Proponents of 5+ meals a day

Options
Seems to be a lot of this today. This is a serious question - do you have jobs?

I do not see how I could possibly have time to prepare and eat five or six meals a day. And that's with a really flexible job, working from home. I don't see how someone working a retail, service, or manual labor job could be expected to do it at all, unless they had a really super cool boss. Back when I ran a store, I wouldn't have been cool with my staff taking so many 'lunch' breaks during the day, and I like to think I was a pretty easy going boss.

Lifestyle is the single most important factor in determining eating habits. Telling people that it's important to eat six meals a day, when it's simply not possible for them to fit that into their lifestyle, does them a massive disservice, in my opinion.

Replies

• steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I eat 6 times per day, but not full meals. I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks. My snacks consist of Greek yogurt, fruit, or veggies. Sometimes I have something sweet and more indulgent. I have a full time job and have no problem. I just eat my snacks while I work. It works for me, but everyone is different.
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    i dont think i could do it if i didn't have a desk job. Like steph1278 I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks as well. It feels like I'm always eating but then again I'm not starving either
  • thenewchiz
    Options
    I say all the time that I don't eat, I graze. I "graze" at least 5 or 6 times a day. But one of those "meals" might be an apple with a little smear of peanut butter, a handful of nuts and raisins, or a BS chicken breast. It doesn't have to be a huge sit down meal. Now...if I could just get myself to log my food better!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a desk job. I keep healthy snacks around and eat at 7am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 5pm and a light snack before bed. Everyday. It's really not that hard.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a desk job. I keep healthy snacks around and eat at 7am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 5pm and a light snack before bed. Everyday. It's really not that hard.

I tried having two lunches, but it just didn't work out for me. I'd either miss the 11am 'lunch 1' and end up having just one lunch, or worse I'd miss the 2pm 'lunch 2', and end up so hungry by dinner time that I started sizing up the family :laugh:

Of course, if it works for you, it's absolutely what you should do. I've just not been able to make it work, and wondered how others did.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I eat:

8AM: Breakfast (ODwalla bar, oatmeal, etc)
    9:30AM: fruit
    11: an egg
    12: Lunch
    2:30PM: Another egg
    5: Dinner

I may insert a snack between the afternoon snack and dinner if I am hungry/just worked out. If I workout after dinner, i may do some piece of protein afterwards. I am a scarfer downer, and I have found that trickle eating has kept me from bingeing at meal times.

(But I work an office job)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I usually eat about 5 meals a day. I'm a proponent of people eating at a frequency that makes sense and feels right to them.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I prepare 3 of my meals the night before and pack them up in my cooler. It's really not that difficult to portion out some chicken and veggies or whatever and reheat them.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I eat:

8AM: Breakfast (ODwalla bar, oatmeal, etc)
    9:30AM: fruit
    11: an egg
    12: Lunch
    2:30PM: Another egg
    5: Dinner

I may insert a snack between the afternoon snack and dinner if I am hungry/just worked out. If I workout after dinner, i may do some piece of protein afterwards. I am a scarfer downer, and I have found that trickle eating has kept me from bingeing at meal times.

(But I work an office job)

To me, this is just eating three meals a day and snacking (I know you never said it was anything different). I kinda do this. If I'm hungry mid-morning, or mid-afternoon, I snack. A handful of almonds is typically my go-to.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    1. Protein Shake with peanut butter and almond milk
    2. Cheese or cottage cheese snack or some other protein
    3. meat and veggie lunch
    4. Cheese or cottage cheese snack or some other protein
    5. Protein Shake with peanut butter and almond milk
    6. Meat and veggie for dinner
    7. Maybe some more protein to nibble on. Depends.

