Phentermine... yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• Lantzbug
    Options
    I took it about 10 years ago and lost 30 lbs relatively quick. I can't take it now as I get very jittery, I"m unable to swallow and it has caused me to have a problem with heart palpitations even now 10 years later.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    But if she were going to have WLS, everyone would be all, "Yay!!! Good for you!!! Here's a support group." So rearranging your insides to control your hunger = good, but taking a pill that does the same thing without surgery = bad? Yeah, okay. :-P The pill is only for a month or two and doesn't have the same long-lasting side effects.

And don't give me bull about how the surgery is safer. There are lots of risks with WLS as well.

Would not. I would ask her the same questions about controlling her eating and exercising.
    You and your friend do not equal everyone. You are two people. Your evidence is anecdotal.

Check the Success Stories for people who took it the first month or two of their weight loss. I've seen some in there.

The cases I can remember from the Success Stories involving this approach had just reached their GW and had not yet done *any* maintenance. Obviously, I could have overlooked some, but in all/nearly all of cases that *I* can remember, they regained...

...so based on that alone, I'm very comfortable in responding to the OP's question: nay.
  • nhatalie
    Options
    I am loving all of the feedback.. Its awesome to hear both sides! Alot of you seem to think I dont want to diet or excercise... I admit I make bad choices sometimes but 80% of the time I eat good portions, get my servings of fruit and veggies and stay under 1200 calories and work at least 9 hours a day waitressing at TGIFridays (very busy restaurant = lots of walking)! I think my weightloss is so slow because of my PCOS. Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, and Cardiovascular disease run in my family. I have been told for many years that if I dont get into the healthy range fast I will get complcations early. And my grandma died because of obesity related disease. I really want to drop and be HEALTHY. I swear this isn't a lose 30 quick lbs for prom or swimsuit season this is a real deal attempt at a lifestyle change. I am hoping also that while on the Phentermine my stomach will shrink so it will be easier to be full off normal portion sizes because before when I would eat a weight watchers meal my tummy would STILL be grumbling. :/
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I'll pass.
    You might find the product warning helpful....
    Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction while taking phentermine: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:

feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion;
    chest pain, feeling like you might pass out;
    swelling in your ankles or feet;
    pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest;
    confusion or irritability, unusual thoughts or behavior;
    feelings of extreme happiness or sadness; or
    dangerously high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, chest pain, shortness of breath, uneven heartbeats, seizure).
    Less serious side effects of phentermine may include:

feeling restless or hyperactive;
    headache, dizziness, tremors;
    sleep problems (insomnia);
    dry mouth or an unpleasant taste in your mouth;
    diarrhea or constipation, upset stomach; or
    increased or decreased interest in sex, impotence.
    This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.

For Healthcare Professionals

Applies to phentermine: compounding powder, oral capsule, oral capsule extended release, oral tablet, oral tablet disintegrating

Cardiovascular
    Cardiovascular adverse effects may be associated with phentermine. Phentermine generally causes a significant rise in heart rate. Hypertension and arrhythmias may be problematic in susceptible patients. Valvular heart disease has been reported in patients taking phentermine in combination with fenfluramine or dexfenfluramine, but not in patients taking phentermine alone. Analysis of available data suggests that fenfluramine and dexfenfluramine are the causal agents, and both drugs have been withdrawn from the market as of September 15, 1997.

A 37-year-old woman was admitted to the hospital after an episode of ventricular fibrillation. The patient was being treated for moderate obesity and had been taking phentermine hydrochloride, thyroid (USP), and trichlormethiazide. Her previous medical history had been unremarkable. It was suspected that one or more of her medications contributed to the nearly fatal arrhythmia.

Two case reports describe patients using phentermine (one in combination with phendimetrazine) who later developed ischemic cerebrovascular disease. One suffered a cerebral infarct with angiographic evidence of vasculopathy involving multiple vascular beds. The other patient developed headache and a hemisensory disturbance of seven days duration.

A case of fatal pulmonary hypertension has also been reported in a 29-year-old woman 8 months following the use of fenfluramine (of which dexfenfluramine is the dextro isomer) and phentermine for only 23 days. Histopathological findings upon autopsy indicated severe pulmonary hypertension. She did not smoke and had no family history of pulmonary hypertension. No obvious risk factors other than obesity were present, although preexisting disease was not ruled out.

