Giving up Sodas

Options

Replies

• breajohnson
    breajohnson Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    i have gone 1 month without sodas. i was a 5-6 glass a day drinker. lol i quit cold turkey but i just made up my mind that the sugar was just so bad for me. and it really wasnt that difficult once i made up my mind.
  • styledsky
    styledsky Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a common thing. I've been through the gamut of drinking WAY too much (it's embarassing to admit the amount of cola I used to drink, suffice to say it was significantly in excess of 12 cans per day, 6 days a week). Made the choice to drop it in Jan 2011 - went cold turkey for the first 3 months. Had 3 weeks worth of mild headaches from the sudden changes in caffiene and sugar - I don't have any other forms of caffiene anyway, and never drank cola for that reason. Now I've found a balance - occassionally I'll have one or two, but I stick to a couple of the lower sugar varieties. Saxby's Diet Ginger Beer is a good one, it's about 1.5cal per stubbie (330ml bottle) and doesn't taste like a diet drink.

I would echo the sentiments that you need to go cold, I would say for as long as it takes for the headaches to stop and ANY craving for it goes away - at that point you can have the odd one on special occassions and you won't feel deprived.

If you want flavour in water, infuse jugs in the fridge with citrus wedges - lemon, lime, orange, etc. Otherwise a no added sugar cordial (not sure what this would be called around the world) is a decent option - something like this: http://www.cottees.com.au/html/PAGES/ProductDetail.aspx?catID=1&pID=17 - if you make it from icy cold water you can put a lot less cordial in the water and you won't notice.
  • obliviatenox
    obliviatenox Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a can of diet pepsi every day. Now that I've been using MFP, I've not been drinking them so much. Now I'm rarely drinking them, only if I'm out or something on occasion. Instead, I drink more water than I ever did before and I am definitely noticing a good difference.
  • meowkapow
    meowkapow Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water and juice! Start decreasing the amount of juice then go plain sparkling water :)
  • stephcalcott
    stephcalcott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    First off - good for you for trying to stop the soda habit! Switching to diet isn't really a good idea because the artificial sweeteners are no better for you than the sugar. I'm not sure exactly how it works but they trick your body into thinking it's getting sugar so you get the same insulin response (something like that - someone else here might have more information).

Try everything and see what sticks - iced tea, iced tea with lemon, water - with lemon or lime or oranges or even cucumber, sparkling water, there are some flavored sparkling waters that don't have artificial sweeteners - just enough flavor so it doesn't taste plain. Eventually you'll find what you like and stick to it.

I used to drink a TON of soda - I LOVED diet Dr. Pepper. It was super hard to stop, but I just went cold turkey and did it. About 6 months after I stopped drinking soda I decided to treat myself to a diet Dr. Pepper and it tasted awful! I was sad because I was so looking forward to it but happy that it wouldn't tempt me any more :) Good luck!!!
  • mrscruz625
    mrscruz625 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Check out this site for yummy water "recipes" http://www.loseweightbyeating.com
    I am drinking the cucumber lemon one today. I never thought that would be good. It is refreshing with a light flavor!
  • Katie_a_Mae_zing
    Options
    Soda addiction is serious business. I stopped drinking soda (for the most part) about 2 years ago. My boyfriend has a serious addiction, so I decided we would stop buying them. It was weird at first..but we started making pitchers and pitchers of Iced Black Tea instead. Iced Tea is delicious as has little calories (I drink mine with only ice), so it was a great substitute. Slowly I weaned to plain water, which I love now. Carry a water bottle with you at all times, and everytime you look at it, take a drink.

Good luck!
  • lauralu89
    Options
    A couple years back I tried to give up soda but it didnt really work for me so I would only drink water then at dinner time I would have one soda of whatever I pleased. It really worked for me if I try to give up soda now it will only be harder because my fiancee drinks soda like no tmrw thats all he will ever drink he hates water. I also love Crystal Light it really made wanting to drink water so much better for me. GOOD LUCK!
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    Diet anything is bad for weight loss. So, turning to diet soda is not a good idea for sure. I only drink water and milk. I slowly got into the habit of always ordering water when at a restuarant because the guy I was dating at the time would do that. Overtime, it just became a natural thing because it was healthier and no calories. Now, I find drinking soda difficult because I am not used to it, and it sometimes hurts my stomach.

That probably isn't the best advice, but I would just try to make water more of a routine and remind yourself that you are drinking unneccessary sugar and calories and it is NOT going to make you feel full. So, it is doing nothing for you.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    add flavor to your water...I drink pellegrino if i want fizzy..but I do have an occasional soda now since i can have one and be happy..
  • ERMBSN
    ERMBSN Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Giving up soda is easy. The first few days are the toughest. I went from 2 liters aday down to zero. That was 9 months ago. Don't bother with siet soda. It worse for you than regular.
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    oops, I lied. I drink coffee too. UGH. Now THAT is something I want to give up forever.
  • Jedi_Jewel
    Jedi_Jewel Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I gave up drinking coke two years ago. I used to drink about a two liter every day. I drink nothing but water, (sometimes flavored), unsweet tea, and coffee now. I did have headaches the first week after I quit, but I think they would have been worse if I wasn't still getting caffeine in the morning (I would drink a 32oz of unsweet tea). Watching people drink soda now makes me shudder. It is so bad for you, diet or not! Good luck in your journey! Like everything else, you have to find what works for you, there are lots of options out there!
  • linemanswife
    linemanswife Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I definately agree with you - sodas are my number one enemy when it comes to weight loss - they are my biggest baddest habit! I do not like diet sodas either and I really don't think they are good for you anyways. I have been trying to just have one soda a day for right now and if I go out to eat for lunch and have a soda, I fill the whole cup up with ice first then add the soda. The other thing that has helped me is by drinking lemon water - I actually buy the Minute Maid pure lemon juice that can be found in grocer's freezer next to frozen lemonades/orange juices etc. I add some to my water and sometimes I can drink half the bottle right away because it tastes so good. Also, lemon water is suppose to be good for you and good for weight loss. Best of luck to you - stay focused and you can do it!! ;)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Think of it in terms other than just weight loss -- your health, your teeth. Soda's kinda just...toxic garbage. << That's what I'm telling myself. :)
  • brittanyc92
    Options
    Good luck with the headaches :/ just keep drinking water! Good luck!
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Dont drink pop, dont buy it. Simple as that. Theres no words of wisdom or tips, just dont bother getting it. Always opt for water before pop.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I haven't had soda since mid 2010 and I don't miss it anymore. Yay! (I did miss it for the first six months, which sucked, but I'm glad I no longer have that habit...or expense! :)
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Dont drink pop, dont buy it. Simple as that. Theres no words of wisdom or tips, just dont bother getting it. Always opt for water before pop.

Uhhh...holy hell...are you real? I just caught a glimpse of your photo after I posted my comment. You are amazingly hot!

Okay, just had to say that. That is all. :)
  • Granny166
    Options
    Really liked your rule of thumb on the amount of water to drink each day.....thanks for the tip!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!