" section of the BMI?

I have heard of people that are not in that section getting prescribed it but my doctor you must either be overweight and at high risk for obesity or in the obese category.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I would say a big fat NO! My exDIL spent 6 months in a psych ward because of the stuff...<and yes, she did abuse it...and yes the damn diet doctor kept refilling her prescriptions anyway>. Your body, your choice. Just be aware of what it does to your brain chemistry and the addictive nature.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I'd do it if I needed it.
    But I take E/C and that lets me go all day without eating & then enjoying a nice large meal after my workout before bed.

What is E/C?
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Give this a few hours, this is gonna get good.

BUMP.

PS- You are 18, take your $40 and go to a gym and get friendly with a treadmill and possibly some weights.
  • nhatalie
    Options
    My personal opinion and experience on diet pills is they can be used to be a good jump starter, but ultimately it takes a lot of hard work, a permanent lifestyle change and unfortunately longer than expected to see your final results.

in 2008 I took phentermine, which is a prescription diet pill (dosage 37.5 mg) for approx. 4 weeks, the first week alone I lost 9 lbs., but I didn’t stop there, I started walking every night and got my way up to 5 miles a night, and then started adding yoga and kick boxing into my routine, at the end of 3 1/2 months I had lost 42 lbs. I tracked everything I ate, and of course I had indulgent nights, once in a while on a Saturday night I would eat pint of Ben & jerry's- bad I know but it was my treat and it was probably once every two weeks.
    Phentermine is only supposed to be prescribed or taken for a max of 12 weeks because of the damage it can do to your heart, and eventually they stop doing what they are supposed to do, because just like anything your body builds a tolerance to it. The side effects are almost no appetite at all, jittery feeling and sometimes rapid heartbeat and extreme dry mouth- me, being a weirdo I have a condition called paradoxical affect or something like where everything reacts backwards on me. So I ended up taking the pills at night because they made me so sleepy. The pills kill your appetite, and you literally have to force yourself to eat something at some point because your body does need nutrients.
    I stopped after 4 weeks of taking them but they were enough to get me motivated and wanting to work out. It worked as a jump start for me but they are not a long time solution. Most doctors will want you to check in every week or every two week just so they can monitor how you are doing. I wouldn’t knock you for trying them, just be careful 

Hope this helps!

Glad to hear it worked out for you! I joined a gym and have been going 3 times a week and have been on a calorie defecit diet. :)
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The most important point: WHY are you on furosemide? Do you have a heart or blood pressure condition, or some other fluid-retention problem? THAT needs to be addressed first.

Phentermine (Adipex-PE) is a weight loss drug that has side effects of elevated heart rate, elevated blood pressure (which is why I was prescribed it), and elevated blood sugar. These are INCREDIBLY dangerous if not monitored by a doctor, including sudden cardiac arrest leading to death.

PLEASE tell your dietitian that you are on the furosemide. AND tell the physician that prescribed the lasix that you are/want to take phentermine. These may have a dangerous drug interaction that could kill you, and your medical professionals need to know.
  • inyourdreams71
    inyourdreams71 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Nay.The name brand for this is adipex.Where I live you have to be overweight to get it...You're really only to be on it for 3 weeks out of a year.It is like a pure clean pharm. cut of speed.You need to drink plenty of water to keep from damaging your kidneys.I was on it twice...and lost 14 pounds in 2 weeks.But after you stop taking it the weight comes back.No one could pay me to take it again.
    In some places you can find a doctor that will keep writing scripts for it.It like a 100.00 per script for one month...you get a 30 day supply.If you have high blood pressure it's not a good mix.It can cause your bp to go way up.
  • Micheetah
    Micheetah Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I got an Rx a few weeks ago, but it didn't work for me =( TOTALLY wish it did. I heard friends say they had tons of energy, minimal appetite and all that jazz and was excited. I guess I was the 1 in a hundred bc totally put me in a depression and didnt decrease my appetite at all. I didnt even want to get out of bed. I was at the edge of crying or yelling at any moment, which is not normal for me.