Only 3 meals take place at work. First shake is while driving. Lunch is prepared the night before. I do have a desk job so maybe that helps too. Really though how long does it take to eat a couple ounces of cheese? I'm sure plenty of people who "can't eat that many meals a day" are running to the snack machine around 2pm.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I think it's a mindset thing. I definitely eat 5-6 times a day but I think of it as 3 meals plus snacks. I think if I thought of them all as meals, then I might make healthier choices for snacks. I tend to think of a snack as something junky or indulgent! I'm trying to move toward the meal mindset, although I will still just "cook" three meals. The others will have to be convenient! When we cut calories we have to make ALL the ones we eat count nutritionally.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I usually eat about 5 meals a day. I'm a proponent of people eating at a frequency that makes sense and feels right to them.

I laugh at zee 5 mealz a day and raise you three. I average 7-8 meals a day. I have a desk job, I workout for an hour a day, and instead of watching any kind of tv, I prepare my meals for the next day to include breakfast and lunch for work.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

I laugh at zee 5 mealz a day and raise you three. I average 7-8 meals a day. I have a desk job, I workout for an hour a day, and instead of watching any kind of tv, I prepare my meals for the next day to include breakfast and lunch for work.

Your metabolizms must be supercharged! :drinker:
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options

THIS THIS THIS!!!! I remember never having time to work out and never being prepared for lunch the next day so I just got fast food. One day I cut off my cable. Guess what, lots of time seemed to magically free up.
  • Gusman14
    Options
    I work a full time job (desk work) and go to college full time. I break my day into 3 meals and 3 snacks. The snacks come after the meals but only when I feel hungry and only after I have had at least 4 cups of water since the last meal. I find the snack quantity of food goes down if I have had my 4 cups of water after the meal. So I would not say they are 5+ meals but 5+ feedings. Working out good so far.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The problem here is the lack of definition of the word "meal". To the OP this seems to mean going to the stove and cooking a balanced meal!

Not so!!!

Get a small Tupperware type box and fill it with food for the day, then pick at it once every 2 hours.

I am on Atkins so in my box you will find

cold roast meats
    cherry tomatoes
    Polish sausage
    hard boiled eggs
    cubes of cheese
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    5+ meals don't have to be a fuss.

On Sunday, you can cook some meals for the next week, like some 300 calories/portion dinners and lunches . You can pack all kind off nuts (buy bulk, weight and save portions) and they can be a meal. Some meals may be yoghurt and fruits which you just get from a fridge and eat. Packing carots and celeries + some hummus for a meal should not take more than 5 minutes (even with peeling and slicing carots). Even with a 9 to 5 job, with 2 hours of commuting, you can grill some chicken everynight and toss a salad. Making a wrap with turey ham, low fat cream cheese and cucumbers is another 5 minutes job (tops).
    And so on.

It's just prepation. 5 meals don't have to be 5 very complicated dishes. They can be simple things mostly, with maybe 1-2 elaborate meals.
  • jackzlukasik
    jackzlukasik Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I work in an office so I find it's relatively easy to eat on time most days. I have to eat small things all day or I will binge at some point later in the day and just lost control. My snacks are an egg, an orange, cereal/granola bar, or a small bag of ryvita/sun bites, etc. I find that having those between meals or before bed keeps me from feeling hungry or bingeing at meal time. My breakfast is eaten on the go (normally a homemade quiche muffin all made at the weekend). My lunch is made at the weekend too (slow-cooked stew or sauce with rice or pasta that is cooked the night before and reheated at work). My dinner is toast with lunch meat or naan bread with a spread (taramasalata, cream cheese and salmon). I am running out of the office at some point at least once a day and I think this works great. I find the key is preparing food that can last you all week and having foods you can eat while walking or typing so it doesn't cut into what you already doing. That way you won't need to take more than your usual lunch break.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

I raise you two more meals.

I sacrifice my time messing around on fitness forums to cook all my meals.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    I don't have any rules about this. When I first started losing, I tried the 5-6 planned "meals" . It was exhausting, and I tended to overeat in general, and thought about food all the time.

Now I eat twice a day, sometimes three times...depending on the size of my second meal. I get hungry some days mid-day. Some days, I can just have a tiny snack mid-day...so it depends.