A case of restrictive cardiomyopathy due to endocardial fibrosis after short term use of fenteramine in combination with phentermine has been reported.

Nervous system
    Phentermine produces nervous system stimulation, which may result in tremor, anxiety, restlessness, dizziness, insomnia, euphoria, dysphoria, and headache.

Fifty women with refractory obesity received phentermine resinate for a period of 20 weeks. Three defaulted from the study due to incapacitating headaches without significant change in blood pressure. Two additional patients defaulted due to complaints of irritability.

A double-blind clinical trial of phentermine and fenfluramine involving 81 people with simple obesity reported several CNS complaints from patients taking phentermine resin during the study (twenty six complaints during the first 6 weeks of the study). The number of complaints diminished with time over the course of the study. Only seven complaints of CNS effects were reported at 20 weeks. Complaints reported by patients include sleep difficulties, nervousness, depression, fatigue and increased dreaming.

Psychiatric
    Rarely psychotic episodes have been reported at recommended doses with some sympathomimetic drugs.

Gastrointestinal
    Gastrointestinal adverse effects may include dryness of the mouth, unpleasant taste, diarrhea, and constipation.

Dermatologic
    An allergic reaction resulting in urticaria may occur.

Endocrine
    Endocrine effects such as impotence and changes in libido may occur in patients taking phentermine.

^^^ I'm not promoting diet pill use , but every medication has serious side effects .

Which is why you should only take them when really needed and prescribed by a physician.

(and I worked for a pure Pharma company for over 14 years)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    It will work. Yes.

When you stop taking it, it will come back. It helps you lose weight by making you not hungry. It's not a lifestyle change.

It doesn't always come back. That's like saying it always comes back after weight loss surgery too. There are people on this site who've lost weight through weight loss surgery and phentermine and have kept it off for months/years.

Surgery that makes a stomach smaller is not the same as a pill that makes you not hungry while you take it. When you stop taking it, you get hungry more. It doesn't cause a habit of not eating. So you don't change your lifestyle, and it will come back. It's common sense.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I am loving all of the feedback.. Its awesome to hear both sides! Alot of you seem to think I dont want to diet or excercise... I admit I make bad choices sometimes but 80% of the time I eat good portions, get my servings of fruit and veggies and stay under 1200 calories and work at least 9 hours a day waitressing at TGIFridays (very busy restaurant = lots of walking)! I think my weightloss is so slow because of my PCOS. Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, and Cardiovascular disease run in my family. I have been told for many years that if I dont get into the healthy range fast I will get complcations early. And my grandma died because of obesity related disease. I really want to drop and be HEALTHY. I swear this isn't a lose 30 quick lbs for prom or swimsuit season this is a real deal attempt at a lifestyle change. I am hoping also that while on the Phentermine my stomach will shrink so it will be easier to be full off normal portion sizes because before when I would eat a weight watchers meal my tummy would STILL be grumbling. :/

I do understand your desire to lose weight and become healthier, and I admire and respect you for this decision. However, I don't understand why you would be "okay" with the super thirst, rapid heartbeat and the other potentially serious side effects this drug can give you, when simply eating healthier foods and exercising would be successful over time?

Your weight didn't magically appear on your frame one day - it happened over a long time. Why do you think you should lose it quickly, and the only way to do so is by altering your body and brain chemistry to do it?

True it is your body, but there are better ways to lose weight than by taking a pill, or trying some weird fad diet, supplements, starvation, deprivation, etc. It is through proper eating and exercising - and those two things are virtually risk free.

Our bodies tell us when we are in pain, we are thirsty, we are hungry, etc. That's the beauty of being alive. Why mess with that and shut off those signals?
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I started phentermine 37.5mg paired with furosemide 20mg 6 days ago. ( I think I will quit taking the furosemide because of all the health precautions) I have lost 7lbs in this time span... I am floored. :noway: I know the weight loss won't be this fast all the way through and will eventually start to plateau but it is a noticeable difference and has helped me pushed myself because i want to see what the next 7lbs will look like and so forth. :love: I have NO appetite at all. I must force myself to eat at all, but I am drinking a lot of water due to dry mouth because of the Phentermine.

