Eating every couple of hours??

Options
13»

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    didn't read every response, so forgive me if i'm repeating anything.

the way i understand it, there is no scientific backing to the theory that eating several small meals throughout the day "revs up" your metabolism or anything like that. you use the same amount of energy to burn 1500 calories whether you eat them all at once, or throughout the day. but, if you are a person who likes to eat often (like me) then it makes more sense to have a little bit of food every 1-2 hours. it keeps me from getting bored (and helps me eat enough, particularly on days where i exercise intensely). if you are the kind of person that would rather eat three large meals, then do that. if you are a fan of snacking, then do that. as long as you plan your caloires, it doesn't matter how long or how often you eat or go without food.
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I would trust what people who study this topic for a living say. Lots of research is out there and there is not a lot of debate about except from the amateurs.

Okay, so are you going to share what your research into the research showed?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. He may prefer eating every few hours, and that is fine, but it certainly isn't the way you 'have to eat'
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I eat what a normal person may eat in one sitting, but I eat it every few hours. So I pack my lunch which today is cucumber tomato salad, and avocado, and non fat plain greek yogurt with fresh berries on top. I am here at work for 13 hours. So I ate the yogurt at 3 hours in, the bigger portion of my meal is my salad so i hold out 3 or 4 more hoursm then i'll eat my avocado 3 hours after than. I eat a normal low cal/healthy dinner after work and a smaller breakfast (1/4 cup oatmeal with berries) before work.
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have trouble controlling my portion size if I don't eat frequently. I eat six times per day to help with hunger. If I am never feel starving then I don't binge. Just find what works fo ryou.
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Everyone most certaintly has their own opinion on this and hey whatever works one may not work for another. With that said.........

I like to eat every 3 hours ish when I'm at work. My reasoning is because my job a lot of the time leaves me with down time and I am a bordom eater so If I eat breakfast then three hours later eat a small 100ish calories snack then three hours later eat lunch I won't be so compelled to snack.

However, on days I don't work and I have class or I'm off class and work and actually doing things I might not be so strict on this because when I'm busy I don't often think about eating unless I'm hungry and my body is telling me so.

I guess I kinda do both, I do what works for me. I just try my best to not let myself get super freaking hungry so that when I do finally eat I'm stuffing myself way to full. :) Good luck finding what works best for you.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Whatever fits your lifestyle and allows you to reach your calorie and exercise goals is what you should do. Whether it be 50 cals every 30 minutes, 300 cals every 3 hours, 500 cals every 5 hours, or a one a day trough of baked beans with a dead dog at each end for garnish.

There's no point in trying to eat six meals a day if the reality is that it means it doesn't fit your lifestyle and you end up missing meals and then overeating at the next one. Tell your son and husband that just because it works for them, doesn't mean it works for you, and you'll get your calories your way.

:laugh: This!

I am not a morning person and the thought of breakfast makes me gag. I have my morning cup of tea with milk then I eat lunch at 11:30, dinner at 5:30 and a decent protein rich snack around 9:30, to use up the rest of my calories. I only snack between meals if I am genuinely hungry. I lost over 100 pounds eating this way so it works for me :wink:
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person, their goals and their eating style.

I am a snacker. I'd rather eat often than a few larger meals. When I was losing I ate about 5 times a day. Now I eat about 7-8 times a day or about every 2 hours, but never really what anyone would call a full meal - a salad or veg here, a fruit there, some oatmeal, a protein shake, a Quest bar (every day - it's my addiction), some nut butter or nuts...

There's no 'better' way. No magic to eating often or eating 3 times a day. What works with your schedule and makes you happy within your calories and macros? Do that.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    It takes getting used to if you've never done it before, but eating 5-6 times throughout your day is much better for your metabolism

False, it does nothing for your metabolism, that's an old diet myth.

Again, do what works for your own body, there is no one path.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good idea to eat every couple of hours. Keeps your metabolism running on high and tends to help with over eating.
    Wrong. Your metabolism doesn't stop/slow just because you aren't eating.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hours keeps your metabolism running. It is a good way to stay healthy and lose weight.
    Wrong. Your metabolism doesn't slow/stop just because you aren't eating.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    you should eat 3 main meals every day and Breakfast IS the MOST important! Then 3 snacks in between.

read Forks Over Knives.
    Why? Why should I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks, and why is breakfast the most important?

Forks over Knives, huh? I'll assume that falls into the category of outdated and/or misinformed reference material.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    It takes getting used to if you've never done it before, but eating 5-6 times throughout your day is much better for your metabolism and insulin levels. It keeps your body satisfied longer, which will keep you from getting "cravings" and binge eating. Also, eating at the same times every day helps your body know when it is going to get food, so it can prepare more efficiently. I eat 5 times a day, plus pre/post work out snacks and I am never hungry, and never get cravings. Cravings, in my opinion, are what people use as excuses to binge on whatever they want. If you eat often, eat balanced meals, your body won't crave things because it is getting everything it needs.
    Better for your metabolism? No.
    Better for insulin levels? Maybe, maybe not. Why is insulin so bad though?
    Not everyone has problems with cravings, and eating more or less often has little to do with if/who gets them.
    Your body has to prepare to receive food?
    Again with the cravings thing?
  • shellylee77
    Options
    Personally I feel better eating 5-6 times a day. Eating ofter keeps me from starving from one meal to the next. But to each their own. This is my first week so maybe in month I'll wean my self down to 3.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    It takes getting used to if you've never done it before, but eating 5-6 times throughout your day is much better for your metabolism and insulin levels. It keeps your body satisfied longer, which will keep you from getting "cravings" and binge eating. Also, eating at the same times every day helps your body know when it is going to get food, so it can prepare more efficiently. I eat 5 times a day, plus pre/post work out snacks and I am never hungry, and never get cravings. Cravings, in my opinion, are what people use as excuses to binge on whatever they want. If you eat often, eat balanced meals, your body won't crave things because it is getting everything it needs.

Actually what you are saying is a complete myth.
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating 6 times a day I took it one step further

I now eat in one large meal that lasts from 6am-11pm
    Of course I had to increase the number of calories I eat to compensate, but it is ok because my metabolism is so high now