I only lost a .5 lbs in a week =( so it wasn't worth it, I ate less without it.

If it does work for you, I don't see a problem with it for short term use that will hopefully give you the extra push towards healthier living. Def helps if u need to learn portion control I suppose.

As long as your not risking your health, do what works for you. EVERYONE is different. =o)
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It will work. Yes.

When you stop taking it, it will come back. It helps you lose weight by making you not hungry. It's not a lifestyle change.

After I had my kid 9 years ago, I lost 130 pounds. My weight has fluctuated since but I wouldn't consider that gaining the weight back. I have taken Phentermine several times and it helps lose me lose quickly. The weight doesn't come back unless I eat crazy amounts of fast food and candy.

I do not want to come across as rude, but really as a young woman, and as I have said to the OP, what is the big problem with losing weight in a good fashion??? Why do you have to lose `quickly` `several times`???

If being overweight is a problem, sometimes people need to get a head start, but when an 18 year old and a 64 year old resort to drugs, then, really why don`t we all take the quick fix??

Or why don`t we all realise that we over eat and need to exercise more....there are so many fantastic motivational stories on MFP...
  • nhatalie
    Options
    The weight comes back when you stop taking it because once the medication is out of your system, then your appetite goes back to normal, hence the reason why it is a proven fact that lasting weight loss requires a lifestyle change. Pills will give you fast weight loss, as will surgery, but if you don't change the way you eat and your relationship with food, you WILL gain it back.

Right, and the pills help you take control of your appetite, just like pills are used to help people stop smoking and weight loss surgery like the lap band and gastric sleeve.

So why all the hate for pills but no hate for people who had their stomach adjusted? Seriously?

Cubbies you are 36yo and started at 331 lbs nhatalie is 18 years old. I really do not understand how she is unable to go on a calorie deficit and do some exercise without tablets/chemicals??

I started running 3 miles a day and was on weight watchers but I would only lose 2-3lbs a month, seriously. So when I stasrted working I figured it would be muuuch harder to excercise as much and eat 5 small meals a day so I figured if the Phentermine gave me a jumpstart it would be easier to maintain that than to start off so slow and get discouraged... which has happened many times.
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I tried this once a couple years back. I lost about 14 lbs in 2 months, but the side effects sucked for me. It completely stopped me up after about the 3rd week. This is probably TMI but I used to be fairly regular, and after that I have never been the same.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The weight comes back when you stop taking it because once the medication is out of your system, then your appetite goes back to normal, hence the reason why it is a proven fact that lasting weight loss requires a lifestyle change. Pills will give you fast weight loss, as will surgery, but if you don't change the way you eat and your relationship with food, you WILL gain it back.

Right, and the pills help you take control of your appetite, just like pills are used to help people stop smoking and weight loss surgery like the lap band and gastric sleeve.

So why all the hate for pills but no hate for people who had their stomach adjusted? Seriously?

Cubbies you are 36yo and started at 331 lbs nhatalie is 18 years old. I really do not understand how she is unable to go on a calorie deficit and do some exercise without tablets/chemicals??

I started running 3 miles a day and was on weight watchers but I would only lose 2-3lbs a month, seriously. So when I stasrted working I figured it would be muuuch harder to excercise as much and eat 5 small meals a day so I figured if the Phentermine gave me a jumpstart it would be easier to maintain that than to start off so slow and get discouraged... which has happened many times.

OMG 2 to 3lbs a month is great Nhataie and you can do so much more with good eating and exercise...you can work up to 5lbs a month and that is not unreachable..why not do it for yourself and ditch the tabs, really?? What is the big hurry, you are a young girl and can achieve so much if you put your mind to it?
  • xscarletXbegoniasx
    Options
    A warning you don't hear about in the side effects ( read about this after taking these for about a month and then experienced it personally) when you discontinue use you're body starts to crave sugar constantly, which will wreck your waist line. They are a quick fix and can actually make things a lot more difficult when you stop taking them.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I'll pass.
    You might find the product warning helpful....
    Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction while taking phentermine: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:

feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion;
    chest pain, feeling like you might pass out;
    swelling in your ankles or feet;
    pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest;
    confusion or irritability, unusual thoughts or behavior;
    feelings of extreme happiness or sadness; or
    dangerously high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, chest pain, shortness of breath, uneven heartbeats, seizure).
    Less serious side effects of phentermine may include:

feeling restless or hyperactive;
    headache, dizziness, tremors;
    sleep problems (insomnia);
    dry mouth or an unpleasant taste in your mouth;
    diarrhea or constipation, upset stomach; or
    increased or decreased interest in sex, impotence.
    This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.

For Healthcare Professionals

Applies to phentermine: compounding powder, oral capsule, oral capsule extended release, oral tablet, oral tablet disintegrating

Cardiovascular
    Cardiovascular adverse effects may be associated with phentermine. Phentermine generally causes a significant rise in heart rate. Hypertension and arrhythmias may be problematic in susceptible patients. Valvular heart disease has been reported in patients taking phentermine in combination with fenfluramine or dexfenfluramine, but not in patients taking phentermine alone. Analysis of available data suggests that fenfluramine and dexfenfluramine are the causal agents, and both drugs have been withdrawn from the market as of September 15, 1997.

A 37-year-old woman was admitted to the hospital after an episode of ventricular fibrillation. The patient was being treated for moderate obesity and had been taking phentermine hydrochloride, thyroid (USP), and trichlormethiazide. Her previous medical history had been unremarkable. It was suspected that one or more of her medications contributed to the nearly fatal arrhythmia.

Two case reports describe patients using phentermine (one in combination with phendimetrazine) who later developed ischemic cerebrovascular disease. One suffered a cerebral infarct with angiographic evidence of vasculopathy involving multiple vascular beds. The other patient developed headache and a hemisensory disturbance of seven days duration.

A case of fatal pulmonary hypertension has also been reported in a 29-year-old woman 8 months following the use of fenfluramine (of which dexfenfluramine is the dextro isomer) and phentermine for only 23 days. Histopathological findings upon autopsy indicated severe pulmonary hypertension. She did not smoke and had no family history of pulmonary hypertension. No obvious risk factors other than obesity were present, although preexisting disease was not ruled out.

A case of restrictive cardiomyopathy due to endocardial fibrosis after short term use of fenteramine in combination with phentermine has been reported.

Nervous system
    Phentermine produces nervous system stimulation, which may result in tremor, anxiety, restlessness, dizziness, insomnia, euphoria, dysphoria, and headache.

Fifty women with refractory obesity received phentermine resinate for a period of 20 weeks. Three defaulted from the study due to incapacitating headaches without significant change in blood pressure. Two additional patients defaulted due to complaints of irritability.

A double-blind clinical trial of phentermine and fenfluramine involving 81 people with simple obesity reported several CNS complaints from patients taking phentermine resin during the study (twenty six complaints during the first 6 weeks of the study). The number of complaints diminished with time over the course of the study. Only seven complaints of CNS effects were reported at 20 weeks. Complaints reported by patients include sleep difficulties, nervousness, depression, fatigue and increased dreaming.

Psychiatric
    Rarely psychotic episodes have been reported at recommended doses with some sympathomimetic drugs.

Gastrointestinal
    Gastrointestinal adverse effects may include dryness of the mouth, unpleasant taste, diarrhea, and constipation.

Dermatologic
    An allergic reaction resulting in urticaria may occur.