So, I said all of that to ask if anyone else is on Phentermine? How much excercise do you get daily? Are you having any side effects?
    This medication has pros and cons. But first, the furosemide... it's a diruetic, a "water pill," which partly explains your rapid weight loss and is often the first medication prescribed for people whose blood pressure is high to eliminate extra water from their circulation, lowering their blood pressure. That's fine for people who have high blood pressure, but if you don't, you might end up dehydrated or fainting. I'd be just as careful with that as the phentermine. Now the phentermine...it's a stimulant, in the category of amphetamines, and if you were to be drug-tested it would come up positive for that. It can cause all the symptoms others here have reported, including increased blood pressure and decreased circulation to the periphery of your body and your vital organs. The combination of that with the furosemide will dry you out as you have noted. It is possible to become dependent on the phentermine, and it is true that your appetite, at least your physical appetite will return when you stop taking it. You need to plan to take it for a limited amount of time, take a holiday here and there from it and learn to eat the amounts of the most nutrient dense food possible that will help you lose the weight you want to lose while maintaining your health. The man who said he added lots of fruits and vegetables to provide fiber and fluid to avoid constipation from this drug did exactly the right thing not only to ameliorate the symptom, but to create a healthy habit that will keep you full and regular while providing lots of nutrients, and ultimately helping you stop taking the drug so you can normalize your food intake and behavior regarding it. Weight loss and maintenance has a lot to do with what goes on in your head that translates into behavior. Pay attention to that now and work on changing what needs to be changed, then stop taking the phentermine.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    Just like any other diet or medication the weight will come back if you don't change your eating habits. Let's say you stop taking that pill and your appetite returns, later you choose to eat crap and binge than of course the weight will come back. If you pick up healthy eating habits while taking the pill, and plan to continue those once you're off the pill the weight will come off or you'll maintain! I should look into that too...

This exactly.
  • nhatalie
    Options

I do understand your desire to lose weight and become healthier, and I admire and respect you for this decision. However, I don't understand why you would be "okay" with the super thirst, rapid heartbeat and the other potentially serious side effects this drug can give you, when simply eating healthier foods and exercising would be successful over time?

Your weight didn't magically appear on your frame one day - it happened over a long time. Why do you think you should lose it quickly, and the only way to do so is by altering your body and brain chemistry to do it?

True it is your body, but there are better ways to lose weight than by taking a pill, or trying some weird fad diet, supplements, starvation, deprivation, etc. It is through proper eating and exercising - and those two things are virtually risk free.

Our bodies tell us when we are in pain, we are thirsty, we are hungry, etc. That's the beauty of being alive. Why mess with that and shut off those signals?

But that's the thing, dry lips is my ONLY side effect. And the weight gain did happen rapidly. Not over time. On graduation day (May 25th 2012) I was 170. I hit 215 by Halloween 2012. So I've gotten down to 202 by diet and excercise... But now I just want a little boost. :(
  • nitrogen_widget
    nitrogen_widget Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Ephedrine/caffeine.
    I'd do it if I needed it.
    But I take E/C and that lets me go all day without eating & then enjoying a nice large meal after my workout before bed.

What is E/C?
  • babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people attack Hydroxycut and everything that doesn't have addictive drugs in it but there are less people around saying that it's bad to take a drug that has AMPHETAMINES in it. Seriously, people?
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Ephedrine/caffeine.
    I'd do it if I needed it.
    But I take E/C and that lets me go all day without eating & then enjoying a nice large meal after my workout before bed.

What is E/C?

Thank you.
  • Ploogy
    Ploogy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Phentermine is pharmacologically similar to amphetamine, and is a powerful stimulant. I wouldn't resort to these medications unless it was a last resort. The last thing you need is to deluge yourself with elevated blood pressure and the addictive potential of these psychoactive drugs.

