Can people REALLY be motivated by someone else?

Options
olDave
olDave Posts: 557 Member
Or....does something INSIDE of each person have to "click" to change long-held behaviors? I believe it's the latter.

Your thoughts please.

Replies

• michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    others might be able to encourage you...but yes, if you don't WANT it for yourself, it won't happen....
  • Kimjanebrooks
    Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I think it's a bit of both. I find all my friends on here keep me going when I feel like throwing in the towel on a bad day, but also think that button has to click inside too!
  • kbelliot
    kbelliot Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree that somthing has to "click" within the person initially, but other people can help a person to stay motivated in their quest to lose weight. That's what I have found to be true for myself. I like reading the success stories because they help me to keep going when I am feeling weak or discouraged. :smile:
  • dwood1976
    dwood1976 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I believe it's both. At least for me it is. I quit smoking because my mom died from smoking related illness. That was when something clicked inside of me.
    For weight loss, I've always been kind of lazy about it. I've never really had any trouble before, but I'm older, quit smoking, had my second child and it is challenging this time! A friend and co-worker of mine has motivated me to get serious about working out because I see her progress. She has lost almost 70lbs and looks amazing! I only want to lose about half that amount total. Her and I talk about our work out sessions, I borrow DVD's from her, she asks me how my work out went yesterday. I honestly feel guilty if I have to tell her I didn't do it. So, in that situation, yes I think people REALLY can be motivated by someone else!
  • suewestcountry
    suewestcountry Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think its a bit of both my friend carol really inspired me to start losing weight as well as encouraging me to do it, once I started my whole mind set became different. If Im out and I see someone eating in the street for instance I automatically think how many calories they are putting in their mouths. Where as before I used to think "Oh I would like one of those it looks nice" I look at everything differently and Im really glad that carol motivated me into getting my *kitten* into gear before its too late.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    BOTH!!
  • bailuna
    Options
    I think it's a bit of both. Personally, something had to click with me to GET motivated. But other people definitely help me STAY motivated.

Other people can't change you, you can change you. But others can help.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I needed that 'click'. For me the trigger was a couple of stays in hospital (even though non-weight related), coupled with my cholesterol levels going through the roof. Scared the *kitten* out of me, and made me realize my own mortality, and that I had to take action.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Both... you have to want it... but seeing other people that have gotten healthy is a huge motivations, particularly if they were in worse shape than you to begin with... It is kind of like a "wow if they can do it, I can do it too"
  • _Brighid_
    Options
    Both .... it has to "click" to make a change, especially a lifetime change. However, seeing someone in the same boat as you who is successful can help you envision your goals as possible.
  • TCondor
    Options
    Most definately both. You have to want to do this for yourself, of course. But having someone to do it with, or for, is a huge motivation. My wife & I are doing this together and we really keep each other going, especially when one of us feels like throwing in the towel.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I think it's all from inside the person. Other people can cause you to change how you think about yourself, so you get the motivation to change, but ultimately it comes from inside you. People who only try to change for other people give up after a while and usually totally resent making any changes at all.

Other people can keep you accountable though, which is not the same as motivating you.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I think you can be motivated by someone else but of course you have to do the work yourself.

I always considered myself to be bad at math, so I didn't bother trying. I barely passed every year.

In high school I was in Algebra I, and my teacher started pointing out my "work" to the class. She would hold up my homework or test paper and make comments about it. That motivated me. I wanted to make it stop. So I got to work and aced that class.
  • KlaMorgan
    KlaMorgan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i would say both. you definetly have to want it for yourself for you to acheive your goals.
    but my husband is my biggest motivator.
  • stimberlake14
    stimberlake14 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I say it's a bit of both, and it also depends on what motivates you. I mean, come on, who hasn't worked extra hard because one of the other moms at your kids school or in your neighborhood has that smug look on her face, and you want to show her up by being in better shape? I know I have. Proving others wrong has always been a great motivator for me. On the other hand, if I didn't want it for myself as well, I guess there's not enough motivation in the world to get me off the couch!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think it's both. Certainly a person has to want to change before they will. But just as certainly it's possible for someone else to motivate that change. And even more possible for people to help keep each other motivated once the decision to change is made.
  • Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    We're Social Animals our behaviors and motivations are more strongly impacted by our environments than we ever want to admit. Ultimately it's a meaningless question since whether or not a person even has the self awareness to "flip the switch" would depend on whether people in their past taught them to incorporate that level of self determination into their personality.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Or....does something INSIDE of each person have to "click" to change long-held behaviors? I believe it's the latter.

Your thoughts please.

I let others inspire me. I have to be my OWN motivator though. Cause ain't nobody else telling me to put the Nutella down at random times of the day and get my butt moving. But yes, having others on board does and will help. We didn't learn crappy eating habits by ourselves, right? People are where it's at. Just make a decision to set yourself on a course, find people that will inspire and support you and who are on that course themselves, and get to it.
  • Aeriesified
    Aeriesified Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Someone can be your inspiration, but at the end of the day, you have to know it's in you to get where you want to be.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Has to come from within. Once you are motivated, you can find inspiration in others but without your own motivation, you won't ever get anywhere.