Endocrine
    Endocrine effects such as impotence and changes in libido may occur in patients taking phentermine.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    My friends brother makes literally millions of dollars a year off of that stuff... And I used to work for his other brother... I got it for free, but the stuff made my heart beat out of pace.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I was on it several years ago and lost a bunch of weight. And I want to emphasize weight because I lost both fat and lean mass with how little I was eating on it. After I got off, I gained all plus a lot more back so i'd be cautious with it. Make sure you are eating enough and what you are eating is quality so you can lose fat and try not to lose muscle. Keep acitve on it and change your lifestyle before you get off it.
  • Matador56
    Options
    It will work. Yes.

and it has yet to come back!
    If it it yet to come back? Then why the need to take the pill several times to lose weight quickly several times???
    I have taken Phentermine several times and it helps lose me lose quickly.
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'll pass.
    You might find the product warning helpful....
    Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction while taking phentermine: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:

feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion;
    chest pain, feeling like you might pass out;
    swelling in your ankles or feet;
    pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest;
    confusion or irritability, unusual thoughts or behavior;
    feelings of extreme happiness or sadness; or
    dangerously high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, chest pain, shortness of breath, uneven heartbeats, seizure).
    Less serious side effects of phentermine may include:

feeling restless or hyperactive;
    headache, dizziness, tremors;
    sleep problems (insomnia);
    dry mouth or an unpleasant taste in your mouth;
    diarrhea or constipation, upset stomach; or
    increased or decreased interest in sex, impotence.
    This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.

For Healthcare Professionals

Applies to phentermine: compounding powder, oral capsule, oral capsule extended release, oral tablet, oral tablet disintegrating

Cardiovascular
    Cardiovascular adverse effects may be associated with phentermine. Phentermine generally causes a significant rise in heart rate. Hypertension and arrhythmias may be problematic in susceptible patients. Valvular heart disease has been reported in patients taking phentermine in combination with fenfluramine or dexfenfluramine, but not in patients taking phentermine alone. Analysis of available data suggests that fenfluramine and dexfenfluramine are the causal agents, and both drugs have been withdrawn from the market as of September 15, 1997.

A 37-year-old woman was admitted to the hospital after an episode of ventricular fibrillation. The patient was being treated for moderate obesity and had been taking phentermine hydrochloride, thyroid (USP), and trichlormethiazide. Her previous medical history had been unremarkable. It was suspected that one or more of her medications contributed to the nearly fatal arrhythmia.

Two case reports describe patients using phentermine (one in combination with phendimetrazine) who later developed ischemic cerebrovascular disease. One suffered a cerebral infarct with angiographic evidence of vasculopathy involving multiple vascular beds. The other patient developed headache and a hemisensory disturbance of seven days duration.

A case of fatal pulmonary hypertension has also been reported in a 29-year-old woman 8 months following the use of fenfluramine (of which dexfenfluramine is the dextro isomer) and phentermine for only 23 days. Histopathological findings upon autopsy indicated severe pulmonary hypertension. She did not smoke and had no family history of pulmonary hypertension. No obvious risk factors other than obesity were present, although preexisting disease was not ruled out.

A case of restrictive cardiomyopathy due to endocardial fibrosis after short term use of fenteramine in combination with phentermine has been reported.

Nervous system
    Phentermine produces nervous system stimulation, which may result in tremor, anxiety, restlessness, dizziness, insomnia, euphoria, dysphoria, and headache.

Fifty women with refractory obesity received phentermine resinate for a period of 20 weeks. Three defaulted from the study due to incapacitating headaches without significant change in blood pressure. Two additional patients defaulted due to complaints of irritability.

A double-blind clinical trial of phentermine and fenfluramine involving 81 people with simple obesity reported several CNS complaints from patients taking phentermine resin during the study (twenty six complaints during the first 6 weeks of the study). The number of complaints diminished with time over the course of the study. Only seven complaints of CNS effects were reported at 20 weeks. Complaints reported by patients include sleep difficulties, nervousness, depression, fatigue and increased dreaming.

Psychiatric
    Rarely psychotic episodes have been reported at recommended doses with some sympathomimetic drugs.

Gastrointestinal
    Gastrointestinal adverse effects may include dryness of the mouth, unpleasant taste, diarrhea, and constipation.

Dermatologic
    An allergic reaction resulting in urticaria may occur.

Endocrine
    Endocrine effects such as impotence and changes in libido may occur in patients taking phentermine.

^^^ I'm not promoting diet pill use , but every medication has serious side effects .