Next step after c25k, if I don't want to increase distance?

Options
2»

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    How about the Jillian micheal 30 day shred or Chalean extreme? More weights are incorporated and great for people just getting in the groove of working out everyday. Take care!

An interesting alternative, but I'm a little concerned about the interaction with my lifting days. I don't want to overwork by incorporating too much weight in cardio too. Or is it low intensity enough to not be an issue? Seems like it could turn into an injury risk (for me, personally).
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Both options will improve your cardiovascular fitness levels, both will involve your either increasing speed or distance (or a combination of the two) to at least some degree. I would personally mix the two up for some variety.throw in some hill work as well perhaps.

However, I think you might want to consider carefully what your goals here will be. Most runners will push themselves week after week to try and go further or faster. Neither of these goals really seem to fit well with you (not in any way a criticism, merely an observation)

Thus far, you have been challenged with c25k. Now you've completed that what goal do you want to achieve next? I think you run a real risk of boredom if you don't move on in some way from the 5k. Perhaps you could mix up the running with other forms of cardio? Maybe some cycling or swimming. Maybe put the three together here and look at a triathlon? Take a class maybe? Push yourself a little further and look at some local races? Running club?

Speaking from a personal perspective, as a graduate of c25k myself, if I had just stayed with the 5k or, say 30 minsrun, even though my ultimate goal was (and still is to some extent) to lose weight and maintain / increase fitness, it would have become very very boring extremely quickly if I hadn't increased my distances, changed routes and worked towards getting faster.

A very thoughtful response, thank you.

You are right that I'm likely to get bored with running if I can't find another way to challenge myself with it. I've never been a fan of working out for the sake of working out, and previously when I've been in shape it's been through martial arts. Unfortunately I've yet to find an MA club in my current area that I'm interested in.

We do have a well respected triathlon here, so adding in cycling and swimming is a possibility, I guess. Though I'm thinking it would again require quite an increased time commitment to cardio. Food for thought for sure.

I think that likely I'll work on maintaining the 5k for a while, to consolidate my progress to date, and use that time to consider the options presented. I don't think I'll drop running altogether, and I probably will try to increase my pace a little, but I may drop the frequency and add something else in. Still not sure what, but I have options thanks to you lovely people.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Work on speed or running uphill.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Regarding increasing speed, I was considering doing it with a similar interval approach to that used by the C25k program itself. Except instead of run/walk intervals, I'd do normal pace/higher pace intervals, and then gradually move to doing the full 5k at the higher pace. Does that sound like a reasonable approach?
    There are several different components to being able to run faster.
    Aerobic Capacity (This is the most important part) - Run 5k, or preferably longer, at an easy pace once a week.
    Lactate Threshold - Run for 20 min at a hard but sustainable pace once a week. Warm up and cool down on either side of the hard part.
    Speed/VO2max - Run 2 to 5 minute intervals at a very hard pace once a week. Rest by walking or jogging for about equal time between each hard part.

SInce you are not doing a lot of easy runs to support this be careful as the injury risk is high, especially with the speed work.

Ideally you should really just focus on easy runs for a while to build aerobic capacity and also strengthen the leg muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bones for running. If you feel good just pick up the pace in an unstructured way until you need to slow down again. The injury risk is a lot lower doing this.
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Regarding increasing speed, I was considering doing it with a similar interval approach to that used by the C25k program itself. Except instead of run/walk intervals, I'd do normal pace/higher pace intervals, and then gradually move to doing the full 5k at the higher pace. Does that sound like a reasonable approach?
    There are several different components to being able to run faster.
    Aerobic Capacity (This is the most important part) - Run 5k, or preferably longer, at an easy pace once a week.
    Lactate Threshold - Run for 20 min at a hard but sustainable pace once a week. Warm up and cool down on either side of the hard part.
    Speed/VO2max - Run 2 to 5 minute intervals at a very hard pace once a week. Rest by walking or jogging for about equal time between each hard part.

SInce you are not doing a lot of easy runs to support this be careful as the injury risk is high, especially with the speed work.

Ideally you should really just focus on easy runs for a while to build aerobic capacity and also strengthen the leg muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bones for running. If you feel good just pick up the pace in an unstructured way until you need to slow down again. The injury risk is a lot lower doing this.

I'm glad I did a search before starting another thread. This sounds like very sound advice and what I'm looking for. I just wanted to say thanks for passing on the knowledge.