Be careful. Just because a doctor prescribes it, does not mean it is safe. This is an unfortunate reality in a medical system built upon big business.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    The weight comes back when you stop taking it because once the medication is out of your system, then your appetite goes back to normal, hence the reason why it is a proven fact that lasting weight loss requires a lifestyle change. Pills will give you fast weight loss, as will surgery, but if you don't change the way you eat and your relationship with food, you WILL gain it back.

Right, and the pills help you take control of your appetite, just like pills are used to help people stop smoking and weight loss surgery like the lap band and gastric sleeve.

So why all the hate for pills but no hate for people who had their stomach adjusted? Seriously?

"Phentermine is a stimulant that is similar to an amphetamine. Phentermine is an appetite suppressant that affects the central nervous system."

Because it's speed, that's why. If I came on here and said "hey guys, I started smoking meth to speed up my weight loss. I've lost ten pounds in a week!" What would everyone say?
  • bwcrouch
    bwcrouch Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    How do you get Phentermine? is it prescribed by a doctor?

Yes. I go to a dietician and the copay is 25 and phentermine perscription is 20 ( I do not have insurance) Just shop around for dieticians in your area and make sure whoever you go to monitors vitals because if they don't they are putting your health in danger.

Do you have to be in the "overweight" section of the BMI?

If I remember correctly, you have to have a BMI over 30
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The weight comes back when you stop taking it because once the medication is out of your system, then your appetite goes back to normal, hence the reason why it is a proven fact that lasting weight loss requires a lifestyle change. Pills will give you fast weight loss, as will surgery, but if you don't change the way you eat and your relationship with food, you WILL gain it back.

Right, and the pills help you take control of your appetite, just like pills are used to help people stop smoking and weight loss surgery like the lap band and gastric sleeve.

So why all the hate for pills but no hate for people who had their stomach adjusted? Seriously?

"Phentermine is a stimulant that is similar to an amphetamine. Phentermine is an appetite suppressant that affects the central nervous system."

Because it's speed, that's why. If I came on here and said "hey guys, I started smoking meth to speed up my weight loss. I've lost ten pounds in a week!" What would everyone say?

From what I've seen here, at least a dozen people would respond with something like, "Congrats! WTG! You have to find what works for you! We're all unique!"
  • 141by2016
    Options

If you have a family history of Cardiovascular Disease you have no business taking these. Don't have a heart attack.

Also, you are probably not eating enough. If you are eating 1200 or less and exercising you may have inadvertently slowed your metabolism. Try a few weeks at maintenance, then TDEE -20%. Best of luck, and I really hope you chose not to damage your heart just to get there faster.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Pharm student here.

What are your concerns with Furosemide? Im assuming you are on them for some form of cardiovascular problem, which can lead to so many secondary problems if left untreated. If you want to message me or just reply to this, Id really like to know why you feel you dont want to take it anymore, as this is a very important maintence drug. Also, ensure that you are checking your blood pressure regularly, most pharmacies/grocery stores have a free to use monitor. You do not want to risk having a serious problem due to high blood pressure or heart failure, and Id like to offer any explaination that I can.

If you do decide to quit taking the Furosemide, please talk to your primary physician before doing so, not just your dietician. As I said, this is a very important maintenance drug, and I want to ensure that you are not putting yourself at risk
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    1. Nay.
    2. I'm betting at least 85% of your weight lost is water. It's always like that in the beginning.
    3. Yes, you may get complications due to your other health problems, but you're 18 years old. You may have problems earlier if you stay overweight, but very unlikely in the next couple years if you exercise and eat right (and if you do, you could get down to a healthy weight before you're old enough to drink.) And if you have diabetes and similar then a healthy diet (as in what you eat, not "diet" the way most Americans use it) is much more important.
    4. I'm also curious about you saying you have high blood pressure but you're taking this drug. Huh. I had heart palpitations and various other health problems (recently had my stress test and myocardiogram with thankfully was normal) and was told to avoid even chocolate because of the caffeine. Pretty sure my doctor would've fainted if I told him I had been on pretty much an amphetamine.

But seriously, you're 18. You have time to do it without stimulants and I really don't see the point of you taking it. You're probably putting yourself at a greater risk for problems then by losing weight slowly with your current health issues (and I would seriously second guess going to a doctor who would put an 18 year old on it who honestly doesn't have that much weight to lose. Major side-eye.)